Main Article Content
Problem-Based Learning, Learning Independence, Ability of Research Statistical Concept, Correlational research design
Purpose of the study: The purpose of this study is to investigate the process from which students understand the concepts of research statistics and learning independence on the subject of research statistics. And their relationship between understanding the concept with independence and PBL learning models
Methodology: This research was conducted at Madrasah Ibtidaiyah Teacher Education (Primary Teacher Education/PGMI) State Islamic Institute (IAIN) Bengkulu in which the samples used were students of 6 semester and students of 8 semesters. The research method was qualitative and quantitative with correlational research design, with total samples 295 with total sampling. The research instruments were by using independence questionnaires and multiple-choice questions. The data were analyzed by using simple regression analysis.
Main Findings: Problem Based Learning (PBL) has a significant relationship with the understanding concept research statistical subject and learning independence.
Implication/Applications of this study: Understanding the statistical concepts of research. Because the statistical theory is useful in completing a student's final project (essay.it would be helpful for students to use this model to study of research statistics.
Novelty/Originality of this study: No study has been done so for on this sample.
2. Asrial, A., Syahrial, S., Kurniawan, D. A., Subandiyo, M., & Amalina, N. Exploring obstacles in language learning among prospective primary school teacher. International Journal of Evaluation and Research in Education (IJERE),8(2), 249-254. 2019. http://doi.org/10.11591/ijere.v8i2.16700
3. Astalini, A., Kurniawan, D. A., Sulistiyo, U., Perdana. R., & Susbiyanto, S. (2019). E-Assessment Motivation in Physics Subjects for Senior High School. International Journal of Online and Biomedical Engineering (iJOE), 15(11), 4-15. https://doi.org/10.3991/ijoe.v15i11.10843
4. Astalini, Kurniawan, D. A., Darmaji., Sitorus, L. R., Perdana, R. (2019). Characteristic Of Students Attitude To Physics In Muaro Jambi High School. Humanities & Social Science Reviews. 7(2), 91-99. 2019. https://doi.org/1018510/hssr.2019.7210
5. Astalini, Kurniawan, D. A., Perdana, R., & Kurniawan, W. Identification Attitudes of Learners on Physics Subject. EST Journal of Educational Science and Technology. 5(1), 39-48. 2019. https://doi.org/10.26858/est.v5i1.8231
6. Balapumi, R., & Aitken, A. (2012). Concepts and factors influencing independent learning in IS higher education. In ACIS 2012: Location, location, location: Proceedings of the 23rd Australasian Conference on Information Systems 2012 (pp. 1-10). ACIS.
7. Bramucci, Annarita. (2013). Self-Regulated Learning: Theories and Potential Applications and Didactics. Inteligent Tutor: Lifelong Learning, 1-22.
8. Brahmakasikara, Laura. (2013). Learning Styles And Academic Achievement Of English Iii Students At Assumption University Of Thailand. ABAC Journal, 33(3), 41-52
9. Creswell, J., W. (2012). Educational Research Quantitative and Qualitative. Lincoln : University of Nebraska, 1-138
10. Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2005). Research Methods in Education. London : RouledgeFalmer, 1-135
11. Darmaji, D., Kurniawan, D. A., & Irdianti, I. Physics education students’ science process skills. International Journal of Evaluation and Research in Education (IJERE),8(2), 293-298. 2019. http://doi.org/10.11591/ijere.v8i2.16401
12. Demirel, Dagyar. (2016). Effects of Problem-Based Learning on Attitude: A Metaanalysis Study. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science & Technology Education. 12(8), 2115-2137. https://doi.org/10.12973/eurasia.2016.1293a
13. Department of National Education, 2003. The Law Number 20 in 2003, About National Education System, Jakarta: Depdiknas. 1-50.
14. Duda, H. J., Susilo, H., & Newcombe, P. (2019). Enhancing Different Ethnicity Science Process Skills: Problem-Based Learning through Practicum and Authentic Assessment. International Journal of Instruction, 12(1). 1207-1222. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2019.12177a
15. Ersoy, E. (2014). The effects of problem-based learning method in higher education on creative thinking. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 116, 3494-3498. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.790
16. Gall.D.M. Education Research an introduction seventh edition. USA : Pearson Education.Inc. 2003.
17. Gillette, C. M. (2017). Consideration of Problem-Based Learning in Athletic Training Education. Athletic Training Education Journal, 12(3), 195-201. https://doi.org/10.4085/1203195
18. Gordon, S. (2004). Understanding students’ experiences of statistics in a service course. Statistics Education Research Journal, 3(1), 40-59.
