Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
MALAYSIAN TVET LECTURER AND INDUSTRIAL TRAINING THROUGH NATIONAL OCCUPATIONAL STANDARD SKILLS
Corresponding Author(s) : Hanipah Hussin
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose of the study: The aim of this study is to provide a reflective thinking on the NOSS for TVET lecturers which have been developed by the faculty members of engineering and technology across Malaysia through DSD’s accreditation and to provide an exposure about NOSS for TVET lecturers or educators in higher learning institution in Malaysia.
Methodology: A participatory collaborative research between MTUN universities and DSD has been performed. The research has been conducted using multiple techniques such as content analysis to gain general idea of TVET lecturer core competencies, focus group interview and coffee table workshop session with 21 specialist TVET practitioners and educationists.
Main Findings: The minimum requirements and other characteristics for higher TVET lecturers were identified, which led to the acknowledgment of nine core competencies for NOSS TVET lecturer. Furthermore, a proposal on Master of Technology (MTVET) for TVET Lecturer and Instructor in Malaysia embedded with NOSS for TVET Lecturer has also been proposed.
Applications of this study: This study can be useful to higher TVET lecturers, educators and teaching engineers in MTUN and also industry’s trainers to pursue accreditation on TVET teaching and learning.
Novelty/Originality of this study: The implementation of “NOSS TVET Implementation and Development” – NOSS Level 5 has been accredited and has been used as a substance in developing Malaysian TVET educators standard by the Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education. Moreover, NOSS Level 5 evaluation and Master of Technology (TVET) will be a medium in the bridging process and provide vast opportunity for TVET lecturers to lead their future careers.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Affero, I. Hassan, R., Masek, A., Hamzah, N., Ismail, I. M., Subramaniam, T. S. (2017). Implementation of Vocational Training in TVET’s Teacher Program for National Core Standard. 2016 IEEE 8th International Conference on Engineering Education: Enhancing Engineering Education Through Academia-Industry Collaboration, ICEED 2016, p.28–31.
- Ahmad, O. (2003). The Role of The National Vocational Training Council in The Management of Vocational Training in Malaysia: A Critical Evaluation. Penerbit UTHM.
- Alias, M., and Hassan, R. (2013). TVET Agency-Industry Collaborations: Addressing Diversity. TVET@Asia (1), p.1–15.
- Asada, H., Nixon, S. and Koen, V. (2017). Boosting Productivity in Malaysia Economics. (1370), p. 0–43.
- Che Mohamad Zahid, N. H., Muhamad Hanafi, N., and Puteh, S. (2017). Instructional Rubrics as an Alternative Approach for Improving Practical Teaching Among Teachers Candidate. Advanced Science Letters 23(2), p. 1229–33.
- Che Rus, R., Malik, S., Hanapi, Z., Mohamed, S. Hussain, M. A., Shahrudin, S. (2017). Skills and Knowledge Competency of Technical and Vocational Education and Training Graduate. Asian Social Science 13(4), p. 69.
- Department of Skills Development, 2017. NOSS Core Abilities [online]. Available at: http://www.dsd.gov.my/index.php/en/core-abilities [Accessed 27 Mar 2017].
- Hashim, H., Judi, H. M., Siti, T., Tengku, M., Komuniti, K., Langat, H., … G, J. P. S. (2017). The Factors of Influence towards Knowledge Sharing Among TVET Educators : A Study on TVET Educators within Hulu Langat District, 6495(2).
- Hasmori, A.A, Yunos, J. M., Hamzah, R., and Aripin, M. A. (2015). Revealed Knowledge Integration in National Dual Training System (NDTS): Philosophy, Issues, and Challenges. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 204(November 2014), p. 191–97.
- Hussin, H. (2004). Learning to Be Reflective from Theory to practice: Malaysia Experiences. UPSI.
- Hussin, H., Che Amran, A., Mat Hanafiah, M. A., Salim, F., Ali, A., Pramudya, G. A., Yunos, M.R., Mohd Yaacob, N., Jaber, M. M. (2016b). Academic Leadership and Pedagogical Strategies in Malaysian Polytechnic for 21 Century. Social Sciences (Pakistan) 11(18), p. 4574–80.
- Hussin, H., Che Amran, A., Mat Hanafiah, M. A., Salim, Fadzilah, Ali, A., Pramudya, G.A, Yunos, M. R., Mohd Yaacob, N., Jaber, M. M. (2016a). Malaysian teacher/Lecturer Education Development in TVET: A Fundamental Framework for Human Capital Development. International Business Management 10(15), p.2980–86.
