Main Article Content
Purpose of the study: This study aims to examine five proposed research models and understand the factors affecting customer expectation, service quality, perceived value, customer satisfaction, and brand loyalty in Online Travel Agent (OTA) companies. This study also evaluates the general feelings of the customers whether they feel satisfied or not with OTA products and/or services.
Methodology: The research method of this study used a quantitative approach and analyzed the acquired data by using single and multiple linear regression techniques. The service quality, customer expectation, corporate image, perceived value, customer satisfaction, known as predictor variables that affect the dependent variable of brand loyalty.
Main Findings: From the statistical tests conducted in this study, it reveals that only one out of all eleven hypotheses were not accepted. Surprisingly it reveals that the customers keep purchase hotel and/or flight tickets from online travel booking sites no matter its service quality. Customer satisfaction and corporate image were influenced more significantly rather than its service quality.
Implication: This study evaluates all customers past purchasing behaviors of the hotel and/or flight tickets purchased through OTA, and the result was valid, thus it can be used to reflect on how Indonesian OTA’s products and services may improve the customer satisfaction through their marketing program in the future.
Novelty/Originality of this study: There have been problems that might found in Indonesian OTAs that may lower its customer satisfaction level toward the traveling industry. However, there was only a limited number of OTA research studies conducted for the Indonesia market to understand its online consumer behavior. Therefore this study was conducted to explore the plausible factors that cause the problem.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
- Armstrong, G. & Kotler, P. (2011). Marketing: An Introduction, Global Edition, 10th ed., Pearson.
- Badan Pusat Statistik. (2015). Jumlah Keberangkatan Penumpang dan Barang di Bandara Indonesia Tahun 1999–2015. Indonesia: Kementerian PPN / Bappenas.
- Baron, R. M. & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The Moderator-Mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Bearden, W. O. & Teel, J. E. (1983). Selected Determinants of Consumer Satisfaction and Complaint Reports. Journal of Marketing Research, 20, 21-28. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151408
- Bloemer, J. & Schroder, G. O. (2002). Store satisfaction and store loyalty explained by customer- and store-related factors. Journal of Consumer Satisfaction, Dissatisfaction and Complaining Behavior, 15, 68.
- C. –C. (2011). The impact of hospital brand image on service quality, patient satisfaction and loyalty. African Journal of Business Management, 5(12), 4873-4882.
- Das, K., Gryseels, M., Sudhir, P. & Tan, K. T. (2016). Unlocking Indonesia’s digital opportunity. McKinsey&Company, Indonesia.
- Deloitte. (2015). Travel Consumer 2015: Enganging the empowered holidaymaker. London: The Creative Studio at Deloitte.
- Farooq, M. S., Salam, M., Fayolle, A., Jaafar, N., & Ayupp, K. (2018). Impact of service quality on customer satisfaction in Malaysia airlines: A PLS-SEM approach. Journal of Air Transport Management, 67, 169-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2017.12.008
- Gray, E. R., & Balmer, J. M.T. (1998). Managing Corporate Image and Corporate Reputation. Long Range Planning, 31(5), 695-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-6301(98)00074-0
- Gures, N., Arslan, S., & Tun, S. Y. (2014). Customer Expectation, Satisfaction and Loyalty Relationship in Turkish Airline Industry. International Journal of Marketing Studies, 6(1). https://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ijms.v6n1p66
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., & Babin, B. J. (2010). Multivariate Data Analysis: A Global Perspective, 7th ed., New Jersey, USA: Pearson.
- Hapsari, R., Clemes, M., & Dean, D. (2016). The Mediating Role of Perceived Value on the Relationship between Service Quality and Customer Satisfaction: Evidence from Indonesian Airline Passengers. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35, 388–395. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)00048-4
- Hauke, J., & Kossowski, T. (2011). COMPARISON OF VALUES OF PEARSON’S AND SPEARMAN’S CORRELATION COEFFICIENTS ON THE SAME SETS OF DATA. QUAESTIONES GEOGRAPHICAE, 30(2). https://doi.org/10.2478/v10117-011-0021-1
- Hussain, R., Nasser, A. A., & Hussain, Y. K. (2015). Service quality and customer satisfaction of a UAE-based airline: An empirical investigation. Journal of Air Transport Management, 42, 167-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2014.10.001
- Jiang, H. & Zhang, Y. (2016). An investigation of service quality, customer satisfaction and loyalty in China's airline market. Journal of Air Transport Management, 57, 80-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2016.07.008
- Johnson, M. D., Gustafsson, A., Andreassen, T. W., Lervik, L., & Cha, J. (2001). The evolution and future of national customer satisfaction index models, Journal of Economic Psychology, 22(2), 217-245. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4870(01)00030-7
- Kaiser, H. F. (1974). An index of factorial simplicity. Psychometrika, 39, 31-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02291575
- Keller, K. L. (1993). Conceptualizing, Measuring, and Managing Customer-Based Brand Equity. Journal of Marketing, vol. 57, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224299305700101
- Kotler, P. (2000). Marketing Management, Millenium Edition, 10th ed., Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Lahap, J., Ramli, N. S., Said, N. M., Radzi, S. M., & Zain, R. A. (2016). A Study of Brand Image toward’s Customer’s Satisfaction in the Malaysian Hotel Industry. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 224, 149-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.05.430
- McDougall, G. H. & Levesque, T. (2000). Customer satisfaction with services: putting perceived value into the equation. Journal of Services Marketing, 14(5), 392-410. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040010340937
- Moore, B, Akib, K. & Sugden, S. (2018). E-commerce in Indonesia: A guide for Australian business. Austrade-Amplitude.
- Oliver, R. L. (1980). A Cognitive Model of the Antecedents and Consequences of Satisfaction Decisions. Journal of Marketing Research, 17, 460-469. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378001700405
- Parasuraman, A, Zeithaml, V. A. & Berry, L. L. (1985). A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Its Implications for Future Research. The Journal of Marketing, 49, 41-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251430
- Park, J. W., Robertson, R., & Wu, C. – L. (2004). The effect of airline service quality on passengers’ behavioural intentions: a Korean case study. Journal of Air Transport Management, 10 (6), 435–439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jairtraman.2004.06.001
- Ren, L., Qiu H., Wang, P., & Lin, P.M. C. (2016). Exploring customer experience with budget hotels: dimensionality and satisfaction. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 52, 13-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.09.009
- Stine, R. & Foster, D. (2014). Statistics for Business: Decision Making and Analysis, 2nd ed., Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Sun, K.-A. & Kim, D.-Y. (2013). Does customer satisfaction increase firm performance? An Application of American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI). International Journal of Hospitality Management, 35, 68-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2013.05.008
- W & S Market Research. (2014). Online Hotel & Ticket Booking Sites in Indonesia. Indonesia: PT. Nusaresearch Company.
- Wellman, K. (2015). Travelers are Willing to Pay Airports & Airlines a Premium for More Convenience, Communication & Choice. BusinessWire.com.
- Woodruff, R. B. (1997). Customer value: The next source for competitive advantage. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 25, 139-153. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02894350
- Wu, C.-C. (2011). The impact of hospital brand image on service quality, patient satisfaction and loyalty. African Journal of Business Management, 5(12), 4873-4882.
- Zeithaml, V. A. & Parasuraman, A. (2005). E-S-QUAL: A Multiple-Item Scale for Assessing Electronic Service Quality. Journal of Service Research, 7, 213-233. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670504271156