Purpose of Study: Having a sense of hope and aspirations for the future are often conceptualized as components of resilience for youth in urban environments. However, less is known about the factors that may influence how young people develop their future aspirations, and how those aspirations may impact their actions in achieving their goals. This study is a conceptual paper to identify the factors that influence the youth future aspirations and how self-efficacy acts as a moderator. Self-efficacy being defined by Albert Bandura as one's belief in one's ability to succeed in specific situations or accomplish a task. Through preliminary studies conducted by informal interviews with youth in four (4) PPR in Kuala Lumpur it was found that the youths in the PPR are divided into 3 segments firstly the illiterate youth, secondly literate youth with a few years of formal schooling and third group of youth who completed their formal schooling. Using Maslow’s hierarchy of needs as a theoretical framework we hope to identify factors that contribute towards the youth future aspirations.
Methodology: In this paper, literature relating to the development and characteristics of youth in public housing, self-efficacy, and factors that influence the youth future aspirations are reviewed to ascertain if any relationship exists between them.
Results: A conceptual framework is developed to propose the relationship between success factors as the independent variables and youth future aspirations as the dependent variable, with self-efficacy as the moderator. This study identified success factors that could influence the future aspirations of youth in public housing in Malaysia. We propose a model for developing youths’ future aspirations.
- Abulof, U., 2017. Introduction: Why we need maslow in the twenty-first century. Symposium: Revisiting Maslow: Human Needs in the 21st Century, 54: 508-509.
- Alam, S.S., R. Mohd, B.H. Kamaruddin and G.M.N. Noor, 2015. Personal values and entrepreneurial orientations in Malay entrepreneurs in Malaysia: Mediating role of self-efficacy. International Journal of Commerce & Management, 25(4): 385.
- Aviram, A., 2006. A study of factors that influence unemployed persons. Journal of Employment Counseling, 43: 154-167.
- Ayodele, K.O., 2013. Demographics, entrepreneurial self-efficacy and locus of control as determinants of adolescents’ entrepreneurial intention in Ogun state, Nigeria. European Journal of Business and Social Sciences, 1(12): 59-67.
- Bacchini, D. and F. Magliulo, 2003. Self image and per- ceived self-efficacy during adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 32: 337–349.
- Bandura, A., 1988. Organizational applications of social cognitive theory. Australian Journal of Management.
- Bandura, A., 1995. Exercise of personal and collective efficacy in changing societies. In A. Bandura (Ed.), Self-efficacy in changing societies. New York: Cambridge University Press. pp: 1-45.
- Bandura, A., 1997. Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman.
- Bandura, A. and R.E. Wood, 1989. Effect of perceived controllability and performance standards on self-regulation of complex decision making. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 56: 805-814.
- Bin-Zainudin, M.I., A.A.E. Bin-Ramdzan-Ali, A.S. Ahmad-Fadzil, M.F. Sarin, N.A.S. Binti-Ahmad-Zaki, A.K. Othman and F.H. Hassan, 2018. Halal brand personality and brand loyalty among millenials modest fashion consumers in Malaysia: A conceptual paper. International Journal of Asian Social Science, 8(11): 985-994.
- Brady-Amoon, P., 2012. Further extending the humanistic vision for the future of counseling: A response to Hansen. Journal of Humanistic Counseling, 51: 184-196.
- Brown, E., 2011. The relationship between self-efficacy and educational expectations in middle and high school youth. University of North Carolina Wilmington.
- Buchanan, T. and N. Selmon, 2008. Race and gender differences in self-efficacy: Assessing the role of gender role attitudes and family background. Sex Roles: A Journal of Research, 58(1-12): 822-836.
- Burchinal, M., K. McCartney, L. Steinberg, R. Crosnoe, S.L. Friedman, V. McLoyd and R. Pianta, 2011. Examining the black-white achievement gap among low-income children using the NICHD study of early child care and youth development. Child Development, 82: 1404–1420.
- Chantal, H. and M. Gallagher, 2013. Chronic violence: Beyond the developments.
- Chen, G., S.M. Gully and D. Eden, 2004. General self-efficacy and self-esteem: Toward theoretical and. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 25(May): 375–395.
- Cunnien, K.A., N. Martinrogers and J.T. Mortimer, 2009. Adolescent work experience and self-efficacy. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 29(3/4): 164–175.
