Main Article Content
Purpose: The purpose of this research is to investigate the determinants of the capital structure of tourism companies in Oman. This study uses the trade-off theory and pecking order theory to postulate hypotheses related to determinants of capital structure.
Methodology: In line with extant literature, size, liquidity, tangibility, growth opportunities, and risk are used as the determinants of the capital structure. The sample in this study includes nine listed tourism companies for the period 2007 to 2016, which aggregates to 90 firm-year observations.
Main findings: The results show that the capital structure of tourism companies is influenced by size, growth, and risk. The trade-off theory and pecking order theory are useful for partially explaining the leverage decisions of Oman's tourism companies.
Implications: The empirical findings of this research imply that tourism companies' corporate managers can make optimal capital structure decisions based on determinants.
Novelty: To the best of the author's knowledge, this study is a first for examining the determinants of capital structure for Oman's tourism companies using data over ten years. It lends support to the determinants identified in prior literature for developed and developing countries.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
- Acaravci, K. (2007). The Existence of inter-Industry Convergence in Financial Ratios: Evidence from Turkey. Investment Management and Financial Innovations. 4(2), 71-76.
- Aftab, 2012. The effect of Corporate Strategy and Capital Structure on Performance of Banking sector of Pakistan. Global Journal of Management and Business Research. 12(17), 21-32.
- Akerlof, G. A. (1970). The market for "lemons": Quality uncertainty and the market mechanism. The quarterly journal of economics, 488-500. https://doi.org/10.2307/1879431
- Alicia, T. (2019). Investopedia. [Accessed 25 December 2019]. Available from World Wide Web: <https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capitalstructure.asp>
- Andersen, T.J. (2005). Risk management, capital structure, and performance: a real options perspective. Global Business and Economics Anthology.,1-19.
- Arulvel, K. and Ajanthan, A. (2013). Capital Structure and Financial Performance: A Study of Listed Trading Companies in Sri Lanka. An International Multidisciplinary Research Journal. 3(6), pp.1-13. https://doi.org/10.5958/j.2249-7137.3.6.001
- Bader Eid, A. (2018). Capital Structure: Definitions, determinants, theories and links with performance literature review. European Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance Research. 6(2), 49-72.
- Baker, M., and Wurgler, J. (2002). Market timing and capital structure. The Journal of Finance, 57, 1-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6261.00414
- Bhaduri, S. (2002). Determinants of corporate borrowing: Some evidence from the Indian corporate structure. Journal of Economics and Finance. 26(2), Summer, 200- 215. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02755986
- Bhaird, C.M. and Lucey, B.. (2010). Determinants of Capital Structure in Irish SMEs. Small Business Economics. 35, 357-375. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11187-008-9162-6
- Booth, L., Aivazian, V., Demirguc, K., A., and Maksimovic, V. (2001). Capital Structure in Developing Countries. Journal of Finance. 56, 87-130. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00320
- Brealey, R. A., Myers, C. & Allen, F. (2011). Principles of Corporate Finance 10th edition: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc., 461-464.
- Brigham, E.F., and Daves, P.R. (2004). Intermediate Financial Management, (8th ed.), Thomson South-Western.
- Brigham, E.F., and Houston, J.F., (2004). Fundamentals of Financial Management (10th ed.), Thomson South-Western.
- Bulan, Yan. (2009). The Pecking order of Financing and the Firm's Life Cycle. Banking and Finance Letters. 1(3), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1347430
- Butt, S., Khan, Z.A., and Nafees, B. (2013). Static Trade-off theory or Pecking Order Theory which one suits best of the financial sector: Evidence from Pakistan. European Journal of Business and Management. 5(23), 31-140.
- Chen, L.H., Lensink, B.W. & Sterken, E. (1999). The determinants of capital structure: Evidence from Dutch panel data. Groningen.
- Chen, Y., and Hammes, k. (2003). Capital Structure: Theories and Empirical Results - A. CERGU’s Project Reports 04. 23(1), 1-32.
