Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
A REVIEW ON THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD QUALITY LEADERSHIP STYLE
Corresponding Author(s) : Wael Ibrahim Alsarrani
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose: Leadership is an interactive concept that influences our daily lives. A quality concept is an approach and philosophy that leaders use to incorporate the leadership process into the organization successfully. Both concepts have an incremental history, correlation, and discussion. However, the two concepts have not yet been theoretically and empirically integrated. This paper attempts to integrate and discuss leadership and quality to create a single quality leadership style based on the definition of quality gurus and the leadership styles which relate more towards the quality of leadership.
Methodology: The study used a systematic literature review to review the past literature related to the field of leadership and quality management. This study provides the constructs from definitions proposed by experts in this field. Each leadership styles have many constructs that may or may not be related to quality.
Results: The study proposed a conceptual framework which combined the definitions of quality gurus and the different leadership styles. The finding of this study has contributed to the expansion of theoretical knowledge in the field of quality leadership style.
Implications: This paper indicated that the review of the literature regarding what quality gurus define as important relating to leadership. This paper provides the constructs from quality gurus definitions.
Novelty: Each leadership styles have many constructs that may or may not be related to quality. Therefore, future studies need to consider what the constructs from those leadership styles are considered effective to quality.
- A. West, M., Lyubovnikova, J., Eckert, R., & Denis, J.-L. (2014). Collective leadership for cultures of high quality health care. Journal of Organizational Effectiveness: People and Performance, 1(3), 240-260. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOEPP-07-2014-0039 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/JOEPP-07-2014-0039
- Alsolami, B., Embi, M. R., & Enegbuma, W. I. (2016). The influence of personal factors on Hajj crowd perception among African Pilgrim Group in Mina. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(46). https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i46/107123
- Alsolami, B. M., Embib, M. R., & Enegbumac, W. I. (2017). The Influence of Sustainable Physical Factors on Hajj Crowd Perception among Internal Pilgrim Group in Mina. CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, 56. https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i46/107123 DOI: https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i46/107123
- Albacete-Sáez, C. A., Mar Fuentes-Fuentes, M., & Maria Bojica, A. (2011). Quality management, strategic priorities and performance: the role of quality leadership. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 111(8), 1173-1193. https://doi.org/10.1108/02635571111170758 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/02635571111170758
- Alharbi, M., & Yusoff, R. Z. (2012). Leadership styles, and their relationship with quality management practices in public hospitals in Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Economics & Management Sciences, 1(10), 59-67.
- Ali, A. (2012). Leadership and its Influence in Organizations–A Review of Intellections. International Journal of Learning and Development, 2(6), 73-85. https://doi.org/10.5296/ijld.v2i6.2690 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5296/ijld.v2i6.2690
- Alimo‐Metcalfe, B. (2013). A critical review of leadership theory. The Wiley-Blackwell handbook of the psychology of leadership, change, and organizational development, 13-47. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118326404.ch2 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118326404.ch2
- Avolio, B. J. (2007). Promoting more integrative strategies for leadership theory-building. American psychologist, 62(1), 25. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.62.1.25 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.62.1.25
- Bakanauskiene, I., & Bartnikaite, E. (2009). Leadership styles in the context of overall managerial competence: The Lithuanian company case. Organizacijø Vadyba: Sisteminiai Tyrimai(51), 7.
- Bernett, R., & Nentl, N. (2010). Opinions and expectations about continuous improvement programs. The Journal for Quality and Participation, 32(4), 35.
- Burns, J. M. (1978). Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.
- Cable, D. M., & Judge, T. A. (2003). Managers' upward influence tactic strategies: The role of manager personality and supervisor leadership style. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24(2), 197-214. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.183 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/job.183
- Chan, A. T., & Chan, E. H. (2005). Impact of perceived leadership styles on work outcomes: Case of building professionals. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 131(4), 413-422. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2005)131:4(413) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2005)131:4(413)
- Chandrupatla, T. R. (2009). Quality concepts.
- Chemers, M. (2014). An integrative theory of leadership: Psychology Press. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315805726 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315805726
- Conger, J. A., Kanungo, R. N., & Menon, S. T. (2000). Charismatic leadership and follower effects. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 747-767. https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1379(200011)21:7<747::AID-JOB46>3.0.CO;2-J DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/1099-1379(200011)21:7<747::AID-JOB46>3.0.CO;2-J
- Crosby, P. B. (1990). Let's talk quality: 96 questions you always wanted to ask Phil Crosby: Plume.
- Crosby, P. B. (1997). The absolutes of leadership (Vol. 34): Jossey-Bass.
