Main Article Content
Purpose of Study: The IoT is an emerging field nowadays and that can be used anywhere in automation, agriculture, controlling as well as monitoring of any object, which exists in the real world. We have to make use of IoT in Agriculture to increase productivity. Agro-industry processes could be more efficient by using IoT. It gives automation to agro-industry by reducing human intervention. In the current scenario, the sometime farmer doesn’t know the current status of the soil moisture and other things related to their land and don’t produce productive results towards crops. The purpose of this research study is to explore the usage of IoT devices and application areas that are being used in agriculture.
Methodology: The methodology behind this study is to identify trends and review the open challenges, application areas and architectures for IoT in agro-industry. This survey is based on a systematic literature review where related research is grouped into four domains such as monitoring, control, prediction, and logistics.
Main Findings: This research study presents a detailed work of the eminent researchers and designs of computer architecture that can be applied in agriculture for smart farming. This research study also highlights various unfolded challenges of IoT in agriculture.
Implications: This study can be beneficial for farmers, researchers, and professionals working in agricultural institutions for smart farming.
Novelty/Originality of the study: Various eminent researchers have been making efforts for smart farming by using IoT concepts in agriculture. But, a bouquet of unfolded challenges is still in a queue for their effective solution. This study makes some efforts to discuss past research and open challenges in IoT based agriculture.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
- Alexandratos, N. and J. Bruinsma (2012). World agriculture towards 2030/2050: the 2012 revision. ESA Working paper No. 12-03. Rome, FAO. pp. 14.
- Athani, S. and Tejeshwar, C. H. (2017). Soil moisture monitoring using IoT enabled arduino sensors with neural networks for improving soil management for farmers and predict seasonal rainfall for planning future harvest in North Karnataka – India. ISMAC, IEEE. 43–48. https://doi.org/10.1109/I-SMAC.2017.8058385
- Barman A., Neogi B., Pal S. (2020). Solar-Powered Automated IoT-Based Drip Irrigation System. In: Pattnaik P., Kumar R., Pal S., Panda S. (eds) IoT and Analytics for Agriculture. Studies in Big Data, vol 63. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-9177-4_2
- Ehsan, S., Bradford, K., Brugger, M., Hamdaoui, B., Kovchegov, Y., Johnson, D., Louhaichi, M., (2012). Design and analysis of delay-tolerant sensor networks for monitoring and tracking free-roaming animals. IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun. 11, 1220–1227. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2012.012412.111405.
- Fourati, M.A., Chebbi, W., Kamoun, A., (2014). Development of a web-based weather station for irrigation scheduling. 3rd International Colloquium in Information Science and Technology (CIST). IEEE, pp. 37–42. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/CIST.2014.7016591
- Jain, V.R., Bagree, R., Kumar, A., Ranjan, P., (2008). wildCENSE: GPS based animal tracking system. International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP). IEEE, pp. 617–622. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISSNIP.2008.4762058 .
- Langendoen, K., Baggio, A., Visser, O., (2006). Murphy loves potatoes experiences from a pilot sensor network deployment in precision agriculture. 20th International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), vol. 2006. IEEE, Rhodes Island, pp. 1530–2075. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/IPDPS.2006.163941.
- Lee, M., Hwang, J., Yoe, H., (2013). Agricultural production system based on IoT. 16th International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE), IEEE, pp. 833–837. https://doi.org/10.1109/CSE.2013.126
- Li, M., Chen, G., Zhu, Z., (2013). Information service system of agriculture IoT. Automatika - J. Control, Meas. Electron. Comput. Commun. 54, pp. 415–426. https://doi.org/10.7305/automatika.54-4.413
- Liping, W., (2012). Study on agricultural products logistics mode in Henan Province of China. Software Eng. Knowledge Eng.: Theorsy Practice, Springer, pp. 635–640. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-25349-2_84
- Luan, Q., Fang, X., Ye, C., Liu, Y. (2015). An integrated service system for agricultural drought monitoring and forecasting and irrigation amount forecasting. 23rd International Conference on Geoinformatics. IEEE, pp. 1–7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/GEOINFORMATICS.2015.7378617
- Mafuta, M., Zennaro, M., Bagula, A., Ault, G., Gombachika, H., Chadza, T., (2012). Successful De ployment of a Wireless Sensor Network for Precision Agriculture in Malawi. 3rd International Conference on Networked Embedded Systems for Every Application (NESEA), IEEE, pp. 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1109/NESEA.2012.6474009
- Monisha, S., Minnie Peter, S., Namratha KS, Thakur, C., Taskeen, S. & Taskeen, SP. (2019). Internet of Things (IOT) based Irrigation System With and Without Internet and Pump Set Control. Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology , 18(1), pp -11-14.