- Correa, C.A., Cruz Basso, L.F. and Toshiro Nakamura, W. (2007). “What determines the capital structure of the largest Brazilian firms? An empirical analysis using panel data”, working paper, available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=989047. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.989047
- De. Jong, A. Kabur, R. Nguyen. T.T. (2008). Capital structure around the world: The roles of firm- and country-specific determinants. Journal of Banking and Finance. 32(9), 1954-1969. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2007.12.034
- Deesomsak, R., Paudyal, K., and Pescetto, G. 2004. The determinants of capital structure: evidence from Asia Pacific region. Journal of multinational financial management. 14(4), 387-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mulfin.2004.03.001
- Delfino, M.A. (2006).“Determinantes de la estructura de capital enAme´rica Latina”, workingpaper, Universidad del CEMA, Mayo.
- Drobetz, W., and Fix, R. (2003). What are the Determinants of the Capital Structure? Some Evidence for Switzerland. Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics Working Paper 4. 23(3), 1-38.
- Gibson, B. (2001). Financial structure in Australian small firm. Paper presented at SEAANZ 14thConference, 13-15 September, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Grinblat. M. And Titman. S. (2002). Financial Markets and Corporate Strategy, (2 Ed.), Mark Graw Hill: Irvin.
- Gul, F.. (1999), Growth opportunities capital structure and dividend policies in Japan. The American Economic Review. 5, 141-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-1199(99)00003-6
- Hafiza, N.M. (2015). Determinants of Capital Structure in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in Malaysia. London.
- Hijazi, S. T., & Shah, A. (2004). The Determinants of Capital Structure in Stock Exchange Listed Non-Financial Firms in Pakistan. The Pakistan Development Review, 43(4), 605-618. https://doi.org/10.30541/v43i4IIpp.605-618
- Holmes, S., & Kent, P. (1991). An empirical analysis of the financial structure of small and large Australian manufacturing enterprises. Journal of small business finance, 1(2), 141-154.
- Huang, S.G. and Song, F.M. (2002), The Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from China. Hongkong.China Economic Review, 17, issue 1, p. 14-36. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.320088
- Jensen M.C., and Meckling W.H., (1976). "Theory of the Firm: Managerial Behaviour, Agency Costs, and Ownership Structure", Journal of Financial Economics, 3, 305-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90026-X
- Jensen, M.C., (1986). “Agency Costs of Free Cash flow, Corporate Finance and Takeovers” American Economic Review, 76(2), 323-329.
- Kemsley, D., and Nissim, D. (2002). Valuation of the debt tax shield. The Journal of Finance, 57(5), 2045-2073. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.00488
- Kim, W.S. and Sorensen, E.H. (1986). Evidence on the impact of the agency costs of debt on corporate debt policy. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis. 21(2), pp.131-144. https://doi.org/10.2307/2330733
- Leary, M., and Roberts. (2005). The Pecking Order, Debt Capacity, and Information. Working paper. 37(2),121-144. [Done]
- Lew, S.H. (2012). An Investigation of the Most Appropriate Capital Structure Theory and Leverage level determinants. United Kingdom. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2339968
- Liu, S., Qi, H., & Xie, Y. A. (2020). Executive compensation and capital structure. Applied Economics, 52(8), 825-838. https://doi.org/10.1080/00036846.2019.1659927
- Majumdar, S.K., and Chibber, P. (1999). Capital structure and performance: Evidence from a transition economy on an aspect of corporate governance. Public Choice. 98(3), 287-305. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1018355127454
- Miller, M. (1977). Debt and taxes. Journal of Finance, Vol. 50 No. 5, pp. 261-276. https://doi.org/10.2307/2326758
- Modigliani, F. and Miller, M. H., (1963). Corporate Income Taxes and The Cost Of Capital The American Economic Review, 3(53). 433-443.
- Modigliani. F. and Miller, M. H., (1958). The Cost of Capital, Corporation Finance and The Theory of Investment. The American Economic Review, XLVIII(3), 261-297.