19. Guncaga, J., Zawadowski, W., & Prodromou. (2019). Visualisation of Selected Mathematics Concepts with Computers – the Case of Torricelli’s Method and Statistics. European Journal of Contemporary Education. 8(1), 69-91. https://doi.org/10.13187/ejced.2019.1.69
20. Ho, A., Watkins, D., & Kelly, M. (2001). The conceptual change approach to improving teaching and learning: An evaluation of a Hong Kong staff development programmer. Higher Education, 42(2), 143–169. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1017546216800
21. Jitsoonthornchaikul, M. (2014). How To Cultivate Individual Wisdom For Learning. ABAC Journal, 34 (2) 34-45.
22. Karlina, N., Rusli, B., Suryanto., & Candradewini. (2019). An Analysis Of Social Capital In Empowerment Community At Uninhabitable House’s Renovation Fund Onwest Bandung Regency. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews. 7(3), 74-79.https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2019.7311
23. Kerlinger, F. N. Foundations of behavioral research. Yogyakarta: Gadjah Mada University Press. 2014.
24. Khusainova, R. M., Shilova, Z. V., & Curteva, O. V. (2016). Selection of appropriate statistical methods for research results processing. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 11(1), 303-315.
25. Kunnari, I., & Ilomäki, L. (2016). Reframing teachers’ work for educational innovation. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 53(2), 167-178. https://doi.org/10.1080/14703297.2014.978351
26. Kurniawan, D, A., Astalini., & Anggraini,L. (2018). Evaluation of SMP Attitudes Towards Natural Sciences in Muaro Jambi Regency. Jurnal Ilmiah Didaktika: Media Ilmiah Pendidikan dan Pengajaran. 19(1), 123-139. 2018. http://dx.doi.org/10.22373/jid.v19i1.4198
27. Leppink, J., Broers, J.N., & Imbos, T. (2013). The Effect Of Guidance In Problem-Based Learning Of Statistic. The Journal of Experimental Education. 82(3), 391-407. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220973.2013.813365.
28. Li, L. K. (2012). A study of the attitude, self-efficacy, effort and academic achievement of city U students towards research methods and statistics. Discovery–SS Student E-Journal, 1(54), 154-183.
29. Mahasneh, Ahmad, M. (2018). Investigation of the Relationship between Teaching and Learning Conceptions and Epistemological Beliefs among Student Teachers from Hashemite University in Jordan. Europe Journal of Contemporary Education. 7(3), 531-540. https://doi.org/10.13187/ejced.2018.3.531
30. Meyer, W.R. (2010). Independent learning: a literature review and a new project. the British Educational Research Association Annual Conference, University of Warwick, 1-4
31. Neuman. L.W. (2014). Basics of Social Research : qualitative & quantitative approaches. England: Pearson Education Limited. 1-25
32. Ningsih, D. I. (2016). Relationship Between Stress in Developing a Thesis with Academic Cheating Behavior (Doctoral dissertation, Semarang State University).
33. Overton, T.L., Randles, A. Christopher. (2015). Beyond problem-based learning: using dynamic PBL in chemistry. Chemistry Education Research and Practice. p.3-7. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4RP00248B
34. Regulations of Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education Number 44 in 2015 About The Standard of Higher Education. Article 46. Paragraph 1, 2, and 3.
35. Pfannkuch, M., Zvi-Ben, D., Budgett. (2014). Innovations in statistical modeling to connect data, chance, and context. Springer. 50(7), 1113-1123. 2-11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11858-018-0989-2
36. Pichailuk, P., & Luksaneeyanawin, S. (2015). Enhancing Learner Autonomy In Rural Young Efl Learners Through Project-Based Learning: An Action Research. ABAC Journal, 37(2), 16-32.