- Dahlgaard, J. J., Chen, C.-K., Jang, J.-Y., Banegas, L. A., & Dahlgaard-Park, S. M. (2013). Business excellence models: limitations, reflections and further development. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 24(5-6), 519-538. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2012.756745 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2012.756745
- Deming, W. E. (2000). Out of the Crisis: MIT press.
- Dinh, J. E., Lord, R. G., Gardner, W. L., Meuser, J. D., Liden, R. C., & Hu, J. (2014). Leadership theory and research in the new millennium: Current theoretical trends and changing perspectives. The Leadership Quarterly, 25(1), 36-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.11.005 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.11.005
- Dionne, S. D., Gupta, A., Sotak, K. L., Shirreffs, K. A., Serban, A., Hao, C., . . . Yammarino, F. J. (2014). A 25-year perspective on levels of analysis in leadership research. The Leadership Quarterly, 25(1), 6-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.11.002 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2013.11.002
- Dóci, E., Stouten, J., & Hofmans, J. (2015). The cognitive-behavioral system of leadership: cognitive antecedents of active and passive leadership behaviors. Frontiers in psychology, 6, 1344. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01344 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01344
- Dubé, L., & Paré, G. (2003). Rigor in information systems positivist case research: current practices, trends, and recommendations. MIS quarterly, 597-636. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036550 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/30036550
- Feigenbum, A. (2007). The international growth of quality. Quality progress, 40(2), 36-40.
- Firth-Cozens, J., & Mowbray, D. (2001). Leadership and the quality of care. Quality in health care, 10(suppl 2), ii3-ii7. https://doi.org/10.1136/qhc.0100003 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/qhc.0100003
- Freedman, A. M. (2016). The Wiley-Blackwell handbook of the psychology of leadership, change and organizational development: John Wiley & Sons.
- Garvin, D. A. (1988). Managing quality: The strategic and competitive edge: Simon and Schuster.
- Gilmartin, M. J., & D'Aunno, T. A. (2007). 8 Leadership Research in Healthcare. The Academy of Management Annals, 1(1), 387-438. https://doi.org/10.1080/078559813 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/078559813
- Goldberg, L. R. (1990). An alternative" description of personality": the big-five factor structure. Journal of personality and social psychology, 59(6), 1216. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1996 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.526
- Hirtz, P. D., Murray, S. L., & Riordan, C. A. (2015). The Effects of Leadership on Quality. Engineering Management Journal, 19(1), 22-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/10429247.2007.11431718 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10429247.2007.11431718
- Horner, M. (1997). Leadership theory: past, present and future. Team Performance Management: An International Journal, 3(4), 270-287. https://doi.org/10.1108/13527599710195402 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/13527599710195402
- Huang, C.-C. (1994). Assessing the leadership styles and total quality leadership behaviors of presidents of four-year universities and colleges that have implemented the principles of Total Quality Management. The Ohio State University,
- Jabnoun, N., & Juma AL Rasasi, A. (2005). Transformational leadership and service quality in UAE hospitals. Managing Service Quality: An International Journal, 15(1), 70-81. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520510575272 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520510575272
- Jacoub, L. (2014). How cognitive and affective trust in the leader is related to leader behaviors and effectiveness. University of Twente,
- Joint Commission International. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.jointcommissioninternational.org/
- Joseph, D. L., Dhanani, L. Y., Shen, W., McHugh, B. C., & McCord, M. A. (2015). Is a happy leader a good leader? A meta-analytic investigation of leader trait affect and leadership. The Leadership Quarterly, 26(4), 557-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2015.04.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2015.04.001
- Juran, J., & Godfrey, A. B. (1999). Quality handbook. Republished McGraw-Hill.
- Khanin, D. (2007). Contrasting Burns and Bass: Does the transactional‐transformational paradigm live up to Burns' philosophy of transforming leadership? Journal of Leadership Studies, 1(3), 7-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/jls.20022 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/jls.20022
- Kosicek, P. M., Soni, R., Sandbothe, R., & Slack, F. (2012). Leadership styles, industry fit, and quality focus. Paper presented at the Competition Forum.
- Kumar, P. (1995). Improving Organisational Effectiveness through Transformational Leadership. MANAGEMENT AND LABOUR STUDIES, 20, 256-256.
