Main Article Content
Purpose of Study: Wireless mesh network represents a solution to provide wireless connectivity. There are some attacks on wireless sensor networks like black hole attack, sinkhole attack, Sybil attack, selective forwarding, etc. In this paper, we will concentrate on a selective forwarding attack. Selective Forwarding Attack is one of the many security threats in wireless sensor networks that can degrade network performance. An adversary on the transmission path selectively drops the packet. The adversary same time transfers the packet, while on a few occasions it drops the packet. It is diﬃcult to detect this type of attack since the packet loss may be due to unreliable wireless communication. The proposed scheme is based on the trust value of each node. During data transmission, a node selects a downstream node that has the highest trust value, which is updated dynamically based on the number of packets a node has forwarded and dropped.
Methodology: A comparative methodology is used in all existing schemes. We compared our scheme with the existing scheme and found that the packet loss in the proposed scheme is much less than the existing scheme.
Result: We showed that our scheme essentially detects malicious nodes for each possible scenario. Regarding communication overhead, our scheme is more efficient than typical multipath schemes. Also, by utilizing an existing routing protocol which is secure against sinkhole attacks, our scheme also provides security against sinkhole attacks.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- A. Boukerche (2013). Performance evaluation of routing protocols for ad hoc wireless networks. Mobile Networks and Applications, Vol.9, No.4, pp.333-342. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:MONE.0000031592.23792.1c
- A. Kim, S. Pakzad, D. Culler, J. Demmel, G. Fenves, S. Glaser, M. Turon (2006). The routing protocol in wireless mesh network: challenges and design considerations. In Proc. Springer Science LLC. pp. 285-303.
- CIanF. Akyildiz, XudongWang, Weilin Wang (2010). Wireless Mesh Network: A Survey, 1-5, 28-29 Dec. 2010
- Gautam U, Singh, G (2014). A Comparison of TCP Performance over Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science & Technology, Vol2 Issue 2, Ver 2, pg-436-442.
- H.M. Nyo and P. Viriyaphol, “Detecting and Eliminating Black Hole in AODV Routing”, IEEE, Jan 2011,pp.1-4
- Singh G (2014). Study of performance of routing protocols for mobile ad-hoc networking in ns-2. IJAICT, Vol 1, Issue 3, pg 299-306.
- Singh, G., Dubey, D. O. P., & Dey, M. (2017). Using an ns-2 comparison of geographical and topological multicast routing protocols on wireless ad hoc networks. International Journal of Students’ Research in Technology & Management, 5(4), 01-07. https://doi.org/10.18510/ijsrtm.2017.541
- Wu]V. Park and M. S. Corson, “A Highly Adaptive Distributed Routing Algorithm for Mobile Wireless Networks”, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 11, Kobe, Japan (2011).
- YS.R. Das, C. E. Perkins and E. M. Royer (2011). Performance comparison of two on-demand routing protocols for ad hoc networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM)”, Tel Aviv, Israel, pp.312.