Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
VIETNAM'S ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY: THE RISE AND PROBLEMS OF FURTHER DEVELOPMENT
Corresponding Author(s) : Tran Thi Bich Ngoc
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 4 (2019): July
Purpose: To evaluate the Vietnamese electronics industry (EI) by analyzing its successes and shortcomings in recent years in comparison with other Southeast Asian countries, as well as the problems faced by the young industries in Vietnam in the course of its development and identify their abilities to participate in the global value chain.
Methodology: Systems approach was used to analyze the status of Vietnam’s EI. The advantages and the results achieved by EI are assessed and described with the help of objective data from statistical and officially published sources.
Main Findings: The position of Vietnam’s EI in the context of growing industry 4.0 was recognized. Its dependence on imports and other reasons that affect its efficiency and competitiveness were identified in the study. The Government should provide adequate support for the development of priority area including EI within the framework of national policies and encourage import substitution program of the industrial enterprises.
Applications: Research results could be used for providing recommendations for making Vietnam's electronic industry development policy and import substitution program in the future.
Novelty/ Originality: Study considered the effects of inconsistent structure, import dependence of production, lack of unified government control, quality of labor, etc. in gross output and export revenue.
- Amegbe, H., Hanu, C., &Nuwasiima, A. (2017). Small-scale individual entrepreneurs (SIEs) and the usage of mobile money (M-money) and mobile commerce (M-commerce) in facilitating business growth in Ghana. Management Science Letters, 7(8), 373-384.
- Bakhshandeh, M., Sedrposhan, N., & Zarei, H. (2015). The Effectiveness of Cognitive-Behavioral Group Counseling to Reduce Anxiety, Marriage; Single People have to be Married in Esfahan City (2013-2014). UCT Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, 3(1), 10-13.
- Bodewig C., Badiani-Magnusson R., Macdonald K., Newhouse D., and Rutkowski J (2014). Skilling Up Vietnam - Preparing the Workforce for a Modern Market Economy. The World Bank, 1818 H Street NW. Washington DC, 2014. - 193 p.
- BOI [The Office of the Board of Investment] (2016). Five decades of supporting investment promotions.
- Borisov Yu. I. (2006). Russian Electronic Industry. It's Development Strategy. Electronics: Science, Technology and Business, Vol. 8, 2006, 4-10.
- Dahlman, C. J., Miller A., Wellenius B. (1993). Developing the Electronics Industry. World Bank, August 1993, ISBN: 978-0-8213-2522-3.
- Darabi, K., &Mirabi, V. (2018). The effect of ambient scent on consumer experience: Evidence from mobile industry. Management Science Letters, 8(11), 1199-1206.
- Errighi, L. & and Bodwell C. (2017). Electrical and electronics manufacturing in Thailand: Exploring challenges and good practices in the workplace. ILO Asia-Pacific. Working Paper Series.
- Fam S.F.; Prastyo D.D.; Loh, S.L.; Utami, S.; Yong, D.H.Y. (2018). Total Productive Maintenance Practices in Manufacture of Electronic Components & Boards Industry in Malaysia. Journal of Telecommunication, Electronic and Computer Engineering. e-ISSN: 2289-8131 Vol. 10 No. 2-8, July, 2018, 97-101.
- Fatkhutnikov R. A (2015). Innovative management. 6th edition. St. Petersburg: Peter, 448 c.
- GDOC [General Department of Vietnam Customs] (2018). Customs statistics.
- Giang T.L., Bui Th. C. (2009). Golden People’s Structure: Opportunities, Problems and Recommendations. General Office of Population &Family Planning and The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), working document.
- GSO [General Statistics Office] (2018). Statistical Yearbook of Vietnam. Statistical Publishing, Hanoi, 2018. - 998 p.
- Hong Hanh (2017). Restructuring Industry of Vietnam in 2017-2020. To rapid and sustainable growth. Ministry of Industry and Trade E-Portal.
- ILO, (2016). New partnership agreed for more and better jobs in electronics sector.
- Javid, E., Nazari, M &Ghaeli, M. (2019). Social media and e-commerce: A scientometrics analysis.International Journal of Data and Network Science, 3(3), 269-290.
- JETRO (2016). 2017 JETRO Survey on Business Conditions of Japanese Companies in Asia and Oceania. Japan External Trade Organization. Tokyo, 2016, - 65p.
