Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
HUMAN LAB RATS IN JAMES DASHNER’S THE MAZE RUNNER SERIES (2009 – 2011): HISTORICAL REFERENCES, PRESENT ALLUSIONS, AND DYSTOPIAN FUTURE
Corresponding Author(s) : Mayada Z. Alkhafaji
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose: This study aims to shed the light on allusions to real lab rats in Dashner’s trilogy: The Maze Runner (2009), The Scorch Trails (2010), and The Death Cure (2011). It also aims to trace the historical documents and chronicles essential to reveal the justifications behind the vague political and scientific crimes.
Methodology: The researchers have used the literary analytical approach to study and analyze selected prominent aspects from each novel; such as the concept of lab rats and genocide crimes in The Maze Runner; references to weather experiments, the climate change conspiracy, gas chambers, and the Holocaust in The Scorch Trails; and finally, the man-made diseases and biological weapons in The Death Cure.
Results: The outcomes confirm the necessity of knowing history whether bright or dark as a keyword to understand the present and predict the future. Also, Dashner has based The Maze Runners series on historical references as well as present-day vital scientific issues to predict a catastrophic future if a decision is not made. Young adult is chosen to lead the revolution against human abusing crimes and make a change.
Applications: To develop a high understanding of young adult fiction, the researchers recommend those who are interested in literature with the necessity to apply this study to other post-apocalyptic, survival, adventure, science and dystopian series fictions, movies adaptations of related books, and related video games series that addressing young adults’ mind in order to diagnose any dilemma .
Novelty/Originality: Hence, this study makes a difference in the sense of exposing the genocide crimes committed by the name of science embedded in Dashner's The Maze Runners series by tracing the historical, social, political, and scientific justifications regarding the concept of human lab rats as one of the worst human abusing experiences still used by tyrant regimes till now in ethnic and sectarian purification.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Allen M Hornblum, Judith L. Newman, Gregory J. Dober. (2013). Against their Will : The Secret History Of Medical Experimentation On Children In Cold War America. New York: St. Martin's Press LLC.
- Bergen, D. L. (2016). War and Genocide: A Concise History of the Holocaust (Critical Issues in World and International History) Third Edition. UK: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Bowling, C. R. (2011). A New Order Of The Ages: A Metaphysical Blueprint of Reality and an Expose on Poerful Reptilian/Aryn Bloodlines (Vol. 2). Bloomington: I Universe.
- Brayn, J. O. (2013). A History of Weapons :Crossbows, Caltrops, Catapults & Lots of Other Things That Can Seriously Mess You Up . California : Chronical Books LLC.
- Cornwell, J. (2013). Hitler's Scientists: Science, War and the Devil's Pact. UK: Penguin.
- Cynthia Comacchio, Janet Golden, George Weisz. (2008). Healing the World's Children. London: McGill - Queen's University Press.
- Darlene, S. R. (2011). Architects of Holocaust. USA: Compass Point Books.
- Dashner, J. (2009). The Maze Runner. USA.
- Dashner, J. (2009). The Maze Runner. New York: Delacorte Press.
- Dashner, J. (2010). The Scorch Trails. New Yrok: Delacorte Press.
- Dashner, J. (2011). The Death Cure. New York: Delacorte Press.
- David Irwin, Norman J. Lass. (2020). Clinical Research Methods In Speech - Language Pathology and Audiology (3 ed.). USA: Plural Publishing Inc.
- Dundjerovich, A. (2003). The Cinema Of Robert Lepage : The poetic Memory. London: Wallflower Press. https://doi.org/10.16995/bst.229 DOI: https://doi.org/10.16995/bst.229
- Durschmied, E. (2000). The Weather Factor: How Nature Has Changed History. Britian : Hodder & Stoughton.
- Ferreres, A. R. (Ed.). (2019 ). Surgical Ethics : Principles and Practice. Switzerland : Springer . https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-05964-4
- Guillemin, J. (2005). Biological Weapons : From the Invention of State - Sponsored Programs To Contemporary Bioterroressim. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Gulyas, A. J. (2016). Conspiracy Theories : The Roots, Themes and Propogation of Paranoid Political and Cultural Narratives. North Carolina: McFarland & Company Inc.
- Jeffrey Ryan, Jan Glarum. (2008). Biosecurity and Bioterrorism :Containing and Preventing Biological Threats. London: Elsevier Inc.
- K., D. (2014). Redressing Institutional Abuse of Children. UK: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Lemkin, R. (2005). Axis Rule in Occupied Europe: Laws of Occupation, Analysis of Government, Proposals for Redress . New Jersey: The Lawbook Exchange, Ltd.
- Loue, S. (2000). Textbook of Research Ethic: Thoery and Practice. New York: Plenum Publishers.
- Lutz, P. (2002). The Rise of Experimental Biology : An Illustrated History. New York: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1385/1592591639 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1385/1592591639
- Manning, W. H. (2010). Discion Making In Fluency Disorders. Austeriala: Delmare Cengage Learning.
- Marcello, K. (2015). Conspiracy Fact : MKULTRA and Mind Control In The United States. USA: Pro Web Writer.com.
- Masterson, K. M. (2014). The Malaria Project: The U.S. Government's Secret Mission to Find A Miracle Cure. New York: Penguin Group.
- Müller-Hill, B. (1998). Murderous Science: Elimination by Scientific Selection of Jews, Gypsies, and Others in Germany, 1933-1945. (G. R. Fraser, Trans.) USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, .
- Paulin, M. (2005). Maurice Duplessis. Quebec: XYZ Publishing.
- Petriello, D. R. (2018). Tide Of War : The Impact of Weather on Warfare. New York: Skyhouse Inc.
- Prooijen, J.-W. v. (2018). The Psychology of Conspiracy Theories. New York: Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315525419
- Rappoport, J. (2018 ). Mind Control Experiements On Children. USA.
- Skolnik, R. (2008). Essentionals Of Global Health. Boston: Jones and Barlett Publishers.
- Spitz, V. (2005). Doctors From Hell : The Horrific Account of Nazi Experiemnts On Humans . USA: First Sentient Publications .
- W. Michael Byrd, Linda A. Clayton. (2002). An American Health Dilemma : Race, Medicine, and Health Care In The United States 1900 - 2000 (Vol. 2). New York: Routlege .
- Weindling, p. J. (2004). Nazi Medicine and The Nuremberg Trails : From Medical War Crimes to Informed Consent . New York: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1057/9780230506053 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/9780230506053