Main Article Content
Purpose of study: The purpose of this study was to investigate the tipping consequence of restaurant food service responsiveness.
Methodology: The study employed a descriptive survey approach within Kisumu County in Kenya, with a focus on classified hotel restaurant (dependent). A simple random sampling methodology was applied in the selection of restaurant clients, with a sample size of 384 respondents.
Main Findings: According to the study, tipping was found to have an effect on foodservice responsiveness (P ˂ 0.05), and thus a clear indication that foodservice responsiveness is dependent on tipping within classified dependent restaurants in Kisumu County, Kenya.
Limitations: The study captured dependent restaurants in star-rated hotels within Kisumu County. Therefore, the results of the study may be applied with caution outside the scope of the study.
Social Implications: Since its inception, tipping has been thought of as an incentive towards quality food service provision, hence customer satisfaction and retention. However, tipping has had a negative influence on foodservice responsiveness and therefore a compromise on food service quality, customer satisfaction and retention.
Originality: There is insufficient literature on the topic, although with a handful on the relationship between service quality and tipping. This study will, therefore, fill the gap and used as a benchmark for other studies within not only the hospitality industry but the entire service industry. As a result, the study will be utilized both in policy and practice.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
- Ala' Nimer, Abukhalifeh & Puad Mat (11th - 12th June 2012.). Guest Satisfaction and Loyalty in Food and Bevarage Service. 2nd International Conference On Management (pp. 996-1008). Holiday Villa Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi Kedah, Malaysia: Researchgate.
- Ali F., Ryan K. & Hussain K., (2016). Creative Tourists' experience, memories, satisfaction and behavioural intentions. Journal of Travel & Tourism. , 85-100, Vol. 33(1). https://doi.org/10.1080/10548408.2015.1038418
- Al Khattab S. (2011). Perceptions of service quality in Jordanian Hotels. International Journal of Business Management, Vol. 6(7), 226-231. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v6n7p226
- Bigler L, Hoaas D. (2016). The Relationship between tipping and Service Quality: The other side of the Equation. Southwestern Economic Review Proceedings (pp. 1726). Louisiana: Centenary College.
- Bitner, M. (1997). Customer contribution and roles in service delivery. International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol. 8. , 193-205. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239710185398
- Bodvarson & Gibson. (2002). Tipping and Service Quality: A reply to Lynn. Social Science Journal Vol. 39, No. 3 , 13-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0362-3319(02)00199-4
- Carev, D. (2008). Guest satisfaction and loyalty study for hotels industry. Thesis. Rochester Institute of Technology, accessed from http://scholarworks.rit.edu/theses
- Chakraborty, S. (2017). Influence of brand loyalty and brand switchers on marketing of mobile phones. Asian Resource, Vol. 6 Issue 3 , 42-44.
- Charity M. & Kazembe., (2014). The Perception of Employees towards Tipping and Motivation in the Hotel Industry. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, Vol. 3, Issue 1. , 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.01.012
- Concern Tourism, (2013). The Impacts of All-Inclusive Hotels on Working Conditions and Labour Rights in Barbados, Kenya and Tenerife. TourismConcern.
- Conie M, Sparks C & Kandapully J. (2013). Service Quality in Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure. New York: Taylor & Francis
- Falk A. & Fischbacher U. (2006). A thery of reciprocity. Games and Economic Behaviour , 293-315, Vol. 54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geb.2005.03.001
- Grandbois Y. (2016). Service science and the information proffesional. New York: Elsevier Ltd.
- Jensen M, C. & Meckling W, H., (1976). Theory of the Firm: Managerial behaviour, agency costs and ownersip structure. Journal of Financial Economics, Volume 3, Issue 4., Pages 305-360. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90026-X
- Kotler P, Bowel J, & Makens J. (2010).Marketing For Hospitality and Tourism. London: Hodder Education.
- Ladhari R. (2009). Service Quality, Emotional satisfaction and behavioral intentions. A study in the hotel Industry. Journal of managing service quality. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Vol.19 (3), 309-331. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520910955320
- Liat, Mansori, Chuan & Imrie., (2017). Hotel Service Recovery and Service Quality: Influences of Corporate Image and Generational Differences between Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty. Journal of Global Marketing, Vol. 30; Issue 1 , 19-42. https://doi.org/10.1080/08911762.2016.1262932
- Lillicrap D, & Cousins J. (2014). Food and Beverage Service, 12th Ed. London: Hodder Education.