- Delgado, M. and L. Staples, 2008. Youth-led community organizing: Theory and action. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Fredericks, J., P. Blumenfeld and A. Paris, 2004. School engagement: Potential of the concept, state of the evidence. Review of Educational Research, 74(1): 59–109.
- Gecas, V., 1989. The social psychology of self-efficacy. Annual Review of Sociology 15: 291-316.
- Gee, G.C. and D.C. Payne-Sturges, 2004. Environmental health disparities: A framework integrating psychosocial and environmental concepts. Environmental Health Perspectives, 112(17): 1645-1653.
- Ginwright, S., 2010. Building a pipeline for justice: Understanding youth organizing and the leadership pipeline. Brooklyn, NY: Funders Collaborative on Youth Organizing.
- Gorman, D., 2010. Maslow’s hierarchy and social and emotional wellbeing. Aboriginal and Islander Health Worker Journal, 34(1): 27-29.
- Kenrick, D.T., V. Griskevicius, S.L. Neuberg and M. Schaller, 2010. Renovating the pyramid of needs: Contemporary extensions built upon ancient foundations. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 5(3): 292-314.
- Kerpelman, J.L., S. Eryigit and C.J. Stephens, 2007. African American adolescent’s future education orientation: Association with self-efficacy, ethnic identity, and perceived parental support. Journal of Youth and Adolescence.
- Lonn, M.R. and J.Z. Dantzler, 2017. A practical approach to counseling refugees: Applying Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Journal of Counselor Practice, 8(2): 61-82.
- Makuwira, J., 2007. Community organizing. In G. Anderson, & K. Herr (Eds.), Encyclopedia of activism and social justice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. pp: 383–385.
- Markman, G.D., D.B. Balkin and R.A. Baron, 2002. Inventors and new venture formation: The effects of general self-efficacy and regretful thinking. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 27(2): 149–165.
- Maslow, A.H., 1943;1971. A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review, 50(4): 370-396.
- Minter, A. and S. Pritzker, 2015. Measuring adolescent social and academic self-efficacy: Cross-ethnic validity of the SEQ-C. Research on Social Work Practice: 1–9.
- Mitchell, T. and D. Daniels, 2003. Observations and commentary on recent research in work motivation. In Porter, L., Bigley, G., Steers, R. (Eds), Motivation and Work Behavior, 7th Edn., New York: McGraw Hill.
- Nebbitt, V., 2009. Self-efficacy in African American adolescent males living in urban public housing. Journal of Black Psychology, 35(3): 295–316.
- Onyinye, I., E. Jonathan and O. Emmanuel, 2018. Foreign capital inflows and unemployment in Nigeria: A new evidence from ARDL-bounds testing approach. International Journal of Business, 5(6): 176-188.
- Oyugi, J.L., 2015. The mediating effect of self-efficacy on the relationship between entrepreneurship education and entrepreneurial intentions of university students. Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, 11(2): 2–14.
- Ozkurt, B. and C.B. Alpay, 2018. Investigation of proactive personality characteristics of the students of high school of physical education and sports through various variables. Asian Journal of Education and Training, 4(2): 150-155.
- Pajares, F., 2005. Self-efficacy during childhood and adolescence. In Self-Efficacy Beliefs of Adolescence. Information Age Publishing. pp: 339–367.
- Popkin, S.J. and M. McDaniel, 2013. HOST: Can public housing be a platform for change? Washington, DC: The Urban Institute
- Rollins, V.B. and J.N. Valdez, 2006. Perceived racism and career self-efficacy in African American adolescents. Journal of Black Psychology, 32(2): 176-198.
- Sarwoko, E., 2011. Kajian empiris entrepreneur intention mahasiswa. Journal of Business Economics, 16: 126-135.
- Schneider, B. and D. Stevenson, 1999. The ambitious generation: America’s teenagers, motivated but directionless. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Tashakkori, A. and V.D. Thompson, 1991. Race differences in self-perception and locus of control during adolescence and early adulthood: Methodological implications. Genetic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs, 117(2): 133-152.
- Wijaya, T., 2008. Study of empirical models of DIY SMEs entrepreneurship behavior and Central Java. Journal of Management and Entrepreneurship, 10(2): 93-104.