Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
TOWARDS BETTER MANAGEMENT OF PRIVATE EDUCATION IN INDONESIA: LESSONS LEARNED FROM MUHAMMADIYAH SCHOOLS
Corresponding Author(s) : Sadam Fajar Shodiq
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose: This study aims to examine problems related to the existing education management in Muhammadiyah schools in Indonesia.
Methodology: The present study is qualitative research, data obtained from observation, interview, and documentation. The results of the study show that Muhammadiyah, one of the private and independent institutions, has engaged in various fields, among which one of them is education. It has more than 4500 elementary, middle, and senior high schools spreading throughout Indonesia. In addition, the situations and conditions of education management at the Muhammadiyah School have different characteristics with public schools run by the government.
Results: The results of the study can be used to increase the quality of education, which directly affects other public schools.
Implications: The present research can help schools to provide the best educational services and produce competent and competitive graduates.
Novelty: This research has focused on the Muhammadiyah Schools, particularly its management and administration approach.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Akinloye, Gbadegesin Mutairu, Emmanuel O Adu, and O A Ojo. 2017. “Record Keeping Management Practices and Legal Issues in the School System.” The Anthropologist 28 (3): 197–207. DOI: 10.1080/09720073.2017.1335832.
- Arditi, David, and H. Murat Gunaydin. 1997. “Total Quality Management in the Construction Process.” International Journal of Project Management. DOI: 10.1016/S0263-7863(96)00076-2.
- Benoliel, Pascale. 2017. “Managing Senior Management Team Boundaries and School Improvement: An Investigation of the School Leader Role.” International Journal of Leadership in Education 20 (1): 57–86. DOI: 10.1080/13603124.2015.1053536.
- Botha, R. J. 2012. “School-Based Management and School Expenditure: A Case Study in Selected Primary Schools in the Gauteng Province of South Africa.” Journal of Social Sciences 30 (2): 137–45. DOI: 10.1080/09718923.2012.11892990.
- Bush, Tony. 2006. “Theories of Educational Management.” Educational Leadership. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ1066693
- Crockett, Jean B. 2007. “The Changing Landscape of Special Education Administration.” Exceptionality 15 (3): 139–42. DOI: 10.1080/09362830701503487.
- Education, Minister Of. 2007. Education Management Standards by Primary and Secondary Education Units. Retrieved Mei 06, 2019 from http://bsnp-indonesia.org/standar-nasional-pendidikan/
- Elmelegy, Reda Ibrahim. 2015. “School-Based Management: An Approach to Decision-Making Quality in Egyptian General Secondary Schools.” School Leadership and Management 35 (1): 79–96. DOI: 10.1080/13632434.2014.962499.
- Everard, K B, Geoffrey Morris, and Ian Wilson. 2004. Effective School Management. DOI: 10.4135/9781446211427.
- Galanis, Nikolas, Enric Mayol, Marc Alier, and Francisco José García-Peñalvo. 2016. “Supporting, Evaluating and Validating Informal Learning. A Social Approach.” Computers in Human Behavior 55: 596–603. DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2015.08.005.
- Goetsch, David L, and S B Davis. 2016. “Quality Management for Organizational Excellence: Introduction to Total Quality.” Pearson. Retrieved Mei 06, 2019 from https://doi.org/British Library Cataloguing- In Publication data.
- Hartley, David. 2018. “The Emergence of Blissful Thinking in the Management of Education.” British Journal of Educational Studies 00 (00): 1–16. DOI: 10.1080/00071005.2018.1491951.
- John M. Novak. 2002. Inviting Educational Leadership. London: Pearson Education.
- Kacprzyk, Editor-in-chief J. 2010. Advances in Intelligent and Soft Computing. Soft Computing. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-29455-6.
- Kadir Fatimah St. 2014. “Keterampilan Mengelola Kelas Dan Implementasinya Dalam Proses Pembelajaran.” Jurnal Al-Ta’dib 7 (2): 16–36.
- León, Federico R., and Andrés Burga-León. 2015. “How Geography Influences Complex Cognitive Ability.” Intelligence. DOI: 10.1016/j.intell.2015.04.011.