- Lakshman, C. (2006). A theory of leadership for quality: Lessons from TQM for leadership theory 1. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 17(1), 41-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360500249729 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360500249729
- Laohavichien, T., Fredendall, L. D., & Cantrell, R. S. (2009). The effects of transformational and transactional leadership on quality improvement. The Quality Management Journal, 16(2), 7. https://doi.org/10.1080/10686967.2009.11918223 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10686967.2009.11918223
- Laohavichien, T., Fredendall, L. D., & Stephen Cantrell, R. (2011). Leadership and quality management practices in Thailand. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 31(10), 1048-1070. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443571111172426 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/01443571111172426
- Latham, J. R. (2014). Leadership for quality and innovation: Challenges, theories, and a framework for future research. Latham, JR (2014). Leadership for quality and innovation: Challenge, theories, and a framework for future research. Quality Management Journal, 21(1), 5. https://doi.org/10.1080/10686967.2014.11918372 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10686967.2014.11918372
- Leithwood, K., & Steinbach, R. (1993). Total quality leadership: Expert thinking plus transformational practice. Journal of Personnel Evaluation in Education, 7(4), 311-337. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00972508 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00972508
- Loulas, N. (2014). How leadership theory can contribute in quality improvement efforts, by influencing change, teamwork and goal management.
- Lucas, B., & Buckley, T. (2009). Leadership for quality improvement—what does it really take? International Journal of Leadership in Public Services, 5(1), 37-46. https://doi.org/10.1108/17479886200900008 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/17479886200900008
- McKay, B. (2016). quality management then now and toward the future.
- Miao, Q., Newman, A., Schwarz, G., & Xu, L. (2014). Servant leadership, trust, and the organizational commitment of public sector employees in China. Public Administration, 92(3), 727-743. https://doi.org/10.1111/padm.12091 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/padm.12091
- Michel, J. W., Wallace, D. L., & Rawlings, R. A. (2013). Charismatic leaders: the role of admiration and system justification. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 34(5), 469-487. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-11-0099 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-11-0099
- Ng, P. K., Yeow, J. A., Chin, T. S., Jee, K. S., & Chan, P. H. (2013). Leadership styles and their impacts on TQM practices in Malaysian manufacturing firms. Paper presented at the International Conference on Economics and Business Research, Penang, Malaysia. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIMTR.2012.6236407 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIMTR.2012.6236407
- Omar, H. O. (2017). Transformational Leadership in Quality Management. University of Montana,
- Poon Teng Fatt, J. (2000). Charismatic leadership. Equal Opportunities International, 19(8), 24-28. https://doi.org/10.1108/02610150010786184 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/02610150010786184
- Ramakrishnan, S., Hishan, S. S., Shahabuddin, A. S. M., & Kanjanapathy, M. (2016). The Role of Corporate Social Responsibility in Flood Mitigation among the Listed Insurance Companies in Malaysia. International Review of Management and Marketing, 6(4S), 86-90.
- Samad, S. (2011). The contribution of quality management system on quality of product and organizational performance in Malaysian logistics companies. European Journal of Social Sciences, 25(1), 66-76.
- Samad, S. (2012). The Influence of Innovation and Transformational Leadership on Organizational Performance. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 57, 486-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.1215 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.1215
- Sanil, H. S., & Ramakrishnan, S. (2015). Communicating the corporate social responsibility on the company website: A study conducted on worldwide responsible accredited production certified apparel manufacturers in India. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 5, 52-56.
- Schroeder, R. G., Linderman, K., & Zhang, D. (2005). Evolution of quality: first fifty issues of production and operations management. Production and Operations Management, 14(4), 468-481. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2005.tb00234.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2005.tb00234.x
- Spinks, N., & Wells, B. (1995). Quality communication: a key to quality leadership. Training for Quality, 3(2), 14-19. https://doi.org/10.1108/09684879510087486 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09684879510087486
- Stewart, J. (2006). Transformational leadership: An evolving concept examined through the works of Burns, Bass, Avolio, and Leithwood. Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy, 54, 1-29.
- Stincelli, E. (2012). A grounded theory exploration of informal leadership qualities as perceived by employees and managers in small organizations. University of Phoenix,
- Ulle, R. S., & Kumar, A. S. (2014). A Review on Total Quality Leadership in TQM Practices-Industrial Management and Organizations.
- Van Wart, M. (2013). Lessons from leadership theory and the contemporary challenges of leaders. Public Administration Review, 73(4), 553-565. https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.12069 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.12069
- Vilegi-Peters, D. (2010). The impact of effective leadership on quality: The role of leadership in managing quality initiatives in health care. Available from Dissertations & Theses database(305245109).
- Whitney Gibson, J., Hodgetts, R. M., & Blackwell, C. W. (1999). The role of management history in the management curriculum: 1997. Journal of Management History (Archive), 5(5), 277-285. https://doi.org/10.1108/13552529910282268 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/13552529910282268
- Witzel, M. (2016). A history of management thought: Taylor & Francis. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315692517 DOI: https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315692517
- Wren, D. A., & Bedeian, A. G. (1994). The evolution of management thought.