Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
EXAMINING ENTREPRENEURIAL MARKETING BEHAVIOURS IN SOCIAL ENTERPRISES
Corresponding Author(s) : Adibah Zainualdin
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose of Study: In this paper, the significance and justification for studying entrepreneurship, marketing, innovation and customer orientation (EMICO) in the context of social enterprises in Malaysia is discussed and elaborated.
Methodology: EMICO is an emerging framework developed by Jones and Rowley (2009) to explore the interface between each dimension in the context of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Past studies are reviewed to describe and explain the dimensions of the EMICO framework. In addition, literature relating to the characteristics of SMEs and entrepreneurs are reviewed to build the basis for studying their direct effects on the ventures’ EMICO.
Results: The paper puts forward propositions to test and validate the relationship between the variables for future empirical research.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Adibah Zainualdin, Arliza Abdullah, Hanis Syazwani Kamarudin, Wan Yusrina Wan Yusuff, Siti Nor Khairunissa Zainuddin, ROLE OF SELF-EFFICACY IN IMPROVING THE LIVES OF YOUTH IN PUBLIC HOUSING , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
- Becherer, R., P. Haynes and M. Helms, 2008. An exploratory investigation of entrepreneurial marketing in SMEs: The influence of the owner/operator. Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship, 20(2): 44–63.
- Becherer, R.C., D. Halstead and P. Haynes, 2001. Marketing orientation in SMEs: Effects of the internal environment. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 3(1): 1–17.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14715200180001474.
- Becherer, R.C., P.J. Haynes and L. Fletcher, 2006. Paths to profitability in owner-operated firms: The role of entrepreneurial. Journal of Business and Entrepreneurship, 18(1): 17–31.
- Begley, T., 1995. Using founder status, age of firm, and company growth rate as the basis for distinguishing entrepreneurs from managers of smaller businesses. Journal of Business Venturing, 10(3): 249–263.
- Begley, T. and D. Boyd, 1987. A comparison of entrepreneurs and managers of small business firms. Journal of Management, 13(1): 99–108.
- Bettiol, M., E. Di Maria and V. Finotto, 2012. Marketing in SMEs: The role of entrepreneurial sensemaking. International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 8(2): 223–248.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11365-011-0174-3.
- Beverland, M. and L.S. Lockshin, 2004. Crafting a competitive advantage: Tempering entrepreneurial action with positioning-based values. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 7(3): 172–182.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/13522750410540182.
- Bjerke, B. and C.M. Hultman, 2002. Entrepreneurial marketing: The growth of small firms in the new economic era. International Small Business Journal, 22(1): 110-112.
- Blankson, C. and O.E. Omar, 2002. Marketing practices of African and Caribbean small businesses in London, UK. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 5(2): 123–134.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/13522750210423823.
- Boonchoo, P., N. Wadeson and D. Tsang, 2013. The relationship between entrepreneurial marketing and the characteristics of Thai hotels and their managers. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 15(1): 61–78.Available at: https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02683940010305270.
- Burt, M., 2015. Social entrepreneurs seeing problems as opportunities. Available from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/12/social-entrepreneurs-seeing-problems-as-opportunities/.
- Busenitz, L. and J. Barney, 1997. Differences between entrepreneurs and managers in large organizations: Biases and heuristics in strategic decision-making. Journal of Business Venturing, 12(1): 9–30.
- Carson, D., 1990. Some exploratory models for assessing small firms′ marketing performance (A Qualitative Approach). European Journal of Marketing Marketing Intelligence & Planning European Journal of Marketing Iss European Journal of Marketing, 24(11): 8–51.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569010006056.
- Carson, D., 1998. The marketing-entrepreneurship interface: A critique and some pragmatic alternatives for marketing managers. Irish Marketing Review, 11(1): 49–58.
- Carson, D. and A. Gilmore, 2000. SME marketing management competencies. International Business Review, 9(3): 363–382.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-5931(00)00006-8.
- Carson, D. and D. McCartan-Quinn, 1995. Non-practice of theoretically based marketing in small business—issues arising and their implications. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 3(4): 24–32.Available at: https://doi.org/10.2307/40469772.
- Chen, M. and D. Hambrick, 1995. Speed, stealth, and selective attack: how small firms differ from large firms in competitive behavior. Academy of Management Journal, 38(2): 453–482.
- Collinson, E.M., 2002. The marketing/entrepreneurship interface. Journal of Marketing Management, 3(4): 337–340.
