Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
COMPUTER-ASSISTED INTERVENTION (CAI) TO ENHANCE MATHEMATICAL LEARNING OF AUTISTIC STUDENTS: A CASE STUDY IN MELAKA
Corresponding Author(s) : Pramudya G.
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose of the study: To evaluate the efficacy of a CAI called MathTutor in helping autistic students to learn addition in mathematics.
Methodology: A pre-post-test experimental model was employed in the study. The study participants included three autistic male students who possessed all the prerequisite skills.
Main findings and novelty: The study participants were found to have been benefitted which indicates that MathTutor improves their learning abilities as an effective instructional strategy. The use of CAI enabled the participants to memorise their lessons and actively take part during the entire lesson.
Applications of this study: The study is beneficial for people involved in caring for autistic students with the help of computer assisted application. This will ease the burden of the carer takers of autistic children in dealing with their conditions while at the same enabling them to navigate the world.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Aliee, Z. S., Jomhari, N., Rezaei, R., & Alias, N. (2013). Facilitating Autistic Children’s Split Attention in Designing Computer Teaching Instructions. Life Science Journal 2013, 10(3), 88–96.
- Alja’am, J., & Jaoua, A. (2011). An assistive computerized system for children with moderate intellectual and learning disabilities. In 2011 IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference (EDUCON) (pp. 226–230).
- Bosseler, A., & Massaro, D. W. (2003). Development and evaluation of a computer-animated tutor for vocabulary and language learning in children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 33(6), 653–672. Retrieved from http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/B:JADD.0000006002.82367.4f
- Colby, K. M. (1973). The rationale for computer-based treatment of language difficulties in non-speaking autistic children. Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 3, 254–260.
- Coleman-Martin, M. B., Heller, K. W., Cihak, D. F., & Irvine, K. L. (2005). Using Computer-Assisted Instruction and the Nonverbal Reading Approach to Teach Word Identification. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 20(2), 80–90. http://doi.org/10.1177/10883576050200020401
- Corsello, C. M. (2005). Early Intervention in Autism. Infants & Young Children, 18(2), 74–85. http://doi.org/10.1097/00001163-200504000-00002
- Costa, S., Soares, F., Santos, C., Ferreira, M. J., Members, I., Moreira, F., Cunha, F. (2011). An approach to promote social and communication behaviors in children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Robot based intervention. IEEE International Symposium on Robot and Human Interactive Communication, 101–106.
- Ge, Z., & Fan, L. (2017). Social Development for Children with Autism Using Kinect Gesture Games: A Case Study in Suzhou Industrial Park Renai School. In Y. Cai, S. L. Goei, & W. Trooster (Eds.), Simulation and Serious Games for Education (pp. 113–123). Singapore: Springer Singapore. http://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-0861-0_8
- Goldsmith, T. R., & LeBlanc, L. A. (2004). Use of Technology in Interventions for Children with Autism. Journal of Early and Intensive Behavior, 1(2), 166–178. Retrieved from http://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ848688
- Grindle, C. F., Hughes, J. C., Saville, M., Huxley, K., & Hastings, R. P. (2013). Teaching Early Reading Skills To Children With Autism Using Mimiosprout Early Reading. Behavioral Interventions, 24, 215–236. http://doi.org/10.1002/bin.1364
- Hansen, M (2014). Helping Children with Autism Learn with Mathematics Software, Thesis, Nova Southeastern University NSUWorks.
- Hetzroni, O. E., & Tannous, J. (2004). Effects of a Computer-Based Intervention Program on the Communicative Functions of Children with Autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 34(2), 95–113.