37. Pintrich, P., R. (2000). The Role of Goal Orientation in Self-Regulated Learning. Handbook of Self-Regulation, 451–502. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-012109890-2/50043-3
38. Pullinger, J. (2013). Statistics making an impact. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society), 176(4), 819-840. https://doi.org/10.1111/rssa.12023
39. Rabgay, T. (2018). The Effect of Using Cooperative Learning Method on Tenth Grade Students' Learning Achievement and Attitude towards Biology. International Journal of Instruction, 11(2), 265-280. https://doi.org/10.12973/iji.2018.11218a
40. Ramirez, C., Schau, C., & Emmioglu, E. (2012). The importance of attitudes in statistics education. Statistics Education Research Journal, 11(2).
41. Reid, A., & Petocz, P. (2002). Students' conceptions of statistics: A phenomenographic study. Journal of Statistics Education, 10(2). 1-18.
42. Reston, E., Krishna, S. (2014). Statistics Education Research In Malaysia And The Philippines: A Comparative Analysis. International Association for Statistical Education, 13(2), 218-231. https://doi.org/10.1080/10691898.2002.11910662
43. Rusmansyah, R., Yuanita, L., Ibrahim, M., Isnawati, I., & Prahani, B. K. (2019). Innovative chemistry learning model: Improving the critical thinking skill and self-efficacy of pre-service chemistry teachers. Journal of Technology and Science Education, 9(1), 59-76. https://doi.org/10.3926/jotse.555
44. Saputra, M. D., Joyoatmojo, S., Wardani, D. K., & Sangka, K. B. (2019). Developing Critical-Thinking Skills through the Collaboration of Jigsaw Model with Problem-Based Learning Model. International Journal of Instruction, 12(1). 1077-1094. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2019.12169a
45. Schraw, G., Crippen, K.,J., & Hartley, K. (2006). Promoting Self-Regulation in Science Education: Metacognition as Part of a Broader Perspective on Learning. Research in Science Education. 36(1-2), 111–139. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-005-3917-8
46. Sofanudin, A., & Rokhman, F. (2016). Quality-Oriented Management of Educational Innovation at Madrasah Ibtidaiyah. Journal of Education and Practice, 7(27), 176-180.
47. Sowey, E. R. (2006). Letting students understand why statistics is worth studying. In Proceedings of ICOTS-7, Seventh International Conference on Teaching Statistics Retrieved from http://www. stat. auckland. ac. nz/~ iase/publications/17/3A1_SOWE. pdf.
48. Steinhorst, R. K., & Keeler, C. M. (1995). Developing material for introductory statistics courses from a conceptual, active learning viewpoint. Journal of Statistics Education, 3(3), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1080/10691898.1995.11910497
49. Tishkovskaya, S., & Lancaster, G. A. (2012). Statistical education in the 21st century: A review of challenges, teaching innovations and strategies for reform. Journal of Statistics Education, 20(2). 1-56. https://doi.org/10.1080/10691898.2012.11889641
50. Tosun, C., & Taskesenligil, Y. (2013). The effect of problem-based learning on undergraduate students’ learning about solutions and their physical properties and scientific processing skills. Chem. Educ. Res. Pract., 14(1), 36-50. https://doi.org/10.1039/C2RP20060K
51. Vandenhouten, C., Groessl, J., & Levintova, E. (2017). How Do You Use Problem‐Based Learning to Improve Interdisciplinary Thinking?. New Directions for Teaching and Learning, 2017(151), 117-133. https://doi.org/10.1002/tl.20252
52. Welikala, T. & Watkins, C. (2008) Improving Intercultural Learning Experiences in Higher Education. Responding to cultural scripts for learning. London: Institute of Education. 1-57.
53. Winarno, Sri., Muthu, K.S., & Ling, L.S. (2018). Direct Problem-Based Learning (DPBL): A Framework for IntegratingDirect Instruction and Problem-Based Learning Approach. International Education Studies. 11(1), 119-126. https://doi.org/10.5539/ies.v11n1p119
54. Yuliana, Y., & Firmansah, F. (2018). The Effectiveness Of Problem-Based Learning With Social Media Assistance To Improve Students’understanding Toward Statistics. Infinity Journal, 7(2), 97-108. https://doi.org/10.22460/infinity.v7i2.p97-108
55. Zhong, N., Yingxu Wang, Y., & Chiew, V. (2010). On the cognitive process of human problem-solving. Cognitive Systems Research, 11(1), 81-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cogsys.2008.08.003