- Erikson, T., 2002. Entrepreneurial capital: The emerging venture’s most important asset and competitive advantage. Journal of Business Venturing, 17(3): 275–290.
- Fillis, I., 2002. Small firm marketing theory and practice: Insights from the outside. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 4(2): 134–157.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14715200280001469.
- Fillis, I., 2010. The art of the entrepreneurial marketer. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 12(2): 87–107.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14715201011090576.
- Fillis, I. and R. Rentschler, 2005. Using creativity to achieve an entrepreneurial future for arts marketing. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 10(4): 275–287.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1002/nvsm.26.
- Franco, M., M.D.F. Santos, I. Ramalho and C. Nunes, 2014. An exploratory study of entrepreneurial marketing in SMEs: The role of the founder-entrepreneur. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 21(2): 265–283.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-10-2012-0112.
- Gibson, B. and G. Cassar, 2002. Planning behaviour variables in small firms. Journal of Small Business Management, 40(3): 171–187.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-627x.00049.
- Gilmore, A., D. Carson and K. Grant, 2001. SME marketing in practice. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 19(1): 6–11.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/02634500110363583.
- Gruber, M., 2004. Marketing in new ventures: Theory and empirical evidence. Schmalenbach Business Review, 56(April): 164–199.
- Guido, G., A. Marcati and A.M. Peluso, 2011. Nature and antecedents of a marketing approach according to Italian SME entrepreneurs: A structural equation modeling approach. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 17(4): 342–360.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/13552551111139610.
- Hill, J., 2001. A multidimensional study of the key determinants of effective SME marketing activity: Part 2. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 7(6): 211–235.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000006538.
- Hill, J. and L.T. Wright, 2000. Defining the scope of entrepreneurial marketing: A qualitative approach. Journal of Enterprising Culture, 81(1): 23.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218495800000036.
- Hills, G.E. and C. Hultman, 2011. Research in marketing and entrepreneurship: A retrospective viewpoint. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 13(1): 8–17.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14715201111147914.
- Hills, G.E. and R.W. LaForge, 1992. Research at the marketing interface to advance entrepreneurship theory. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 16(3): 33–59.
- Hisrich, R.D., 1992. The need for marketing in entrepreneurship. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 9(3): 43–47.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769210035224.
- Hogarth-Scott, S., K. Watson and N. Wilson, 1996. Do small businesses have to practise marketing to survive and grow? Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 14(1): 6–18.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/02634509610106197.
- Hultman, C.M. and E. Shaw, 2003. The interface between transactional and relational orientation in small service firm’s marketing behaviour: A study of scottish and swedish small firms in the service sector. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 11(1): 36–51.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/10696679.2003.11501931.
- Ioniţă, D., 2012. Entrepreneurial marketing: A new approach for challenging times. Management & Marketing Challenges for the Knowledge Society, 7(1): 131–150.
- Jayawarna, D., O. Jones, W. Lam and S. Phua, 2014. The performance of entrepreneurial ventures. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 21(4): 565–587.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/JSBED-05-2014-0090.
- Jones, R. and J. Rowley, 2009. Presentation of a generic “EMICO” framework for research exploration of entrepreneurial marketing in SMEs. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 11(1): 5–21.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14715200911014112.
- Jones, R. and J. Rowley, 2011. Entrepreneurial marketing in small businesses: A conceptual exploration. International Small Business Journal, 29(1): 25–36.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1177/0266242610369743.
- Jones, R., M. Suoranta and J. Rowley, 2013. Entrepreneurial marketing: A comparative study. The Service Industries Journal, 33(7/8): 705–719.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069.2013.740470.
- Jutla, D., P. Bodorik and J. Dhaliwal, 2002. Supporting the e-business readiness of small and medium-sized enterprises: Approaches and metrics. Internet Research, 12(2): 139–164.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240210422512.
- Kilenthong, P., C.M. Hultman and G.E. Hills, 2016. Entrepreneurial marketing behaviours: Impact of firm age, firm size and firm’s founder. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 18: 127–145.Available at: https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/MRR-09-2015-0216.
- Kolabi, A.M., H.K. Hosseini, R. Mehrabi and A. Salamzadeh, 2011. Developing entrepreneurial marketing mix: Case study of entrepreneurial food enterprises in Iran. Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, 1(5): 75–91.
- Kraus, S., R. Harms and M. Fink, 2010. Entrepreneurial marketing: Moving beyond marketing in new ventures. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, 11(1): 19.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1504/IJEIM.2010.029765.
