Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
ANALYSIS OF EXPERT VALIDATION ON DEVELOPING FACTORS INFLUENCING CAREER CHOICE MALAYSIAN VOCATIONAL COLLEGE TEACHERS’ MODEL
Corresponding Author(s) : Abdul Mutalib M. R.
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose of study: The teaching profession is often seen as a non-rewarding career due to high burden duties that the teachers must endure. Consequently, many teachers lose interest in teaching, which resulted in a lack of job satisfaction. However, this profession has been chosen due to intrinsic, extrinsic and altruistic motivation. In view of this, there are some factors that are not explored in depth in a teaching career at Vocational Colleges.The purpose of this study is to explore Malaysian Vocational College teachers’ career choice. The goals of this research are to discover factors that lead Malaysian Vocational College teachers to pursue teaching and to identify the sub-factors in preparing them to be vocational teachers.
Methodology: The development of the constructs Malaysian Vocational College teachers’ career choice is based on 114 literature review articles. This goal is accomplished through 5 panels of experts consensus through the online questionnaires. Online questionnaires are chosen to conduct the survey because of its good review and user-friendliness. All levels of the agreement will be elevated by using the Fliess Kappa (K ) because more than 2 respondents. Fleiss Kappa is then used to evaluate the level of agreement between the raters.
Result: There are six major key factors found: family influence, socio-cultural influence, individual, situational and spiritual. There are 130 items developed and the overall finding K value is 0.55. Nevertheless, the K value within six major key factors is 0.4 to 0.86. The expert panels agree that this questionnaire might be acceptable with some improvement based on their additional comments in the online form. Based on this validation process, this questionnaire can be used in selecting the quality of Malaysian Vocational College teachers or TVET instructors. For the next step, this questionnaire will be conducted on 52 excellent teachers at Malaysian Vocational Colleges to understand in depth the key factors that significantly influence the decision of an individual to enter the vocational teaching profession in Malaysian Vocational Colleges.
Implications/Applications: In the future, the findings on this research will expose rich sources on the field of teaching and will be helpful to identify some high-quality TVET teachers in Malaysian Vocational College.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Azman, N. (2013). European Journal Of Teacher Education Choosing Teaching As A Career : Perspectives Of Male And Female Malaysian Student Teachers In Training, (November 2014), 37–41. https://doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2012.678483 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2012.678483
- Butt, G., Mackenzie, L., & Manning, R. (2010). Influences on British South Asian women’s Choice Of Teaching As A Career : “ You ’ Re Either A Career Person Or A Family Person ; Teaching Kind Of Fits In The Middle ,” (January 2010), 37–41. https://doi.org/10.1080/00131910903519769
- Cohen, J. (1977). Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioural Sciences (Second Edition). New York: Academic Press.
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences (2nd Edition). New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers.
- DeCastellarnau, A. (2018). A Classification Of Response Scale Characteristics That Affect Data Quality: A Literature Review. Quality and Quantity, 52(4), 1523–1559. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-017-0533-4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-017-0533-4
- Esmali Bari. (2017). Dasar Penempatan-Pertukaran, Kompetensi, Dan Tanggungan Tugas Dalam Perkhidmatan Guru. Thesis PhD Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur.
- Evans, J. L. (1997). Factors Influencing African Americans To Select Teaching Careers In Vocational Education And Experiences That Relate To Their Progress In Vocational Teacher Licensure Programs. Blacksburg, Virginia. Retrieved from https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/30570
- Falotico, R & Quatto, P. (2015). “Fleiss’ Kappa statistic without paradoxes.” Qual. Quant. 49:463-470. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-014-0003-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-014-0003-1
- Howitt, D., & Cramer, D. (2011). Introduction to Research Methods in Psychology Third Edition (3rd Edition). Essex, England: Pearson Education Limited.
- Landis, J.R., & Koch, G.G. (1977). The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics, 33 1, 159-74. https://doi.org/10.2307/2529310 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2529310
- Ling, W. Y. (2007). Kepuasan Kerja Guru-Guru Aliran Pendidikan Teknikal Dan Vokasional Di Sekolah-Sekolah Menengah Teknik Di Negeri Johor Darul Takzim. Thesis : Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- McHugh, M. L. (2012). Lessons in biostatistics Interrater reliability : the kappa statistic. Biochemia Medica 2012, 22(3), 276–282. https://doi.org/10.11613/BM.2012.031 DOI: https://doi.org/10.11613/BM.2012.031
- Meirte, J., Van Daele, U., Maertens, K., Moortgat, P., Deleus, R., & Van Loey, N. E. (2017). Convergent And Discriminant Validity Of Quality Of Life Measures Used In Burn Populations. Burns, 43(1), 84–92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.burns.2016.07.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.burns.2016.07.001
- Mogra, I. (2013). A Faith Dimension on the Landscape of Teachers : Muslim Teachers on Recruitment , Retention and Career Advancement, 38(7). https://doi.org/10.14221/ajte.2013v38n7.2 DOI: https://doi.org/10.14221/ajte.2013v38n7.2
- Nadler, J. T., Weston, R., & Voyles, E. C. (2015). Stuck in the middle: The use and interpretation of mid-points in items on questionnaires. Journal of General Psychology, 142(2), 71–89. https://doi.org/10.108 0/00221309.2014.994590 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00221309.2014.994590
- O’Neil, J. M., & et al. (1980). Factors, correlates, and problem areas affecting career decision making of a cross-sectional sample of students. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 27(6), 571–580. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.521 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.2061
- Powers, D. M. W. (2012). The Problem with Kappa, 345–355.
- Rosnah, I., Noor Hassim, I., & Shafizah, A. S. (2013). A Systematic Translation And Cultural Adaptation Process For Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire (TFEQ-R21). Medical Journal of Malaysia, 68(5), 424–434.
- Tomšik, R. (2016). Choosing Teaching as a Career : Importance of the Type of Motivation in Career Choices, TEM Journal-Technology Education Management Informatics, 5(3), 396–400. https://doi.org/10.18421/TEM53-21
- Tomšik, R., & Gatial, V. (2018). Choosing Teaching As a Profession : Influence of Big Five Personality Traits on Fallback Career, Problem of Education in The 21st Century, 76(1), 100-108.
- Widhiarso, W. (2012). Aplikasi teori respons butir untuk mengidentifikasi kecenderungan responden memilih opsi tengah pada skala psikologi. Manuskrip Publikasi 2012, Fakultas Psikologi Universitas Gadjah Mada, 7(1), 33–43.
- Wyatt-smith, C. (2017). Why choose teaching ? A Matter of Choice : Evidence from the Field.
- Zinbarg, R. E., Pinsof, W., Quirk, K., Kendall, A., Goldsmith, J., Hardy, N., … Latta, T. (2018). Testing The Convergent And Discriminant Validity Of The Systemic Therapy Inventory Of Change Initial Scales. Psychotherapy Research, 28(5), 734–749. https://doi.org/10.1080/10503307.2017.1325022 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10503307.2017.1325022