Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING IS AN EFFECTIVE TRAINING MODEL TO IMPROVE SELF-ESTEEM
Corresponding Author(s) : Pei Wen Liao
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose: Professional training is critical to organizational success. Experiential learning was defined as a method for actively engaging trainees in learning processes. That must complete all four stages of the experiential learning model. Kolb’s model requires four abilities for successful learning: concrete experience, reflective observations, abstract conceptualization, and active experimentation. Base on, this research aims to assess experiential learning as a method to improve employees’ self-esteem.
Methodology: We assessed employees who participated in experiential learning training for 4 months between March and June 2017. This research was used to measure 37 organizational units employee’ self-esteem scale before and after the experiential learning training.
Main Findings: The research found a significant positive effect on trainees' self-esteem with a 4.98 point improvement in reaction, learning, behavior, and organizational results. The result was used for summative evaluation of the effectiveness of experiential learning by Kirkpatrick four-level framework have a contribution.
Implications/Applications: The proposed experiential learning offers a chance to upgrade the correspondence between confidence and viable relational abilities, which thusly can support students' trust in their scholarly potential. The ramifications of encouraging expanded confidence emphatically sway scholarly achievement, yet in addition build up an establishment of self-administrative conduct that can serve the students for the duration of their lives, in academic and vocation situated undertakings.
- Abdullah, N. H., Laily Ramli, N. H., & Rafek, M. (2017). Mass lecture in language learning: What do the boys and girls think? Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(2), 115-123. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.2.5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.2.5
- Aguinis, H., & Kraiger, K. (2009). Benefits of training and development for individuals and teams, organizations, and society. Annual Review of Psychology, 60, 451-474. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.60.110707.163505 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.60.110707.163505
- Aldhafeeri, F. M., & Alajmi, M. R. (2017). Towards excelled mobile learning implementation in Kuwait university: Aspects and obstacles of use and non-use. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(5), 264-281. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.5.3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.5.3
- Arens, A. K., Yeung, A. S., Craven, R. G., & Hasselhorn, M. (2011). The twofold multidimensionality of academic self-concept: Domain specificity and separation between competence and affect components. Journal of Educational Psychology, 103(4), 970. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025047 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025047
- Ashaari, M. F. (2017). The adoption and adaptation of online learning models in the framework of online da’wah. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 3(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-1
- Bandmir, S. M. A. A. & Mehrpouyan, A. (2015). Designing and implementing knowledge industry: An integrative framework for universities. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 1(1), 29-41. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss1.1.4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss1.1.4
- Bandura, A. (1977). Self-efficacy: toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological review, 84(2), 191. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Bandura, A. (1986). Fearful expectations and avoidant actions as coeffects of perceived self-inefficacy. American Psychologist, 41, 1389-1391. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.41.12.1389 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.41.12.1389
- Basoglu, B. (2017). YouTube or writing tube: A technology-mediated learning tool for TESOL. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 3(3), 98-105. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-3
- Blau, G., Gibson, G., Bentley, M., & Chapman, S. (2012). Testing the impact of job‐related variables on a utility judgment training criterion beyond background and affective reaction variables. International Journal of Training and Development, 16(1), 54-66. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2419.2011.00390.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2419.2011.00390.x
- Bo Shing, L. A., & Xiaodie P. J. (2017). Exploring the relationship between leadership, organizational culture, trust, and effectiveness of knowledge sharing by forced learning. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(2), 89-104. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.2.4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.2.4
- Boduszek, D., Hyland, P., Dhingra, K., & Mallett, J. (2013). The factor structure and composite reliability of the Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale among ex-prisoners. Personality and individual differences, 55(8), 877-881. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2013.07.014 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2013.07.014
- Branden, N. (1969). The Psychology of Self-Esteem: A New Concept of Mans Psychological Nature. Los Angeles, CA: Nash Publishing.
- Bunchutrakun, C., Lieungnapar, A., Wangsomchok, C., & Aeka, A. (2016). A corpus-based approach to learning a tour guide talk. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 2(2), 58-63. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20002-2 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20002-2
- Byrne, B. M. (1996). Measuring Self-Concept across the Life Span Issues and Instruction. Washington, DC, WA: American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/10197-000 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/10197-000
- Chadyiwa, M., & Mgutshini, T. (2015). Using mobile handheld devices as tools of learning and teaching for Student EHPS: A blessing or a curse? International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 1(2), 85-91.
- Combs, J., Liu, Y., Hall, A., & Ketchen, D. (2006). How much do high‐performance work practices matter? A meta‐analysis of their effects on organizational performance. Personnel psychology, 59(3), 501-528. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2006.00045.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2006.00045.x
- Coopersmith, S. (1967). The Antecedents of Self-Esteem. San Francisco: W. H. Freeman and Company.
