Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
HRM PRACTICES AS DETERMINATES OF THE EMPLOYEE INTENTION TO STAY: THE MODERATING EFFECT OF TRANSFORMATIONAL LEADERSHIP: A CASE OF HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTES IN UAE
Corresponding Author(s) : Anas Abudaqa
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
to stay among the lecturers working in the higher education institutes of UAE. In addition to that the study has examined the moderating role of transformational leadership in the relationship between HRM practices and intention to stay has examined. This study is important to the management and HR department in the education industry because through this study, higher learning education institutions are informed of the results of HRM practices and transformational leadership style which might have an influence on the lecturers’ intention to stay. The study is among the pioneering studies on the issues related to the HRM practices on the intention to stay.
Methodology: So, current study has used SEM-PLS as statistical tool to answer the research questions raised in this study and research objectives envisaged in the current study.
Results: The findings of the current study have provided support to with the hypothesized results. The study has argued that the to deal with the current external opportunities and menaces, new knowledge and skills for improving their existing and future performances must be provided for the organizations This study will be helpful for policymakers and researchers in examining the link between HRM practices on the intention to stay the higher education institutes of UAE.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Avolio, B.J., W. Zhu, W. Koh and P. Bhatia, 2004. Transformational leadership and organizational commitment: Mediating role of psychological empowerment and moderating role of structural distance. Journal of Organizational Behavior: The International Journal of Industrial, Occupational and Organizational Psychology and Behavior, 25(8): 951-968. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/job.283
- Bagozzi, R.P. and Y. Yi, 1988. On the evaluation of structural equation models. Journal of the academy of marketing science, 16(1): 74-94. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/009207038801600107
- Bass, B.M. and B.J. Avolio, 1994. Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational leadership. Sage.
- Calvo-Mora, A., A. Leal and J.L. Roldán, 2006. Using enablers of the efqm model to manage institutions of higher education. Quality Assurance in Education, 14(2): 99-122. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09684880610662006
- Cassel, C., P. Hackl and A.H. Westlund, 1999. Robustness of partial least-squares method for estimating latent variable quality structures. Journal of applied statistics, 26(4): 435-446. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/02664769922322
- Erdogan, B., 2002. Antecedents and consequences of justice perceptions in performance appraisals. Human resource management review, 12(4): 555-578. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1053-4822(02)00070-0
- Fornell, C. and D.F. Larcker, 1981. Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. SAGE Publications Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA.
- Fornell, C. and D.F. Larcker, 1981. Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. SAGE Publications Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/3150980
- Fornell, C. and D.F. Larcker, 1982. Evaluation of structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. A second generation of multivariate analysis, 2.
- Fraenkel, J. and N. Wallen, 2008. Introduction to qualitative research. How to design and evaluate research in education.
- Gamage, P.N. and H. Herath, 2013. Job related factors and intention to stay of it professionals in sri lanka. International Journal of Social Science & Interdisciplinary Research, 2(7): 136-145.
- Gill, A., A.B. Flaschner, C. Shah and I. Bhutani, 2010. The relations of transformational leadership and empowerment with employee job satisfaction: A study among indian restaurant employees. Business and Economics Journal, 18: 1-10.
- Hair, J.F., C.M. Ringle and M. Sarstedt, 2011. Pls-sem: Indeed a silver bullet. Journal of Marketing theory and Practice, 19(2): 139-152. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679190202
- Hair Jr, B., J.F. Claudia, T.M. Pieper and A. Baldauf, 2013. Exploring the effect of distinct family firm reputation on consumers’ preferences. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 4(1): 3-11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfbs.2012.12.004
- Hair Jr, J., M. Sarstedt, L. Hopkins and V. G. Kuppelwieser, 2014. Partial least squares structural equation modeling (pls-sem) an emerging tool in business research. European Business Review, 26(2): 106-121. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/EBR-10-2013-0128
- Hameed, W.U., M.F. Basheer, J. Iqbal, A. Anwar and H.K. Ahmad, 2018. Determinants of firm’s open innovation performance and the role of r & d department: An empirical evidence from malaysian sme’s. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 8(1): 29. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40497-018-0112-8
- Hasibuan, M.S., 2006. Manajemen dasar, pengertian dan masalah. Jakarta: Bumi Aksara.
- Henseler, J., C.M. Ringle and R.R. Sinkovics, 2009. The use of partial least squares path modeling in international marketing. In: New challenges to international marketing. Emerald Group Publishing Limited: pp: 277-319. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/S1474-7979(2009)0000020014
- Hulland, J., 1999. Use of partial least squares (pls) in strategic management research: A review of four recent studies. Strategic management journal, 20(2): 195-204. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199902)20:2<195::AID-SMJ13>3.0.CO;2-7
- Krejcie, R.V. and D.W. Morgan, 1970. Determining sample size for research activities. Educational and psychological measurement, 30(3): 607-610. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/001316447003000308
- Md Lazim, M., R. Jalil and R. Zakaria, 2012. 12-week behavioral lifestyle modification program increases blood antioxidant enzyme activities in obese adults. Open Obesity Journal, 4: 23-27. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2174/1876823701204010023
- Merriam, S.B., R.S. Caffarella and L.M. Baumgartner, 2007. Learning in adulthood: A comprehensive guide. John Wiley & Sons.
