Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
SYSTEMIC FUNCTIONAL LINGUISTICS OF POLITICAL ARTICLES IN EASTERN AND WESTERN ONLINE NEWS
Corresponding Author(s) : Ali Hussein Abdulameer
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose of study: Political discourse causes a large attendance, due to their influence on economic, cultural and societal. The current study investigates 80 political articles in Eastern and Western online news by applied transitivity analysis under the systemic functional study by (Halliday and Matthiessen, 2014).
Methodology: The study employs qualitative analysis the systemic functional linguistics with Critical discourse analysis to find out the answers for the next two questions: First, How the transitivity process recognizes the experiential meaning in the social actor's discourse in the Western and Eastern online news? Second, what are the differences or similarities in the social actor's discourse in Eastern and Western online news? The documentation method uses to collect data from the two online newspapers, from Eastern (Al JAZEERA) and from Western news (THE GUARDIAN) from 6th December 2017 to 13th May 2018.
Main Findings: The main findings show that verbal processes, is most predominant in social actors discourse in Eastern especially Turkish’s president mostly used the processes and in Western France president mostly used transitivity processes in online news and followed by relational, and mental.
Implications/Applications: On the basis of the study, can be better to understand the thinking manner and cultural features and the attitudes and judgments of the political in East and West.
Originality/Novelty of Study: Many Researchers like Naz, Alvi, and Baseer (2012), Farhat (2016) and Xiaowan (2018) utilized transitivity processes to study political discourse. The researcher can’t find any study employs Transitivity processes to investigate the political articles in Eastern and Western online news consider Trump’s decision after declared Jerusalem as Israel capital on 6th December 2017.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Ismael Hasan Alsanafi, Siti Noor Fazelah Mohd Noor, Zulida Binti Abdul Kadir, EXAMINING THE CLARITY OF EXPRESSIONS IN DESCRIBING THE BLACK WOMAN’S OPPRESSION IN KENNEDY'S “FUNNYHOUSE OF A NEGRO” , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
- Bloor, M., & Bloor, T. (2013). The practice of critical discourse analysis: An introduction. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203775660
- Bloor, T., & Bloor, M. (2013). The functional analysis of English: A Hallidayan approach. Routledge.
- Butler, C. (1997). T. Bloor & M. Bloor, The functional analysis of English: a Hallidayan approach. London: Arnold, 1995. Pp. x+ 278.£ 12.99, ISBN 0 340 60012 8. English Language & Linguistics, 1(1), 191-193. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1360674300000447
- DiFrancesco-Mayot, S. (2017). The French Parti socialiste (2010-16): from office to crisis. Why the left loses: The Decline of the Centre-Left in Comparative Perspective, 151. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctt22p7khr.16
- Eggins, S. (2004). Introduction to systemic functional linguistics. A&C Black.
- Eggins, S., (1994). An Introduction to Systemic Functional Linguistics. London/New York: Pinter Publishers.
- Halliday, M. A. (1970). Language structure and language function. New horizons in linguistics, 1, 140-165.
- Halliday, M. A. K., Matthiessen, C., & Halliday, M. (2014). An introduction to functional grammar. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203783771
- Harris, Z. S. (1981). Discourse analysis. In Papers on Syntax (pp. 107-142). Springer, Dordrecht. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-009-8467-7_7
- Idrus, M. M., Nor, N. F. M., & Ismail, I. S. (2014). Representing action: Transitivity and verb processes in Malaysian and Singaporean oral proceedings over Batu Puteh Island issue. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 118, 180-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.02.024
- Ismayatim, W. F. A., Sriniwasss, S., & Jauhari, N. T. (2018). Malaysian vs Philippines News Report. International Journal of Modern Languages and Applied Linguistics, 2(1).
- M Farhat, F. (2016). A systemic linguistic analysis of process types, participant roles and modality types in Obama's speeches on Muslim world issues/Fatma M. Farhat (Doctoral dissertation, University of Malaya).
- Matthiessen, C. M. I. M., & Halliday, M. A. (2014). Halliday's introduction to functional grammar.
- Naz, S., Alvi, S. D., & Baseer, A. (2012). Political Language of Benazir Bhutto: A Transitivity Analysis of Her Speech ‘Democratization in Pakistan.’. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 4(8), 125-141.
- Ong’onda, N. A. (2016). Transitivity Analysis of Newspaper Headlines on Terrorist Attack in Kenya: A Case Study of Westgate Mall, Nairobi. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 6(9), 77-85.
- Schiffrin, D., (1994) Approach to Discourse[M]. Oxford: Basil Blackwell.
- Shayegh, K., & Nabifar, N. (2012). Power in the political discourse of Barak Obama. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 2(4), 3481-3491.
- Stubbs, M. (1983) Discourse Analysis [M]. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Takeen, H, (2019 June,16). The deal of the century rejected by the Ottoman Empire and rejected by the Turkish government. Turk press. Retrieved from https://www.turkpress.co/node/62089
- Thompson, G. (1996). Introducing Functional Grammar. London: Arnold.
- Thompson, G. (2004).Introducing Functional Grammar (Second Edition ed.). London Arnold.
- Xiaowan, Y. A. N. G. (2018). Stance in News Discourse: Analysis of Two News Reports in Daily Newspapers in China and the US. Canadian Social Science, 14(6), 40-48.
- Yujie, Z., & Fengjie, L. (2018). Transitivity Analysis of American president Donald Trump’s Inaugural Address. International Journal of Literature and Arts, 6, 28-32. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ijla.20180602.11
- Yuqiong, Z., & Fengjie, L. (2018). Transitivity Analysis of David Cameron’s Speech in Retaining Scotland. International Journal of Language and Linguistics, 6(3), 70-79. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ijll.20180603.13
- Zhang, Y. (2017). Transitivity Analysis of Hillary Clinton’s and Donald Trump’s First Television Debate. International Journal of Applied Linguistics and English Literature, 6(7), 65-72. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.6n.7p.65
- Zheng, S., Yang, A., & Ge, G. (2014). Functional Stylistic Analysis: Transitivity in English-Medium Medical Research Articles. International Journal of English Linguistics, 4(2), 12. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijel.v4n2p12