- Daly, J. A., & Diesel, C. A. (1992). Measures of communication‐related personality variables. Communication Education, 41(4), 405-414. https://doi.org/10.1080/03634529209378902 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/03634529209378902
- Donnellan, M. B. Trzesniewski, K. H. & Robins, R. W. (2011). Self-Esteem: Enduring Issues and Controversies. In T. Chamorro-Premuzic, S. von Stumm, & A. Furnham (Eds.), The Wiley-Blackwell handbook of individual differences (pp. 718-746). New York, NY: Wiley-Blackwell. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781444343120.ch28 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/9781444343120.ch28
- Duys, D. K., & Hobson, S. M. (2004). Reconceptualizing Self‐Esteem: Implications of Kegan's Constructive‐Developmental Model for School Counselors. The Journal of Humanistic Counseling, Education and Development, 43(2), 152-162. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2164-490X.2004.tb00015.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2164-490X.2004.tb00015.x
- Fenwick, T. J. (2000). Expanding conceptions of experiential learning: A review of the five contemporary perspectives on cognition. Adult Education Quarterly, 50(4), 243-272. ttps://doi.org/10.1177/07417130022087035 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/07417130022087035
- Giangreco, A., Carugati, A., & Sebastiano, A. (2010). Are we doing the right thing? Food for thought on training evaluation and its context. Personnel Review, 39(2), 162-177. https://doi.org/10.1108/00483481011017390 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/00483481011017390
- Grohmann, A., & Kauffeld, S. (2013). Evaluating training programs: Development and correlates of the questionnaire for professional training evaluation. International Journal of Training and Development, 17(2), 135-155. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijtd.12005 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijtd.12005
- Grossman, R., & Salas, E. (2011). The transfer of training: what really matters. International Journal of Training and Development, 15(2), 103-120. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2419.2011.00373.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2419.2011.00373.x
- Hashim, H., Salam, S., & Mahfuzah Mohamad, S. N. (2017). Investigating learning styles for adaptive Massaive Open Online Cource (MOOC) learning. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(5), 282-292. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.5.4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.5.4
- Husain, Y. S., & Husin, N. H. (2017). Knowledge sharing behavior, job attitudes, OCB and organizational learning culture. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(4), 162-170. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.4.1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.4.1
- Jacolbia, R. B. (2015). Gender equality learning materials methods and strategies subject matter evaluation. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 1(1), 9-18.
- James, W. (1980). The Self and Its Selves (pp. 161-166). In Social Theory: The Multicultural Readings, edited by C. Lemert. Philadelphia: Westview Press.
- Jiusto, S., & DiBiasio, D. (2006). Experiential learning environments: Do they prepare our students to be self‐directed, life‐long learners? Journal of Engineering Education, 95(3), 195-204. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2006.tb00892.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2006.tb00892.x
- Karim, M. H. Elyas, K. M. Mahmood, S. N. & Hossein, A. (2017). Evaluation of human resources re-engineering and knowledge management processes on the economy of Sirjan free trade zone (Iran). International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 2(2), 127-134. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-22006 DOI: https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-22006
- Kirkpatrick, D. L. & Kirkpatrick, J. D. (2006). Evaluating Training Programs: The Four Levels. San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler.
- Kirkpatrick, D. L. (1967). Evaluation of Training’, In R. L. Craig and L. R. Bittel (eds), Training and Development Handbook: A Guide to Human Resource Development. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Kolb, D. A. (2015). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
- Kongmanus, K. (2016). Development of project-based learning model to enhance educational media business ability for undergraduate students in educational technology and communications program. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 2(5), 287-296. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-2.5.5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-2.5.5
- Le, Q. A. (2017). The impact of globalisation on the reform of higher education in Vietnam. International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 1(1), 29-35. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2016-11005 DOI: https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2016-11005
- Lee, C. Y. Lin, J. Y. & Chang, R. I. (2018). Improve quality and efficiency of textile process using data-driven machine learning in industry 4.0. International Journal of Technology and Engineering Studies, 4(1), 64-76. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijtes.4.10004-2 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijtes.4.10004-2
- Lee, C., Lee, H., Lee, J., & Park, J. (2014). A multiple group analysis of the training transfer model: exploring the differences between high and low performers in a Korean insurance company. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 25(20), 2837-2857. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2014.934887 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2014.934887
- Malinda, M. (2018). Effectiveness of entrepreneurship and innovation learning methods. Case study at Universitas Kristen Maranatha, Bandung, Indonesia. International Journal of Business and Administrative Studies, 4(3), 122-128. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijbas.4.10004-3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijbas.4.10004-3
- Manabete, S. S., & Umar, Bobboi. (2018). Technical and vocational education and training for job creation in Nigeria. International Journal of Business and Administrative Studies, 4(1), 21-30. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijbas.4.10003-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijbas.4.10003-1
- Marsh, H. W., & Craven, R. G. (2006). Reciprocal effects of self-concept and performance from a multidimensional perspective: Beyond seductive pleasure and unidimensional perspectives. Perspectives on psychological science, 1(2), 133-163. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6916.2006.00010.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6916.2006.00010.x
- Marsh, H. W., & Martin, A. J. (2011). Academic self‐concept and academic achievement: Relations and causal ordering. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 81(1), 59-77. https://doi.org/10.1348/000709910X503501 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1348/000709910X503501
- McCarthy, M. (2010). Experiential learning theory: From theory to practice. Journal of Business & Economics Research, 8(5), 131-139. https://doi.org/10.19030/jber.v8i5.725 DOI: https://doi.org/10.19030/jber.v8i5.725
- Misbah, Dewantara, D. & Mahtari, S. (2018). Physics learning based on wetlands and banjar culture. International Journal of Applied and Physical Sciences, 4(1), 21-28. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijaps.4.50004-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijaps.4.50004-1
- Modupe, H. (2010). Developing positive self-concept and self-esteem as panacea for industrial development and harmony in a work-race. Academic Leadership: The Online Journal, 8(3), 14.
