Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
FACTORS INFLUENCING MALAYSIAN PINEAPPLE SMALLHOLDERS INTENTION TO ADOPT MYGAP AND MPIB ROLES TO INSPIRE THE GROWERS TO OBTAIN MYGAP CERTIFICATION
Corresponding Author(s) : Soo-Fen Fam
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose of the study: The study aims to identify the factors influencing growers’ intention to adopt MyGAP and MPIB roles and to inspire the pineapple growers to obtain MyGAP certificate.
Methodology: Questionnaires were distributed to a sample of 52 pineapple smallholder respondents in the study area. Descriptive analysis and binary logistic regressions were conducted using IMB SPSS version 23.
Main Findings and Novelty: The results of this study show that the three factors influencing pineapple smallholders’ intention to adopt MyGAP are training, attitude and barriers. The odd ratios show growers who received training are four times more likely to adopt MyGAP.
Applications of this study: MPIB has to conduct more training in order to inspire pineapple growers to obtain MyGAP certification. Meanwhile, the growers also have to change their attitude to accept MyGAP and overcome the perceived barriers for adopting MyGAP.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Ajzen, I. (2011). Behavioral Interventions: Design and Evaluation Guided by the Theory of Planned Behaviour.Social Psychology and Evaluation. Pages 72-101. New York.
- Amekawa, Y., Chuan, N. C., Lumayag, L. A., & Huat, T. G. (2015). FFTC agricultural Aritical. Producers' Perceptions of Public Good Agricultural Practices and their Pesticide Use: the Caas of MyGAP for Durian Farming in Phng, Malaysia , 1-18.
- Ames B.N. and Gold L,S,(1997). "Environmental pollution, pesticides, and the prevention of cancer: misconceptions," FASEB Journal, Volume 11, Issue 13 (1997), Pages 1041-1052, http://www.fasebj.org/content/11/13/1041.short
- Coff C., Barling D., Korthals M. & Nielsen T. (2008). Ethical Traceability and Communicating Food. Springer Science & Business Media, 12 Jun 2008
- Fam S.F., Ismail N, & Jemain A.A. (2014). Where are Peninsular Malaysia’s Most Deprived Areas? Internation Statistical Institute, South East Asia Regional Statistics Conference, 2014. Sasana Kijang, Kuala Lumpur, Bank Negara Malaysia. 16-19 November, 2014.
- Fam S.F., Ismail N. & Jemain A.A. (2017). Geographical and Socioeconomic Analysis in Peninsular Malaysia. The Social Sciences, Volume 12: Issue 9, pp. 1695-1704. Doi:10.3923/sscience.2017.1695.1704.
- Fam S.F., Ismail N., Maukar A.L., Yanto H., Prastyo D.D., Jemain A.A. and Chuan Z.L. (2018), Weighting Method in The Construction of Area Deprivation Indices. Journal of Fundamental and Applied Science. 10(6S), 2655-2668. http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/jfas.v10i6s.201.
- Fam S.F., Jemain A.A., &K.Ibrahim (2011b). The Association between Material Deprivation and Relative Risk of Infant Mortality In Peninsular Malaysia. International Journal of Arts & Sciences, CD-ROM. ISSN: 1944-6934 :: 4(17):257–269.
- Fam, S.F., Jemain, A.A., & Zin, W.Z.W. (2011a). Spatial Analysis of Socioeconomic Deprivation in Peninsular Malaysia. International Journal of Arts & Sciences, 4 (17), 241-255.
- Gom, E. W., Rezai, G., Mohamed, Z., & Sharifuddin, J. (2015). Vegetable Farmers nd Malaysian Certification Scheme of Good Agricultural Practices (MyGAP): Opinions and Barriers. Autralian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences , 35-39.
- Kleemann, L., & Abdulai, A. (2013). Ecological Economics. Organic Certification, agro-ecological practices and return on investment: Evidence from pineapple producers in Ghana , 330-341.
- Krause, H., Lippe, R. S., & Grote, U. (2016). Horticulturae. Adoption and Income Effects of Public GAP Standards: Evidence from th Horticultural Sector in Thailand , 1-21.
- Lemeilleur, S. (2013). International Food and Agribusiness Management Review. Smallholder Complianc with Private Standard Certification: The Cse of GlobalGAP Adoption by Mango Producers in Peru , 159-180.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry Malaysia. (2014). MyGAP Guidlines. Putrajaya: Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry Malaysia.
- Mitsui, M., Liu, J., Belkin, N.J., and Shah, C. (2017). Predicting Information Seeking Intentions from Search Behaviors. SIGIR'17, August 7-11, 2017, Shinjuku, Tokoyo, Japan
- National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity of Food Standards Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives. (2014). Thai Agricultural Standard. Good Agricultural Practices for Pineapple , 1-10.
- Olbrich, R., Quaas, M. F., & Baumgärtner, S. (2011). Working Paper Series in Economics. Personal norms of sustainability and their impact on management – The case of rangeland management in semi-arid regions , 1-41.
- Qatar News Agency. (2016, August 10). Qatar News Agency. Retrieved September 29, 2016, from Malaysia's Pineapple Export Reaches RM161 Million Last Year: http://www.qna.org.qa/en-us/News/16081010560031/Malaysias-Pineapple-Export-Reaches-RM161-Million-Last-Year
- Rabu, M. R., Nik Mohd Masdek, N. R., & Md Shah, M. D. (2016). Malaysian Agricultural Quality Standard.
- Reichardt, M., and Jurgens, C, (2009) Adoption and future perspective of precision farming in Germany: Results of several surveys among different agricultural target groups. Precision Agriculture, Volume 10, Issue 1, February 2009, Pages 73-94
- Sierra, L., Klonsky, K., Strochlic, R., Brodt, S., & Molinar, R. (2008). Factors Associated With Deregistration Among Organic Farmers In California. California Institute for Rural Studies .
- Tey, Y. S., Rajendran, N., Brindal, M., Ahmad Sidique, S. F., Shamsudin, M. N., Radam, A., et al. (2016). A Review of n International Sustainabilty Standard (GlobalGAP) and its Local Replica (MyGAP). Outlook on AGRICULTURE, 67-72.
- The Star. (2013, November 17). Meeting Global Standard. Retrieved September 20, 2016, from The Star Online: http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2013/11/17/meeting-global-standards/
- The Star. (2016, August 8). Malaysia records pineapple exports worth RM161mil in 2015. Retrieved June 28, 2017,from The Star Online: http://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2016/08/08/malaysia-records-pineapple-exports-worth-rm161mil-in-2015/
- Tilman D. , Cassman K. G., Matson P.A., Naylor R. & Polasky S.(2002) "Agricultural sustainability and intensive production practices" Nature 418, 671-677 (8 August 2002). doi:10.1038/nature01014