- Mondy, R.W. and R.M. Noe, 2005. Administración de recursos humanos. Pearson Educación.
- Ng'ethe, J.M., G. Namusonge and M.A. Iravo, 2012. Influence of leadership style on academic staff retention in public universities in kenya. International journal of business and social science, 3(21).
- Nunnally, J.C. and I.H. Bernstein, 1994. Psychological theory. New York, NY: MacGraw-Hill: 131-147.
- Pallant, J., 2005. Spss survival guide. Crow's Nest, NSW: Allen & Unwin.
- Rea, L.M. and R.A. Parker, 1992. A fiscal impact analysis of undocumented immigrants residing in san diego county: Costs and revenues of significant state and local government programs. Rea & Parker, Incorporated.
- Rothfelder, K., M.C. Ottenbacher and R.J. Harrington, 2012. The impact of transformational, transactional and non-leadership styles on employee job satisfaction in the german hospitality industry. Tourism and Hospitality Research, 12(4): 201-214. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1467358413493636
- Sarwar, M.Z., S.F.U.H. Shah, A. Farooq, Q.A. Ahmad and S.A. Khan, 2014. Pre-operative screening for hepatitis b & c in general surgical population and their risk factors. Annals of King Edward Medical University, 20(2): 182-182.
- Sen, D., S. Bingol and O. Vayvay, 2017. Strategic enterprise management for innovative companies: The last decade of the balanced scorecard. International Journal of Asian Social Science, 7(1): 97-109.Available at: https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.1/2017.7.1/18.104.22.168. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.1/2017.7.1/22.214.171.124
- Sharif, I., S.R.A. Wahab and A. Sarip, 2017. Psychological contract breach and feelings of violation: Moderating role of age-related difference. International Journal of Asian Social Science, 7(1): 85-96.Available at: https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.1/2017.7.1/126.96.36.199. DOI: https://doi.org/10.18488/journal.1/2017.7.1/188.8.131.52
- Sitorus, R.R., 2018. Does e-commerce effect on total tax paid through taxpayer’s compliance? Journal of Accounting, Business and Finance Research, 4(2): 40-48.Available at: https://doi.org/10.20448/2002.42.40.48. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20448/2002.42.40.48
- Sosik, J.J., V.M. Godshalk and F.J. Yammarino, 2004. Transformational leadership, learning goal orientation, and expectations for career success in mentor–protégé relationships: A multiple levels of analysis perspective. The Leadership Quarterly, 15(2): 241-261. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2004.02.003
- Subair, R.E. and C.D. Oriogu, 2016. Still an issue: The use of electronic books in university libraries in Nigeria. American Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 1(2): 67-72.
- Super, D.E., 1957. The psychology of careers; an introduction to vocational development.
- Tambun, S., E. Murwaningsari and S. Mayangsari, 2018. The effect of accounting information on stock price predictions through fluctuation of stock price, evidence from Indonesia. Journal of Accounting, Business and Finance Research, 4(1): 20-27.Available at: https://doi.org/10.20448/2002.41.20.27. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20448/2002.41.20.27
- Tyagi, S. and S. Siddiqui, 2017. Yield Curve and momentum effects in monthly US equity returns: Some nonparametric evidence. Asian Journal of Economics and Empirical Research, 4(2): 61-67.Available at: https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.501.2017.42.61.67. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20448/journal.501.2017.42.61.67
- Tzeng, H.-M., 2002. The influence of nurses’ working motivation and job satisfaction on intention to quit: An empirical investigation in taiwan. International journal of nursing studies, 39(8): 867-878. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(02)00027-5
- Urbach, N. and F. Ahlemann, 2010. Structural equation modeling in information systems research using partial least squares. Journal of Information technology theory and application, 11(2): 5-40.
- Vafa, S., K. Sappington and R. Coombs-Richardson, 2018. Using augmented reality to increase interaction in online courses. International Journal of Educational Technology and Learning, 3(2): 65-68.Available at: https://doi.org/10.20448/2003.32.65.68. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20448/2003.32.65.68
- Vlasov, P. and A. Kiseleva, 2017. Ideology and distortions of the entrepreneurial concept. The results of conflict in organizational culture. International Journal of Emerging Trends in Social Sciences, 1(2): 90-96.Available at: https://doi.org/10.20448/2001.12.90.96. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20448/2001.12.90.96
- Widiastuti, T., N. Rizali, S. Anantanyu and S.E. Waluyo, 2017. Building synergy strategy “cawas lurik centre” association to preserve the existence of crafting business. International Journal of Emerging Trends in Social Sciences, 1(2): 97-103.Available at: https://doi.org/10.20448/2001.12.97.103. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20448/2001.12.97.103
- Widodo, T.N., 2018. The development model of exploitability knowledge based on entrepreneurial learning to innovative performance and sustainable competitive advantage. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 4(2): 123-133.
- Yaron, V., 2018. Dvořák, who had the time for remembrance of things past. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 4(1): 95-111.
- Zhang, W.-B., 2018. Growth, residential distribution, and land price in an integrated solow’s growth and alonso’s residential model. Asian Themes in Social Sciences Research, 2(1): 23-31.Available at: https://doi.org/10.33094/journal.139.2018.21.23.31. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33094/journal.139.2018.21.23.31