- Morgan, G. A., & Harmon, R. J. (1999). Sampling and external validity. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 38(8), 1051-1053. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199908000-00023
- Myers, S. C. (2001). Capital structure. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 15(2):81-102. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.15.2.81
- Myers, S.C. (1977). Determinants of Corporate Borrowing. Journal of Financial Economics. 5, 147-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(77)90015-0
- Myers, S.C. (1984). The capital structure puzzle. Journal of Finance, Vol. 39 No. 3, pp. 575-92. https://doi.org/10.2307/2327916
- Myers, S.C. (2003). Financing of corporations. Constantinides, G.M., Harris, M., andStulz, R. (Eds), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, Elsevier, Amsterdam. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1574-0102(03)01008-2
- Myers, S.C., and Majluf N., (1984), Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions. When Firms Have Information Investors Do Not Have. Journal of Financial Economics, 13(2), 187-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(84)90023-0
- Nassar, S. (2016). The impact of capital structure on financial performance of the firms: Evidence From Borsa Istanbul. Journal of Business and Financial Affairs. 5(1), 173. https://doi.org/10.4172/2167-0234.1000173
- Newman, A., Gunessee, S., and Hilton, B. (2011). Applicability of financial theories of capital structure to the Chinese cultural context: A study of privately owned SMEs. International Small Business Journal. https://doi.org/10.1177/0266242610370977
- Ngatemin., Azhar, Erlina, Sirojuzilam. (2018). Value of the Firm in Capital Structure perspective. Economics. 6(1), 91-102. https://doi.org/10.2478/eoik-2018-0006
- Perison, G., Bird, R., Brown, R. and Howard, P. (1990). Business Finance. Sydney: McGraw-Hill.
- Prahalathan, B. (2010). The Determinants of Capital Structure: An empirical Analysis of Listed Manufacturing Companies in Colombo Stock Exchange Market in Sri Lanka. ICBI University of Kelaniya.
- Ramadan, A. H. (2009). Determinants of capital structure and the firm’s financial performance: An application on the UK capital market. Doctoral dissertation, University of Surrey.
- Romano, C.A, Tanewski, G.A., and Smyrnios, K.X. (2009). Capital structure decision making: A model for family business. Journal of Business Venturing. 16, 285-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(99)00053-1
- Ross, S. A. (1977). The determination of financial structure: The incentive signaling approach. Bell Journal of Economics, 8(1), 23-40. https://doi.org/10.2307/3003485
- Ross, S.A., Westerfield, R.W. & Jaffe, J. (2002) Corporate Finance (6th ed.), McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Rumeysa, B. and Yusuf, D. (2019). Factoring as a determinant of capital structure for large firms: Theoretical and empirical analysis. Borsa Istanbul Review. 19(3), 273-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bir.2019.05.001
- Saad, N.M. (2010). Corporate Governance Compliance and the effect to capital structure in Malaysia. International Journal of Economics & Finance. 2(1), 105-114. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijef.v2n1p105
- Sbeiti, W. (2010). The determinants of capital structure: evidence from the GCC countries. International Research Journal of from the GCC countries. 47(2), 54–79.
- Shah, A., & Khan, S. (2007). Determinants of capital structure: Evidence from Pakistani panel data. International Review of Business Research Papers. 3(3), 265-282.
- Shyam-Sunder, L., and Myer S.C., (1999). Testing Static Trade-Off and Pecking Order Models of Capital Structure. The Journal of Financial Economics, 51,219-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(98)00051-8
- Siti, R., U. (2012). Determinants of Capital Structure of Firms in the Manufacturing Sector of firms in Indonesia. Netherlands.
- Stiglitz, J. E. 1988. Tax Reform: Theory and Practice. In The Economics of Tax Reform, Bassam Harik, ed. Kalamazoo, MI: W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, pp. 9–30. https://doi.org/10.17848/9780880995573.ch2
- Ward, K. (1993). Corporate Financial Strategy. London: Butterworth Heinemann.
- Zhang, X., and Mirza, S. S. (2015). Determinants of Capital Structure of Firms in Pre-Post Financial Crises: Evidence from China. Journal of Finance and Accounting. 6(12).