- Pahuja, R., Verma, H., Uddin, M., (2013). A wireless sensor network for greenhouse climate control. IEEE Pervasive Computing., 12, pp. 49–58. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPRV.2013.26
- Pang, Z., Chen, Q., Han, W., Zheng, L., (2015). Value-centric design of the internet-of things solution for food supply Chain: value creation, sensor portfolio and information fusion. Inform. Syst. Front. 17, 289–319. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10796-012-9374-9
- Postolache, O., Pereira, M., Gir ao, P., (2013). Sensor network for environment monitoring: water quality case study. 4th Symposium on Environmental Instrumentation and Measurements, pp. 30–34.
- Putjaika, Narayut, et al (2016). A control system in an intelligent farming by using arduino technology. Student Project Conference (ICT-ISPC), Fifth ICT International. IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICT-ISPC.2016.7519234
- Roy, S.K., Roy, A., Misra, S., Raghuwanshi, N.S., Obaidat, M.S., (2015). AID: A prototype for agricultural intrusion detection using wireless sensor network. IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC). pp. 7059–7064. http://dx.doi/10.1109/ICC.2015.7249452
- Sales, Nelson, Orlando, R. & Artur, A. (2015). Wireless sensor and actuator system for smart irrigation on the cloud. IEEE 2nd World Forum on Internet of Things (WF-IoT). https://doi.org/10.1109/WF-IoT.2015.7389138
- Saville, R., Hatanaka, K., Wada, M., (2015). ICT application of real-time monitoring and estimation system for set-net fishery. OCEANS, pp. 1–5. https://doi.org/10.23919/OCEANS.2015.7404524
- Shanmugasundaram, R., Pavithra, S., Sangeetha, V.,Tamilselvan, S. & Thanveer, A. H. (2017). IoT based animal tracking and monitoring system in zoo. South Asian Journal of Engineering and Technology, 3(2), pp. 162–168. https://doi.org/10.23883/IJRTER.2017.3035.QUDPB
- Shuwen, W., Changli, Z., (2015). Study on farmland irrigation remote monitoring system based on ZigBee. International Conference on Computer and Computational Sciences (ICCCS). IEEE, pp. 193–197. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCACS.2015.7361348
- Siddagangaiah, S. (2016). A Novel Approach to IoT Based Plant Health Monitoring System. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET), 3(11), pp. 880-886.
- Singh, G., Kumar, G., Bhatnagar, V., Srivastava, A., & Jyoti, K. (2019). Pollution management through internet of things: a substantial solution for society. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 7(5), 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2019.75162
- Watthanawisuth, N., Tuantranont, A., Kerdcharoen, T., (2009). Microclimate real-time monitoring based on zigbee sensor network. Sensors, IEEE, pp. 1814–1818. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSENS.2009.5398587
- Xijun, Y., Limei, L., Lizhong, X., (2009). The application of wireless sensor network in the irrigation area automatic system. International Conference on Networks Security, Wireless Communications and Trusted Computing (NSWCTC),IEEE, 1. pp. 21–24. https://doi.org/10.1109/NSWCTC.2009.118
- Yoo, S.E., Kim, J.E., Kim, T., Ahn, S., Sung, J., Kim, D., (2007). A2S automated agriculture system based on WSN. IEEE International Symposium on Consumer Electronics, pp. 1–5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISCE.2007.4382216.
- Zou, C.-J., (2014). Research and implementation of agricultural environment monitoring based on internet of things. 5th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Engineering Applications (ISDEA). IEEE, pp. 748–752. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/ISDEA.2014.170