- Hussin, H., Jano, Z., Kar, M. C., and Indra, S. D. (2015). Reflection of Knowledge Dissemination in Malay-Islamic World: A Review. Asian Social Science 11(17), p. 9–13.
- Ismail, A., Hassan, R., Masek, A., Hamzah, N., Ismail, I.M, and Subramaniam, T.S., 2016. Implementation of Vocational Training into TVET’s Teacher Program for National Core Standard. 2016 IEEE 8th International Conference on Engineering Education: Enhancing Engineering Education Through Academia-Industry Collaboration, ICEED 2016, pp.28-31
- Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran. (2013). Laporan Tahunan Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran (JPK) 2012. Putrajaya.
- Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran. (2015). Laporan Tahunan Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran (JPK) 2014. Putrajaya.
- Jabatan Perdana Menteri (2010). Tenth Malaysia Plan 2011-2015. Putrajaya
- KPT. (2017). Pengajar TVET Malaysia. (KPT/BPPA/JPT/MQA, Inisiatif 2A: Lonjakan 4. April 2017). Malaysian TVET Educator Standard Quality), Unpublished government document.
- Leong, P. C. (2011). Key Reforms in Revitalising Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) in Malaysia. Regional Conference on Human Resource Development Through TVET as a Development Strategy in Asia, (August), 12.
- Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA). (2014). Guidelines to Good Practices: Academic Staff. MQA, Malaysia.
- Malaysian Qualification Agency. (2017). Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF). Retrieved from https://www.kdevelopedia.com/mnt/idas/asset/2013/11/14/DOC/PDF/04201311140129009072953.pdf. Retrieved on a database on 13 April 2017.
- Ministry of Education, Malaysia. (2015). Ministry of Education Malaysia Executive Summary Malaysia Education Blueprint 2013-2025.
- Mohamad, M. M., Saud, M. S., & Ahmad, A. (2009). The Need In Training And Retraining For TVET Teachers In Malaysia. Journal of Technical Education and Training, 1, 51–58
- Mohamed Ashari, Z. H., Rasul, M. S., and Azman. N. (2015). A Review on The TVET Issues in Malaysia and The Participation of Industries in The TVET System. : 1–13. http://www.academia.edu/download/35547497/JAVET.docx. Retrieved on database on March 27, 2017.
- Mohd Amin, J. (2016). Quality Assurance of the Qualification Process in TVET : Malaysia Country. The Online Journal for Technical and Vocational Educational and Training in Asia (7), p. 1–12.
- Mohd Zain, Z. (2008). TVET in Malaysia. Universiti Malaysia Perlis (1): 1–4. http://dspace.unimap.edu.my/dspace/bitstream/123456789/7186/1/TVET in Malaysia.pdf Retrieved from database on March 23, 2017.
- Muhammad, S. N. H., & Jafaar, S. N. (2015). TVET Teacher Professionalism in Leadership Personality Formation. Journal of Education and Practice, 6(1), 143–148.
- Noor Rosmawati, Y., Abdul Razaq, A., & Mohd Mahzan, A. (2016). The Conceptual Framework Of Knowledge Attributes And Professionalism Practices Among Malaysian Polytechnic Lecturers. In International Conference on Education and Regional Development 2016 (ICERD 2016).
- Nor Hartini, C. M. Z., Nurfirdawati, M. H., & Saifullizam, P. (2017). Instructional Rubrics as an Alternative Approach for Improving Practical Teaching Among Teachers Candidate. Advanced Science Letters, 23(2), 1229–1233.
- NOSS. (2017). TVET Lecturer Implementer and Development. KSM/MPKM/NOSS-5- Act-652-P853-001-5. Published JPK. Kuala Lumpur.
- Rasul, M. S., Mohamed Ashari, Z.H., Azman, N., and Abdul Rauf, R. A. (2015). Transforming TVET in Malaysia : Harmonizing the Governance Structure in a Multiple Stakeholder Setting. TVET-Online.Asia (4), p. 1–13.
- Silverman. D. (2016). Qualitative Research. Sage.
- Yunos, M.J., Chee, S. L., and Hamdan, N. H. (2017). Sustainability of TVET TE Programme: An Exploratory Sequential Mixed Method Design. Advanced Science Letters 23(1), p. 220–222(3).
- Yusuf, N. R., Ahmad, A. R., and Awang, M. M. (2016). The Conceptual Framework Of Knowledge Attributes And Professionalism Practices Among Malaysian Polytechnic Lecturers. In International Conference on Education and Regional Development 2016 (ICERD 2016)