Main Article Content
In this paper, AC/DC converters are widely used to get regulated power supply for battery charging and DC motor speed control. SCR converters are preferred in the field of High voltage DC energy transmission, superconductor magnetic energy storage, etc. However these converters have low power factor and also result in higher order harmonics.
This paper proposes the application of Genetic algorithms (GAs) to find the switching angles for line current harmonic reduction in AC/DC type converter. Harmonic reduction is redrafted as an optimization problem and GA is applied.The harmonic elimination methods used in AC/DC converters are similar to those employed in PWM inverters or in AC choppers. The solution is obtained using genetic algorithm tool in MATLAB. The dual objectives of harmonic elimination and output voltage regulation are reframed as an optimization task and the switching instances are identified through the steps of GA.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJSRTM is a SHERPA ROMEO Journal.
- David B Fogel, What is evolutionary computation?, IEEE Spectrum, vol. 37, pp.26-32, February 2000.
- Gerry Moschopoulos,A Simple AC – DC Full-Bridge Converter with Integrated Power-Factor PWM Correction, IEEE Transaction On Industrial Electronics, vol. 50, No. 6, December 2003.
- Hirofumi Akagi, Trends in active power line conditioners, IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 9, pp. 263-268, May 1994.
- Hong-Seok Song, Roger Keil, Peter Mutschler, Jurgen vander Weem and Kwan ghee Nam Advanced Control Scheme for a single phase PWM Rectifier in Traction Applications.
- Jong.H. Kim and Bong.H. Kwon, Unity power factor ZVS ac-to-dc converters with an active filter, IEEE trans . Ind Electron., vol 44, pp. 265-267, Apr 1997.
- Janko Nastran, R.Cajhen, M.Seliger and P.Jereb, Active power filter for nonlinear ac loads, IEEE Trans. Power Electron, vol. 9, pp. 92-96, January 1994.
- Khaled EI-Nagger, Tamer H. Abdel amid, Selective harmonic elimination of new family of multilevel Inverters using genetic algorithm.
- Keith H Sueker, Power factor correction for thyristor equipment in the glass industry, IEEE Trans. Ind. Application, vol.24, pp.49-52, Jan/Feb.1988.
- Maswood and M.H Rashid, Input current harmonic reduction in high power AC/DC rectifiers, Proc. IEEE IECON’91 pp.593-599, 1991.
- Ned Mohan, T. Undeland, and W. Robbins, Power Electronics Converters, Applications and Design, New York: Wiley, 1995.www.industrialelectronics.com.