- Knowler G. (2014). Factory shift from China to Vietnam accelerates, Barclays data shows. The Journal of Commerce.
- Kotlyarov, S.N. (2016). Mechanisms of the Stimulation of Import Substitution in the Construction Industry. Economy of Region. Vol. 12, 4, 1146-1156. doi 10.17059/2016-4-16
- Luo, C., Li, M., Peng, P., & Fan, S. (2018). How Does Internet Finance Influence the Interest Rate? Evidence from Chinese Financial Markets. Dutch Journal of Finance and Management, 2(1), 01.
- Machado, A. D. B., Souza, M. J., &Catapan, A. H. (2019). Systematic Review: Intersection between Communication and Knowledge. Journal of Information Systems Engineering & Management, 4(1).
- Mendes, I. A., & Silva, C. A. F. D. (2018). Problematization and Research as a Method of Teaching Mathematics. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 13(2), 41-55.
- Metsämuuronen, J. (2018). Common Framework for Mathematics–Discussions of Possibilities to Develop a Set of General Standards for Assessing Proficiency in Mathematics. International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education, 13(2), 13-39.
- MHRC [Mercer Human Resource Consulting] (2017). Cost of living Rankings 2017.
- MOLISA & GSO [Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs and General Statistics Office, Vietnam] (2018). Vietnam Labor Market. Information Bulletin of Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs and General Statistics Office, No. 18, II Q, 2018. - 8 p.
- Mori, Junichi (2005). Development of Supporting Industries for Vietnam’s Industrialization. Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy Thesis. The Fletcher School, Tufts University, 95c.
- MUM [МonashUniversity Malaysia] (2016). Shalangor Master Plan study. Connecting cluster. Bandar Sunway. Malaysia, 2016, 218p.
- Murzinova, K. E. A., Koblanova, A., &Ansabayeva, D. A. A. (2018). Prosodical means applied in communicative relations. Opción, 34(85-2), 61-96.
- National Assembly (2013). The Law No. 32/2013/QH13.
- Nguyen D. C., Nguyen Thi T. A., Luu M. D. Nguyen M. T., Le Ph. (2013). Researching Report on Competitiveness of Exporting Firms in Textile, Seafood and Electronics Industries in Vietnam. Hanoi: Asian Fund & Central Institute for Economic Management & Research, 185 p.
- Nguyen Duc (2017). Samsung: a journey of initiative and innovation. Vietnam Investment Review.
- Nguyen T.H. (2015). Transfer pricing in companies with FDI: Reality and corrective. Finance Journal, Vol. 2 (623), 17-20.
- Ohno, Kenichi. (2008). Vietnam-Japan Monozukuri Partnership for Supporting Industries. For Leveling Up Vietnam’s Competitiveness in the Age of Deepening Integration. Vietnam Development Forum. Revised August 22, 11p.
- OIE [The Office of Industrial Economics, Thailand] (2015). Industrial Economic Conditions in 2015 and Outlook for 2016.
- Panchamukhi, V. R. (1969). Import Dependence and Production Efficiency. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 4, No. 1/2, January 1969, pp. 77-86
- Phan Trang (2017). Low localization coefficient: High risk, high cost for FDI enterprises. Electronic newspaper of the Vietnam Government.
- Rynhart, G., Chang J. &Phu Huynh (2016). ASEAN in transformation: electrical and electronics: on and off the grid. Working Paper No.13 ILO.
- Salimi, D., Tavasoli, K., Gilani, E., Jouyandeh, M &Sadjadi, S. (2019). The impact of social media on marketing using bibliometricsanalysis.International Journal of Data and Network Science, 3(3), 165-184.
- Suchinai, Hirunya. (2013). Thailand Investment environment and BOI Investment Promotion Policy. Thailand Board of Investment. Changwon, South Korea, 63p.
- Thai’s Embassy in Mexico (2016). Thailand’s Electrical and Electrics Industry.
- Zare, Z. (2015). The benefits of e-business adoption: an empirical study of Iranian SMEs. UCT Journal of Management and Accounting Studies, 3(1), 6-11.
- ТhuyТrang (2016). FDI capital flows into supporting industries of Vietnam electronics industry. E-portal supporting industries.