Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
EXPLORATORY STUDY OF STUDENTS’ DECISION FOR ENROLMENT AT UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR BUSINESS SCHOOL CAMPUS
Corresponding Author(s) : Mohd Farid Shamsudin
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose of Study: This research focuses on factors influence students’ decisions making to enrol at private Higher Education Institution (HEI).
Methodology: The underpinning theory applied in this study was Theory of Planned Behavior (TPB) applied for institution rankings, institution facilities, and employment opportunities. Questionnaire was used to collect the data over 100 of students in Universiti Kuala Lumpur, Business School Campus. Data were analyzed by employing exploratory factor analyses and reliability analyses.SPSS version 24 applied.
Results: The result revealed for factor loading all items above 0.5, institution facilities remarks the highest Kaiser Meyer-Olkin (KMO) with .877 and for Cronbach’s alpha with .924.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Ajzen, I., 2012. The theory of planned behavior. Handbook of Theories of Social Psychology, 1(1): 438–459.Available at: http://doi.org/10.4135/9781446249215.n22.
- Asian Development Bank, 2012. Private higher education across Asia: Expanding access, searching for quality. Available from https://think-asia.org/bitstream/handle/11540/915/private-higher-eduation-across-asia.pdf?sequence=1.
- Aydın, O.T., 2015. University choice process: A literature review on models and factors affecting the process. Yuksekogretim Dergisi, 5(2): 103–111.Available at: http://doi.org/10.2399/yod.15.008.
- Beavers, A.S., J.W. Lounsbury, J.K. Richards, S.W. Huck, G.J. Skolits and S.L. Esquivel, 2013. Practical considerations for using exploratory factor analysis in educational research. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 18(6): 1–11.
- Chapman, D.W., 1981. A model of student college choice. Journal of Higher Education, 51(5): 490–505.Available at: http://doi.org/10.2307/1981837.
- Cubillo, J.M., J. Sanchez and J. Cervio, 2006. International students’ decision-making process. International Journal of Educational Management, 20(2): 101–115.Available at: http://doi.org/10.1108/09513540610646091.
- Dennis, C., S. Papagiannidis, E. Alamanos and M. Bourlakis, 2016. The role of brand attachment strength in higher education. Journal of Business Research, 69(8): 3049–3057.Available at: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.01.020.
- Eagan, K., S.E.C. Bara, M. Aragon, S.M. Ramirez and C. Rios-Aguilar, 2015. National norms fall 2015.
- Garwe, E.C., 2016. Increase in the demand for private higher education: Unmasking the “paradox. International Journal of Educational Management,, 30(2): 232–251.Available at: http://doi.org/10.1108/IJEM-05-2014-0064.
- Hair, J.F., W.C. Black, B.J. Babin and R.E. Anderson, 2010. Multivariate data analysis. 7th Edn., Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education.
- Hamza, H.A.A. and P. Kommers, 2018. A review of educational data mining tools & techniques. International Journal of Educationa3l Technology and Learning, 3(1): 17-23.
- Handa, R., 2018. Does corporate governance affect financial performance: A study of select Indian banks. Asian Economic and Financial Review, 8(4): 478-486.
- Haron, H., H.N.A. Abdul, J. J. and A.K.N. Ku, 2017. Students Decision Factors in Choosing Private Higher Education Institutions. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 7(11): 1372–1382.Available at: http://doi.org/10.6007/IJARBSS/v7-i11/3576.
- Hossler, D. and K. Gallagher, 1987. Studying college choice: A three-phase model and the implications for policy makers. College and University, 2: 207–221.
- Jaradat, M.S. and M.B. Mustafa, 2017. Academic advising and maintaining major: Is there a relation?Available at: http://doi.org/10.3390/socsci6040151.
- Khairani, A.Z. and R.N. Abd, 2013. Assessing factors influencing students’ choice of Malaysian public university : A Rasch model analysis. International Journal of Applied Psychology, 3(1): 19–24.Available at: http://doi.org/10.5923/j.ijap.20130301.04.
- Kyrychenko, V., 2018. Indonesias higher education: Context, policy, and perspective. Asian Journal of Contemporary Education, 2(2): 159-172.
- Maniu, I. and G.C. Maniu, 2014. A model of students’ university decision- making behavior. 3(5): 431–436.
- Meyer, H., 2018. Teachers’ thoughts on student decision making during engineering design lessons. Education Sciences, 8(1): 9.Available at: http://doi.org/10.3390/educsci8010009.
- Migin, M.W., M. Falahat, M.S.A. Yajid and A. Khatibi, 2015. Impacts of institutional characteristics on international students’ choice of private higher education institutions in Malaysia. Higher Education Studies, 5(1).Available at: http://doi.org/10.5539/hes.v5n1p31.
- Ming, S.J.K., 2010. Institutional factors influencing students’ college choice decision in Malaysia: A conceptual framework. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 1(3): 53–58.
- Mohamad, M. and S.M. Hussein, 2018. Stratified property management: Islamic aspect. International Journal of Asian Social Science, 8(11): 1005-1016.
- Naidu, P. and N.E.S. Derani, 2016. A comparative study on quality of education received by students of private universities versus public universities. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35: 659–666.Available at: http://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)00081-2.
- Rachmadhani, A.P., N.U. Handayani, M.A. Wibowo, R. Purwaningsih and H. Suliantoro, 2018. Factor identification of higher education choice to enhance brand awareness of state university, 1051: 1–5.Available at: http://doi.org/10.1051/matecconf/201815401051.
- Sanchez, J.S., 2014. Factors influencing a student’s decision to pursue a communications degree in Spain. Intangible Capital, 8(1): 43–60.Available at: http://doi.org/10.3926/ic.277.
- Sekaran, U., 2000. Research methods for business. New York: John Wiley & Sons, New Ltd.
- Sekaran, U. and R. Bougie, 2013. Research methods for business: A skill-building approach. 6th Edn., West Sussex, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Tabachnick, B.G. and L.S. Fidell, 2007. Using multivariate statistics. 5th Edn., New York: Allyn and Bacon. Pearson Education.
- Wadhwa, R., 2016. Students on move: Understanding decision-making process and destination choice of Indian students. Higher Education for the Future, 3(1): 54–75.Available at: http://doi.org/10.1177/2347631115610221.
- Yusuf, B.N., M. Mohd, M.G. Qabbir and M.F.S. A., 2017. Factors influencing local and international students decision in choosing public higher learning institutions in Northern region of Malaysia. International Journal of Social Sciences, 48(1): 29–41.