- Malaklolunthu, Suseela, and Nagappan C. Rengasamy. 2011. “School Redesign for Fostering Multiculturalism in Malaysia: Augmenting the ‘Vision School.’” In Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.03.056.
- Moleong, LJ. 2006. Metodologi Penelitian Kualitatif: Kualitalif Sasial. Bandung: RosdaKarya.
- Møllegaard, Stine, and Mads Meier Jæger. 2015. “The Effect of Grandparents’ Economic, Cultural, and Social Capital on Grandchildren’s Educational Success.” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility. DOI: 10.1016/j.rssm.2015.06.004.
- Msila, V. 2011. “School Management and the Struggle for Effective Schools.” Africa Education Review 8 (3): 434–49. DOI: 10.1080/18146627.2011.618650.
- Nobile, John De, Mariam El Baba, and Teola London. 2016. “School Leadership Practices That Promote Effective Whole School Behaviour Management: A Study of Australian Primary Schools.” School Leadership & Management 36 (4): 419–34. DOI: 10.1080/13632434.2016.1247041.
- Pemerintah Republik Indonesia. 2003. “Undang-Undang Republik Indonesia Nomor 20 Tahun 2003 Tentang Sistem Pendidikan Nasional.” Departemen Pendidikan Nasional, 1–33. Retrieved Mei 06, 2019 from http://kelembagaan.ristekdikti.go.id/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/UU_no_20_th_2003.pdf.
- Raharjo, Sabar Budi. 2012. “Evaluasi Trend Kualitas Pendidikan Di Indonesia.” Jurnal Penelitian Dan Evaluasi Pendidikan. DOI: 10.21831/PEP.V16I2.1129.
- Reed, Richard, David J. Lemak, and Neal P. Mero. 2000. “Total Quality Management and Sustainable Competitive Advantage.” Journal of Quality Management. DOI: 10.1016/S1084-8568(00)00010-9.
- Reeves, Scott, Mathieu Albert, Ayelet Kuper, and Brian David Hodges. 2008. “Qualitative Research: Why Use Theories in Qualitative Research?” BMJ. DOI: 10.1136/bmj.a949.
- Rissanen, Inkeri. 2012. “Teaching Islamic Education in Finnish Schools: A Field of Negotiations.” Teaching and Teacher Education 28 (5): 740–49. DOI: 10.1016/j.tate.2012.02.001.
- Sallis, Edward. 1993. Total Quality Management in Education. DOI: 10.4324/9780203417010.
- Samier, Eugenie. 2017. “Towards a Postcolonial and Decolonising Educational Administration History.” Journal of Educational Administration and History 49 (4): 264–82. DOI: 10.1080/00220620.2017.1343288.
- Senge, Peter M. 1990. The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization. Performance Instruction. DOI: 10.1002/pfi.4170300510.
- She, Lian. 2000. “System Reconstruction for Enterprise Organization: Forewarning Management and System Analysis.” International Journal of General Systems 29 (3): 385–93. DOI: 10.1080/03081070008960946.
- Silvius, Gilbert. 2017. “Sustainability as a New School of Thought in Project Management.” Journal of Cleaner Production. DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.08.121.
- Sitthisomjin, Junrat, Kanokorn Somprach, and Songsak Phuseeorn. 2018. “The Effects of Innovation Management on School Performance of Secondary Schools in Thailand.” Kasetsart Journal of Social Sciences, 2–7. DOI: 10.1016/j.kjss.2018.02.007.
- Suwandej, Niyom. 2015. “Factors Influencing Total Quality Management.” Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. DOI: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.07.361.
- Troisi, Jordan D. 2015. “Student Management Teams Increase College Students’ Feelings of Autonomy in the Classroom.” College Teaching 63 (2): 83–89. DOI: 10.1080/87567555.2015.1007913.
- Usman, Husaini. 2012. Manajemen Teori, Praktik Dan Riset Pendidikan. Bandung: PT. Remaja Rosdakarya.
- Wilkinson, Jane, and Jeffrey S. Brooks. 2018. “The Past, Present and Future of Educational Administration.” Journal of Educational Administration and History 50 (1): 1–2. DOI: 10.1080/00220620.2017.1401985.