Main Article Content
Purpose: As a result of a sudden spreading of an epidemic novel virus, scientifically named COVID-19, this paper has been done to present a contribution towards fighting this virus in Iraq.
Methodology: This investigation is focusing on constructing an engineering mathematical model based on the Suspected, Infected, and Recovered model (SIR), given by Kermack and McKendrick.
Main Findings: Iraqi people are facing and suffering from this COVID-19. Three governorates occupying the locally highest infection levels, plus the world's highest deaths to infected cases ratio of about 11%, are Baghdad, Sulaimani, and Karbala.
Implications: It is showed that the Reproduction ratio R0)K is positive (greater than 1) in the three nominated zones, which means that the epidemic disease will keep spreading in a broad manner and depending on many specific factors. Many effective recommendations are presented to avoid spreading this novel virus via many techniques.
Novelty: SIR model is used to assess epidemic levels in 3 zones.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- Bastola, A., Sah, R., Rodriguez-Morales, A. J., Lal, B. K., Jha, R., Ojha, H. C., et al.(2020). The first 2019 novel coronavirus case in Nepal. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 20, 279-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30067-0 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(20)30067-0
- Cardona-Ospina, J. A., Henao-SanMartin, V., Acevedo-Mendoza, W. F., Nasner-Posso, K. M., Martínez-Pulgarín, D. F., Restrepo-López, A., et al. (2019). Fatal Zika virus infection in the Americas: A systematic review. International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 88, 49-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2019.08.033 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2019.08.033
- He, W., Chen, S., Liu, X., Li, Y., Xiao, Z. and Zhong, N. (2003). Death risk factors of severe acute respiratory syndrome with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Zhongguo Wei Zhong bing Ji jiu Yi xue= Chinese critical care medicine= Zhongguo weizhongbing jijiuyixue, 15, 336-337.
- Holshue, M. L., DeBolt, C., Lindquist, S., Lofy, K. H., Wiesman, J., Bruce, H. et al. (2020). First case of 2019 novel coronavirus in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine, 382, 929-936 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa2001191
- Hui, P. Cook, D. J., Lim, W., Fraser, G. A., and Arnold, D. M.(2011). The frequency and clinical significance of thrombocytopenia complicating critical illness: a systematic review. Chest, 139, 271-278. https://doi.org/10.1 378/chest.10-2243 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.10-2243
- Khurana, D. and Deoke, S. A.(2017). Thrombocytopenia in critically ill patients: Clinical and laboratorial behaviour and its correlation with short-term outcome during hospitalization. Indian journal of critical care medicine: peer-reviewed, official publication of Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine, 21, 861-864. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijccm.IJCCM_279_17 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4103/ijccm.IJCCM_279_17
- Macrotrends (2000). https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/21529/baghdad/population.
- Mattiuzzi, C. and Lippi, G. (2020). Which lessons shall we learn from the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak. Annals of Translational Medicine, 8(3), 48. https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2020.02.06 DOI: https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2020.02.06
- Mission, W. (2020). Report of the who-china joint mission on coronavirus disease 2019 (covid-19). WHO, 2020.
- Pongpirul, W. A., Pongpirul, K., Ratnarathon, A. C., and Prasithsirikul, W. (2020). Journey of a Thai taxi driver and novel coronavirus. New England Journal of Medicine, 382, 1067-1068. https://doi.org/10.10 56/NEJMc2001621 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMc2001621
- Shilani, H. (2000). World Health Organization. COVID-19 Outbreak Cases in Iraq.
- Silverstein, W. K., Stroud, L., Cleghorn, G. E. and Leis, J. A. (2020). First imported case of 2019 novel coronavirus in Canada, presenting as mild pneumonia. The Lancet, 395(10225), 734. https://doi.org/10.101 6/S0140-6736(20)30370-6 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30370-6
- Stroup, D. F., Berlin, J. A., Morton, S. C., Olkin, I., Williamson, G. D., Rennie, D., et al. (2000). Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Jama, 283, 2008-2012. https://doi.org/10 .1001/jama.283.15.2008 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.283.15.2008
- Vanderschueren, S., De Weerdt, A., Malbrain, M., Vankersschaever, D., Frans, E., Wilmer, A., et al. (2000). Thrombocytopenia and prognosis in intensive care. Critical care medicine, 28, 1871-1876. https://doi.org/10 .1097/00003246-200006000-00031 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00003246-200006000-00031
- Yang, M., Ng, M. H. and Li, C. K. (2005). Thrombocytopenia in patients with the severe acute respiratory syndrome. Hematology, 10, 101-105. https://doi.org/10.1080/10245330400026170 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10245330400026170
- Zhao, D., Yao, F., Wang, L., Zheng, L., Gao, Y., Ye, J., et al. (2020). A comparative study on the clinical features of COVID-19 pneumonia to other pneumonia. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 71(15), 456-761. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa247 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa247