Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
AN ANALYSIS OF MCDONALD’S CORPORATION FROM MODERNIST AND POSTMODERNIST PERSPECTIVES
Corresponding Author(s) : Soleman Mozammel
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 2 (2019): March
Purpose: The purpose of the paper is to investigate McDonald’s Corporation and its social structure, environmental influence as well as it’s relationship between the modernist and postmodernist perspectives. The study attempted to discuss both the modernist and postmodernist perspectives as well as examined McDonald’s Corporation’s various technological innovation of food assembly to draw conclusions.
Design/Methodology/Approach: Data was collected mainly through literature review on both modernist and postmodernist theory in order to understand the complexity of organizational culture, operation and leadership followed by linking them with the management of McDonald’s Corporation. McDonald’s Corporation was chosen due to its global recognition and their management, marketing style along with profit and financial analysis that have been relevant to both scholars and practitioners.
Results: The result have supported and with a conclusion that McDonald’s Corporation, like other large organizations follows modernist approach in order to secure their efficiency in production and administration, but at the same time their marketing approach is more of a postmodernist in relations to their cuisine, hyper-reality in franchised restaurant.
Originality/Value: The current study is based mainly on modernist and postmodernist perspectives theories as well as secondary data collection from annual reports and peer reviewed scholarly articles of McDonald’s Corporation.
- Arndt, F., 2010. Assessing dynamic capabilities: Mintzberg's school of thought. South African Journal of Business Management, 42(1).https://doi.org/10.4102/sajbm.v42i1.484
- Boje, D.M., 2006. What happened on the way to postmodern? Qualitative Research in Organization and Management Journal, 2006. New Mexico State University.
- Cravens, D.W., M.J. Neely, N.F. Piercy and A. Baldauf, 2009. Management framework guiding strategic thinking in rapidly changing markets. Journal of Marketing Management, 25(1-2).Available at: 10.1362/02672579x4100025.https://doi.org/10.1362/026725709X410025
- Esade, M.B. and B. McKelvey, 2010. Integrating modernist and postmodernist perspectives on organizations: A complexity science bridge. Academy of Management Review, 35(3).https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2010.51142028
- Hatch, M.J., 2006. Organizational theory: Modern, symbolic and postmodern perspectives. 2nd Edn., NY: Oxford University Press.
- Kellner, D., 2010. Theorizing/resisting McDonaldization: A multi perspectivist approach. Available from http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/kellner/kellner.html.
- Mintzberg's, 1998. Ten schools of thought about strategy formation, Google source, 2011.
- Porter, M.E., 1996. What is strategy? Harvard Business Review, November-December, 1996.
- Qoqiauri, L. and N. Qoqiauri, 2017. Determining issues of the economic essence and methodology of foresight. In: Quality Management: Search and Solutions. pp: 42-56.
- Rahim, A.R.A., S. Noranee, A.K. Othman, A. Shabudin and A. Anis, 2018. Organisation restructuring: The influence of interpersonal conflict, anomie, and trust in management on counterproductive work behaviour. International Journal of Management and Sustainability, 7(2): 83-92.
- Ramuhulu, M. and N. Chiranga, 2018. An investigation into the causes of failures in railway infrastructure at transnet freight rail-a case of the steel and cement business unit. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Policy, 7(1): 8-26.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.26.2018.71.8.26
- Razak, A., 2018. Bank incentives for risk-taking; evidence of selected commercial banks in ghana. Asian Journal of Economic Modelling, 6(2): 135-146.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.8.2018.62.135.146
- Razak, A., S. Sarpan and R. Ramlan, 2018. Influence of promotion and job satisfaction on employee performance. Journal of Accounting, Business and Finance Research, 3(1): 18-27.https://doi.org/10.20448/2002.31.18.27
- Rekik, M., 2018. The moderating effect of governance mechanisms on the relationship between innovation strategy and the performance. International Journal of Business, Economics and Management, 5(3): 68-93.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.62.2018.53.68.93
- Riaz, N. and S. Riaz, 2018. Investment and economic growth: A panel data analysis. Asian Development Policy Review, 6(1): 20-31.https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.107.2018.61.20.31
- Ritzer, G., 1993. The McDonaldization of society. Thousand Oaks, Ca: Pine Forge Press.
- Starbuck, W.H., 2005. The origins of organization theory. In H. Tsoukas, & C. Knudsen (Eds.) The Oxford handbook of organization theory: Meta-theoretical perspectives. New York: Oxford University Press. pp: 143-182.
- Ulrich, D. and W. Ulrich, 2010. Leaders who make meaning meaningful. Ivey Business Journal Online. Retrieved October, 31, 2010 from ABI/INFORM Global database.
- Weatherly, N., 2010. A review of Hatch's "organization theory: Modern, symbolic, and postmodern perspectives. Organization Theory.