- Lugosi P. (2007). Consumer participation in commercial hospitality. International Journal of culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, Vol. 1,No.3. https://doi.org/10.1108/17506180710817756
- Lynn M. (2006). Race Differences in Restaurant Tipping. Journal of Food Service Busiiness Research, Vol. 9, Issue 4. , 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1300/J369v09n04_07
- Lynn M. (2015). Service Gratuities and Tipping: A motivational Framework. Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol. 4, Issue 6 , 74-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2014.12.002
- Lynn M, Jabbour P & Kim G. (2012). Who uses tips as a reward for service and when? An examination of potential moderators of the service-tipping relationship. Journal of Economic Psychology. , 90-103, Vol. 33, Issue 1. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2011.09.009
- Lynn & Sturman (2010). Tipping and Service Quality: A within subjects Analysis. Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research Vol. 2, Issue 1 , 269-275. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348009350637
- Margalioth Y, Sapriti A. & Coloma G (2010). The social norm of tipping, its correlation with inequality, and differences in tax treatment across Countries. Theoretical Inquiries in Law, 11(2) , 1509-1565. https://doi.org/10.2202/1565-3404.1252
- Megan N. (2017). A case study in tipping: An economic Anomaly Crossing boarders. A multidisciplinary Journal of undergraduate scholarship .
- Milos B, Young Soo C, Parsa H & Matt K. (2013). Tipping Practices in Food and Beverage Operations: A longitudinal study. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology, Vol. 1, Issue 3.
- Mohsin A. (2012). Exploring service quality in luxury hotels: Case of Lahore, Pakistan. The Journal of American Academy of Bussines, Cambridge, Vol.16(2), 296-303.
- Mukhles M., (2016). Employee Perspectives of Service Quality in Hotels. Research in Hospitality Management, Vol. 6, Issue 2 , 189-194. https://doi.org/10.1080/22243534.2016.1253287
- Musaba N, & Musaba E, & Hoabeb (2014). Employee aperception of Service Quality in the Namibian Hotel Industry: A SERVQUAL Approach. International Journal of Asian Social Science, Vol.4, Issue 4 , 533-543.
- Nadeliakova, Stefancova & Kudlac. (2017). Six Sigma models application as an important quality management tool in railway companies. 10th International Scientific Conference transbaltica 2017: Transportation Science and Technology, Procedia Engineering. (pp. 241-248). Slovakia: Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.371
- Namasivayam, K. & Hinkin T. (2003). The customers Role in the Service Encounter: The effects of Control and fairness. Cornel Hotel and Restuarant Quartely, Volume 44, Issue 3. , 26-36. https://doi.org/10.1177/001088040304400303
- Nguyen Hue, Nguyen Thu Ha, Phan Chi & Yoshiki. (2015). Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction: A case Study of Hotel Industry in Vietnam. Asian Social Sciences, Vol.11, No. 10, 73-85. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v11n10p73
- Parasuraman A, Zeithmal V, and Berry L. (1988). SERVQUAL: A multiple-item scale for Measuring Consumer perception of service quality. Journal of Retailing. , 14-40, Vol.64 (1).
- Rauch D, Collins M, Nale R & Barr B. (2015). Measuring Quality in mid-scale hotels. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality management. , 87-106, Vol. 27 (1). https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-06-2013-0254
- Stephen J, Kevia M & Mike B. (2011). Customer Perceived Service Quality in Fast Foods. Eduactaors Conference (pp. 1-19). Drury Plaza at the Arch, St. Louis: Marketing Management Association.
- Suhartanto & Kandampully. (2000). Customer Loayalty in the Hotel Industry: The role of Customer Satisfaction and Image. International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 12; issue 6 , 346-351. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596110010342559
- Susskind, A. (2002). "I told you So": Restaurant customers' word-of-mouth communication patterns. Cornel Hospitality Quarterly, No. 43. https://doi.org/10.1177/001088040204300208
- Wang S. & Lynn M. (2013). The indirect effects of tipping policilies on patronage intentions through perceived expensiveness, fairness and quality. Journal of Economic Psychology. , 62-71, Vol. 31. An emarging model. Cornell Hospitality Quarterly. , 17-26, Vol.43 (4). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2013.07.003
- Wang, L., (2010). An Investigation and analysis of U.S. restaurant tipping practices and the relationship to service quality with recommendations for field application. UNLV Theses, Dissertations, Professional Papers, and Capstones. 659. http://digitalscholarship.unlv.edu/thesesdissertations/659
- Wang, S., & Lynn, M., (2013). The indirect effects of tipping policilies on patronage intentions through perceived expensiveness, fairness and quality. Journal of Economic Psychology. , 62-71, Vol. 31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2013.07.003