- Mohamad, S. N. M. Sazali, N. S. S. & Salleh, M. A. M. (2018). Gamification approach in education to increase learning engagement. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 4(1), 22-32. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.4.10003-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.4.10003-1
- Moote Jr, G. T., & Wodarski, J. S. (1997). The acquistion of life skills through adventure-based activities and programs: a review of the literature. Adolescence, 32(125), 143.
- Naik, S. V. & Laxman, K. (2017). A study on the design/development time of e-learning projects in New Zealan. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences, 3(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.1.1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-3.1.1
- Nuchso, N., Tuntivivat, S., & Klayklueng, P. (2016). The effect of learning organization and servant leadership on child-centered teaching behavior with the mediating role of knowledge sharing in education of Chanthaburi Diocese schools. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 2(5), 181-188. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20004-5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20004-5
- Oak, J. W. (2017). Analysis of nursing student's experience of selfdirected learning for medication practices using NVivo11: Focusing on application of gamification. Journal of Advances in Health and Medical Sciences, 3(3), 117-127
- Pimonratanakan, S., & Pooripakdee, S. (2017). The Human Resource Development in the Learning Organization for the Organizational Development. International Journal of Business and Economic Affairs, 2(3), 183-192. https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-23003 DOI: https://doi.org/10.24088/IJBEA-2017-23003
- Pimonratanakan, S., Intawee, T., Krajangsaeng, K., & Pooripakdee, S. (2017). Transformational leadership climate through learning organization toward the organizational development. Journal of Administrative and Business Studies, 3(6), 284-291. https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.6.3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jabs-3.6.3
- Quilty, L. C., Oakman, J. M., & Risko, E. (2006). Correlates of the Rosenberg self-esteem scale method effects. Structural Equation Modeling, 13(1), 99-117. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15328007sem1301_5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/s15328007sem1301_5
- Rabahi, M., Yusof, H., & Awang, M. (2016). Model of hope: leading learning among the indigenous Orang Asli students. International Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 2(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20001-1 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.2.20001-1
- Retelsdorf, J., Köller, O., & Möller, J. (2014). Reading achievement and reading self-concept–Testing the reciprocal effects model. Learning and Instruction, 29, 21-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2013.07.004 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.learninstruc.2013.07.004
- Rogers, C. (1951). Client-centered therapy: Its practice, implications and theory. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the Adolescent Self-Image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400876136 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/9781400876136
- Shavelson, R. J., Hubner, J. J., & Stanton, G. C. (1976). Self-concept: Validation of construct interpretations. Review of Educational Research, 46(3), 407-441. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543046003407 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543046003407
- Snowman, J., McCown, R., & Biehler, R. (2012). Psychology applied to teaching (13. b.). Canada: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
- Tablatin, C. L. S. Patacsil, F. F. & Cenas, P. V. (2016). Design and development of an information technology fundamentals multimedia courseware for dynamic learning environment. Journal of Advances in Technology and Engineering Studies, 2(5), 202-210. https://doi.org/10.20474/jater-2.6.5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jater-2.6.5
- Tangen, D., Henderson, D., Alford, J., Hepple, E., Alwi, A., Abu Hassan Shaari, Z., & Alwi, A. (2017). Shaping global teacher identity in a short-term mobility programme. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 45(1), 23-38. https://doi.org/10.1080/1359866X.2015.1119803 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/1359866X.2015.1119803
- Thisuwan, J. Prasittisa, K. & Kwangmuang, P. (2017). The framework of learning innovation to enhance knowledge construction and scientific thinking for students in basic education. International Journal of Applied and Physical Sciences, 3(3), 68-74. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijaps.3.50003-3 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijaps.3.50003-3
- Wu, A. A. (2017). A study on learning achievement of integrated songs of Chinese history dynasties into Chinese language teaching at third grade in junior college. Journal of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, 3(5), 192-196. https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-5 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20469/ijhss.3.20001-5
- Xiaoyun, Pan., & Siqi, Mao. (2018). The number of virtual learning environment and their effective using impact on students’ information literacy. Journal of Advances in Humanities and Social Sciences 4(2), 93-103. https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-4.2.4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.20474/jahss-4.2.4