Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
FOOD INSECURITY: THE AFFECTS OF SOCIOECONOMIC AND FOOD CONSUMPTION
Corresponding Author(s) : Nur Hidayah Zaini
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose: “Food security” is one every of major factors of progress and poverty alleviation and has been the goal of many worldwide and countrywide public organizations. The worst food crisis since 1974 broke out in 2007 - 2008 (FAO, 2009). The food crisis directly affects one of the most primary human rights of being free from malnutrition. This paper is about the determinants global food crisis contributes to food insecurity at selected hypermarkets in Malaysia.
Methodology: This research study proposed a framework of the determinant of the global food crisis that contributed to food insecurity.
Main Findings: Food insecurity and lack access to healthy food affect the health and well-being of low income in most developing countries especially for those with lower income. When people do not have enough resources to buy food for them to consume, it will give an impact on purchasing power. The increasing number of hunger people could threaten the stability of political for particular country (GFSI, 2016). Hence most of the countries are coming with their own program to assist and to improve the situation.
Implications/Applications: This research study proposed a framework of the determinant of the global food crisis that contributed to food insecurity. The findings can be used as a model to develop program to assist and improve quality of food.
- Abas, A., & Ching, O. T. (2016). Malaysians spend 31.2 pct of income on food, 23 pct on petrol. New Straits Times. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2SjYiKP
- Bajagai, Y. S. (2016). Basic concepts of food security: Definition, dimensions and integrated phase classification. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2OdmwrN
- Calender, C. (2015). Health equity series: Food insecurity. Missouri Foundation for Health. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2GeCTOd
- Coleman-Jensen, A., Nord, M., & Singh, A. (2013). Household food security in the United States in 2012. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/32s1g4B
- Coleman-Jensen, A., Rabbitt, M. P., Gregory, C., & Singh, A. (2014). Household food security in the United States in 2014. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/32vwasP. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2504067 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2504067
- FAO. (2009). The state of agricultural commodity markets. Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/3/i0854e/i0854e.pdf
- FAO. (2015). State of food insecurity in the world: In brief. Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4671e.pdf
- Global Food Security Strategic Plan 2011-2016 Updated November 2013, Retrieved from www.Foodsecurity.Ac.Uk
- Goyal, B., & Goyal, R. C. (2015). Community thinking and acting: An evaluation of effectiveness of health talks, health exhibitions, role plays and puppet shows. International Journal of Health and Medical Sciences, 1(3), 65-69. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhms.30004-3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhms.30004-3
- Habyarimana, J. B. (2015). Determinants of household food insecurity in developing countries evidences from a probit model for the case of rural households in Rwanda. Sustainable Agriculture Research, 4(2), 78-91. https://doi.org/10.5539/sar.v4n2p78 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5539/sar.v4n2p78
- Jarjusey, F. (2017). Consumers' awareness and knowledge about food waste in Selangor, Malaysia. International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 2(2), 91-97. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-22002 DOI: https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-22002
- Lachance, L., Sean Martin, M., Kaduri, P., Godoy-Paiz, P., Ginieniewicz, J., Tarasuk, V., & McKenzie, K. (2014). Food insecurity, diet quality, and mental health in culturally diverse adolescents. Ethnicity and Inequalities in Health and Social Care, 7(1), 14-22. https://doi.org/10.1108/EIHSC-02-2013-0002 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/EIHSC-02-2013-0002
- Marfa, M. A., Niguidula, J. D., & Enriquez, J. B. (2017). Business analytics in performance assessment of food manufacturing system. International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 2(2), 159-164. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-22009 DOI: https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-22009
- Maslow, A. H. (1943). A theory of human motivation. Psychological Review, 50(4), 370-96. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0054346 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/h0054346
- McLeod, S. A. (2016). Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Retrieved from www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html
- Noorlidawati, A. H., (2015). Assessment of food security challenge in Malaysia: A review. Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2XM190U
- Nord, M., Coleman-Jensen A., Andrews M., & Carlson S. (2011). Household food security in the United States, 2009. Advances in Nutrition, 2(2), 153-154. https://doi.org/10.3945/an.110.000216
- Runnels, V. E., Kristjansson, E., & Calhoun, M. (2011). An investigation of adults' everyday experiences and effects of food insecurity in an urban area in Canada. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 30(1), 157-172. https://doi.org/10.7870/cjcmh-2011-0011 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7870/cjcmh-2011-0011
- Sindin, A. I. (2016). Is total quality management/continous quality improvement or quality assurance applicable in health services? International Journal of Health and Medical Sciences, 2(1), 7-12. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhms.2.30002-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhms.2.30002-1
- The Global Food Security Index. (2016). An annual measure of the state of global food security. Retrieved from https://foodsecurityindex.eiu.com/
- USDA. (2014). Agricultural statistics annual. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2Y8WYQ7
- World Food Programme. (2009). Summary of food security and vulnerability in selected urban centres of Ethiopia. Retrieved from https://bit.ly/2LnIdTy
- World Food Summit. (2016). Food security.