- Hopkins, I. M., Gower, M. W., Perez, T. A., Smith, D. S., Amthor, F. R., Wimsatt, F. C., & Biasini, F. J. (2011). Avatar Assistant : Improving Social Skills in Students with ASD Through a Computer-Based Intervention. Autism Development Disorder, 41, 1543–1555. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-011-1179-z
- Hourcade, J. P., Bullock-Rest, N. E., & Hansen, T. E. (2012). Multitouch tablet applications and activities to enhance the social skills of children with autism spectrum disorders. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 16(2), 157–168. Retrieved from http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00779-011-0383-3
- Hourcade, J. P., Williams, S. R., Miller, E. a., Huebner, K. E., & Liang, L. J. (2013). Evaluation of tablet apps to encourage social interaction in children with autism spectrum disorders. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI ’13, 3197. http://doi.org/10.1145/2470654.2466438
- Knight, V., McKissick, B., & Saunders, A. (2013). A review of technology-based interventions to teach academic skills to students with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 43(11), 2628–2648. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-013-1814-y
- Konstantinidis, E. I., Luneski, A., Frantzidis, C. A., Costas, P., & Bamidis, P. D. (2009). A proposed framework of an interactive semi-virtual environment for enhanced education of children with autism spectrum disorders. In 22nd IEEE International Symposium on, Albuquerque, NM (pp. 1–6). http://doi.org/10.1109/CBMS.2009.5255414
- Lang, R., Ramdoss, S., Machalicek, W., & Rispoli, M. (2016). Computer based interventions to improve social and emotional skills in individuals with autism spectrum disorders : A systematic review. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 15(2), 119–135. http://doi.org/10.3109/17518423.2011.651655
- Lee, I. (2016). Cost Of Autism: Raising An Autistic Child In Malaysia. Retrieved July 31, 2017, from https://www.imoney.my/articles/cost-of-autism-raising-an-autistic-child-in-malaysia
- Lindgren, S., & Doobay, A. (2011). Evidence-Based Interventions for Autism Spectrum Disorders. The University of Iowa. Retrieved from http://www.healthcare.uiowa.edu/cdd/ucedd/research/files/impactdata/dhs autism interventions 6-10-11.pdf
- Meadan, H., Ostrosky, M. M., Triplett, B., Michna, A., & Fettig, A. (2011). Using Visual Supports With Young Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Council for Exceptional Children, 43(6), 28–35.
- Pellicano, L. (2007). Autism as a developmental disorder | The Psychologist. Retrieved July 31, 2017, from https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-20/edition-4/autism-developmental-disorder
- Ploog, B. O., Scharf, A., Nelson, D., & Brooks, P. J. (2013). Use of computer-assisted technologies (CAT) to enhance social, communicative, and language development in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 43(2), 301–22. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-012-1571-3
- Rahman, M. M., Ferdous, S. M., & Ahmed, S. I. (2010). Increasing Intelligibility in the Speech of the Autistic Children by an Interactive Computer Game. 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, 383–387. doi:10.1109/ISM.2010.64
- Ramdoss, S., Lang, R., Mulloy, A., Franco, J., O’Reilly, M., Didden, R., & Lancioni, G. (2011). Use of Computer-Based Interventions to Teach Communication Skills to Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Systematic Review. Journal of Behavioral Education, 20(1), 55–76. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10864-010-9112-7
- Ramdoss, S., Mulloy, A., Lang, R., O’Reilly, M., Sigafoos, J., Lancioni, G., El Zein, F. (2011). Use of computer-based interventions to improve literacy skills in students with autism spectrum disorders: A systematic review. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 5(4), 1306–1318. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2011.03.004
- Smith, B. R., Spooner, F., & Wood, C. L. (2013). Using embedded computer-assisted explicit instruction to teach science to students with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 7, 433–443.
- Smith, M., Segal, J., & Hutman, T. (2017). Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Parent’s Guide to Symptoms and Diagnosis on the Autism Spectrum. Retrieved July 31, 2017, from http://www.helpguide.org/articles/autism/autism-spectrum-disorders.htm
- Whitcomb, S. A., Bass, J. D., & Luiselli, J. K. (2011). Effects of a Computer-Based Early Reading Program (Headsprout ®) on Word List and Text Reading Skills in a Student with Autism. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 23, 491–499. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10882-011-9240-6
- Yaw, J. S., Skinner, C. H., Parkhurst, J., Taylor, C. M., Booher, J., & Chambers, K. (2011). Extending research on a computer-based sight-word reading intervention to a student with autism. Journal of Behavioral Education, 20, 44–54. Retrieved from http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10864-010-9118-1