- Lam, W. and M. Harker, 2014. Marketing and entrepreneurship: An integrated view from the entrepreneur’s perspective. International Small Business Journal: 1–29.
- McCartan-Quinn, D. and D. Carson, 2003. Issues which impact upon marketing in the small firm. Small Business Economics, 21(2): 201–213.
- Morris, M.H., M. Schindehutte and R. LaForge, 2002. Entrepreneurial marketing: A construct for integrating emerging entrepreneurship and marketing perspectives. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 10(4): 1–19.
- Naldi, L. and P. Davidsson, 2013. Entrepreneurial growth: The role of international knowledge acquisition as moderated by firm age. Journal of Business Venturing, 29(5): 687-703.
- Nooteboom, B., W.V. Haverbeke, G. Duysters, V. Gilsing and A. Van Den Oord, 2007. Optimal cognitive distance and absorptive capacity. Research Policy, 36(7): 1016-1034.
- O’Donnell, A., 2004. The nature of networking in small firms. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 7(3): 206–217.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/13522750410540218.
- O’Dwyer, M., A. Gilmore and D. Carson, 2009. Innovative marketing in SMEs. Journal of Strategic Marketing, 17(January): 383–396.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1080/09652540903216221.
- Özmaden, M., F. Soter and H. Özmaden, 2018. The physical education and sport studies in the framework of social demands-institutional structuring and teacher training the developments before and during Turkey training community alliance period (1922-1936). Asian Journal of Education and Training, 4(3): 170-175.
- Patnaik, D. and A. Pillai, 2017. Responsiveness of the Indian tax system: A time series analysis from 1990 to 2010. Economy, 4(1): 1-6.
- Peters, M.L. and S. Zelewski, 2018. Some thoughts on operationalizing the concept of sufficiency in efficiency analysis. International Journal of Management and Sustainability, 7(1): 63-71.
- Phua, S. and O. Jones, 2010. Marketing in new business ventures: Examining the myth of informality. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management, 11(1): 35–55.
- Ping, G., 2017. Revisiting the causal nexus between defense expenditure and economic growth: a Time series analysis for Saudi Arabia. Asian Journal of Economic Modelling, 5(1): 35-43.
- Puteri, L.H., 2018. The apperception approach for stimulating student learning motivation. International Journal of Education, Training and Learning, 2(1): 7-12.
- Rahim, A., A. Wahab and A. Saad, 2015. The shift from traditional marketing to entrepreneurial marketing practices : A literature review. Business and Management Studies, 1(2): 134–139.Available at: https://doi.org/10.11114/bms.v1i2.993.
- Reijonen, H., 2010. Do all SMEs practise same kind of marketing? Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 17(2): 279–293.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14626001011041274.
- Reijonen, H., 2012. Entrepreneurial marketing orientation ( EMO ): An empirical test. European Marketing Academy.
- Reijonen, H. and T. Laukkanen, 2010. Customer relationship oriented marketing practices in SMEs. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 28(2): 115–136.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/02634501011029646.
- Reuber, A. and E. Fischer, 1999. Understanding the consequences of founders’ experience. Journal of Small Business Management, 37(2): 30–45.
- Stokes, D., 2000. Putting entrepreneurship into marketing: The processes of entrepreneurial marketing. Journal of Research in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, 2(1): 1–16.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14715200080001536.
- Stokes, D. and W. Lomax, 2002. Taking control of word of mouth marketing: The case of an entrepreneurial hotelier. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 9(4): 349–357.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1108/14626000210450531.
- Timmons, J.A. and S. Spinelli, 2009. New venture creation: Entrepreneurship for the 21st century. 8th Edn., New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Webb, J.W., R.D. Ireland, M.A. Hitt, G.M. Kistruck and L. Tihanyi, 2011. Where is the opportunity without the customer? An integration of marketing activities, the entrepreneurship process, and institutional theory. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 39(4): 537–554.Available at: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-010-0237-y.
- Withers, M.C., P.L. Drnevich and L. Marino, 2011. Doing more with less: The disordinal implications of firm age for leveraging capabilities for innovation activity. Journal of Small Business Management, 49(4): 515-536.
- Woods, A. and P. Joyce, 2003. Owner-managers and the practice of strategic management. International Small Business Journal, 21(2): 181–195.
- Zahra, S.A., H.J. Sapienza and P. Davidsson, 2006. Entrepreneurship and dynamic capabilities: A review, model and research agenda. Journal of Management Studies, 43(4): 917-955.