Main Article Content
Purpose of Study: The purpose of this study is to investigate the efficiency of bus bay compare to the curbside bus stop in a midblock road segment of Dhaka city.
Methodology: Vehicle composition and traffic volume were counted on-peak hours for the midblock of Azimpur road near the existing bus stop. Simulation models were developed in VISSIM, where Model 1 represented the existing road scenario with curbside bus stop, and Model 2 represented the same road segment with a bus bay.
Main findings: The simulation result showed that Model 2 outperformed Model 1 due to the presence of bus bay. Comparing Model 1, travel time and delay reduced by varying 1.80% to 12.5% and 6.25% to 100% respectively in Model 2 during the simulation. Similarly, average speed increased by 1.39% and density decreased by 61.29% in model 2.
Application of this study: Curbside bus stops result in abrupt halt, disrupt traffic flow, and queuing of the small-sized vehicle behind buses. These bus stops caused traffic congestion and delays in urban roads which can be alleviated by alternatives, such as, bus bay.
The novelty of this study: The bus bay is a good alternative to the curbside bus stop, which can improve existing traffic conditions in urban roads.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
- Bachok, S., Osman, M. M., & Ponrahono, Z. (2014). Passenger's aspiration towards sustainable public transportation system: Kerian District, Perak, Malaysia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 153, 553-565. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.10.088
- Chand, S., & Chandra, S. (2014). Impact Of Bus Stop On Urban Traffic Characteristics–A Review Of Recent Findings. Journal of Society for Transportation and Traffic Studies (JSTS) Vol, 5, 57-72.
- Chand, S., Chandra, S., & Dhamaniya, A. (2014). Capacity drop of urban arterial due to a curb side bus Stop. In International conference on sustainable civil infrastructure, ASCE India section.
- Chen, J., Wang, S., Liu, Z. and Chen, X. (2018). Network-level optimization of bus stop placement in urban areas. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 22(4), 1446-1453. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-017-0075-2
- Cohen, S. L. (1983). Effect of bus turnouts on traffic congestion and fuel consumption (No. HS-035 798).
- Fitzpatrick, K., Hall, K., Finley, M. and Farnsworth, S. (2002). Alternative bus stop configuration: an analysis of the effects of bus bulbs. Journal of Public Transportation, 5(1), 1. https://doi.org/10.5038/2375-0901.5.1.2
- Guo, Z.H., Wang, W. and Lu, J.(2005). Analysis of Road Traffic Flow Affected by Bus Stops Without Bus Bay. Journal of Highway and Transportation Research and Development, 11, 138-143.
- Hasnine, M. S. (2011). Evaluation and development of bus based public transport in Dhaka city. In Proceedings of 4th Annual Paper Meet and 1st Civil Engineering Congress. Retrieved February, vol. 23, p. 2016.
- Hu, X., Xu, N. and Wan, Q. (2018). Study on Impacts of the Bus Bay on Traffic Flow, 97th Annual Conference of Transportation Research Board 2018, No. 18-04452.
- Koshy, R.Z. and Arasan, V.T.(2005). Influence of bus stops on flow characteristics of mixed traffic. Journal of transportation engineering, 131(8), 640-643. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-947X(2005)131:8(640)
- Luo, Q., Zheng, T., Wu, W., Jia, H. and Li, J.(2018). Modeling the effect of bus stops on capacity of curb lane. International Journal of Modern Physics C, 29(03). https://doi.org/10.1142/S0129183118500225
- Luthy, N., Guler, S.I. and Menendez, M.(2016). Systemwide effects of bus stops: bus bays vs. curbside bus stops. 95th Annual Conference of Transportation Research Board 2016, No. 16-0596.
- Mushule, N.(2012). Bus bay performance and its influence on the capacity of road network in Dar Es Salaam. Journal of Engineering and Applied Science, 5, 107-113. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajeassp.2012.107.113
- Nakamura, F., YABE, T. and Suzue, S.(2005). A study on improvement of bus-bay design. Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, 6, 449-456.
- Nguyen-Phuoc, D.Q., Currie, G., De Gruyter, C., Kim, I. and Young, W. (2018). Modelling the net traffic congestion impact of bus operations in Melbourne. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 117, 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2018.08.005
- Rosinbum, T., Grote, W.U.L.F. and Jickling, D. (1991). Bus bay street-related improvements in Phoenix and Tucson. ITE Journal, 61(8), 19-22.
- Wang, C., Ye, Z., Fricker, J. D., Zhang, Y., & Ukkusuri, S. V. (2018). Bus Capacity Estimation using Stochastic Queuing Models for Isolated Bus Stops in China. Transportation Research Record, 2672(8), 108-120. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118777358
- Wang, C., Ye, Z., Wang, Y., Xu, Y., & Wang, W. (2016). Modeling bus dwell time and time lost serving stop in China. Journal of Public Transportation, 19(3), 4. https://doi.org/10.5038/2375-0901.19.3.4
- Xia, Y.X. and Xue, Y. (2010). Analysis of the Effect of Bay-bus-stop on Traffic Flow in One-direction Two Road by the Continuum Model. In 2010 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence, IEEE. 1, 19-22. https://doi.org/10.1109/AICI.2010.11
- Xu, H., Tan, Z.X. and Yang, X.G. (2009). Effection of bus bay on capacity of adjacent Lane. In 2009 Second International Conference on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, IEEE, 3, 579-582. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICICTA.2009.605