Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
WRITING ON TENTS AND CARAVANS IN AL-ZAATARI SYRIAN REFUGEE CAMP OF MAFRAQ, JORDAN: A SOCIOLINGUISTIC ANALYSIS
Corresponding Author(s) : Dr. Omar Abdullah Al-Haj Eid
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose: This study aims to investigate the sociolinguistic functions expressed by the written messages on the tents and caravans' surfaces in Al-Zaatari Refugee Camp of Mafraq, Jordan from a sociolinguistic perspective. The study also attempts to find out the relationship between patriotism and graffiti writing in the refugee camp of Mafraq, particularly how the young male refugees practice graffiti writing to express their sense of patriotism towards their homeland, Syria.
Methodology: To achieve the study objective, the researcher collected a set of (144) messages written on the tents and caravans' surfaces of the camp. Content analysis and semi-structured interviews were conducted. The data has been carefully analyzed, classified regarding the sociolinguistic messages and in-depth discussed. A graffiti analysis can be an important means of understanding the linguistic, cultural and social milieu of a community.
Main Findings: The study concludes that graffiti writing on the camp's tents and caravans is functional and a universal phenomenon reflecting ideology. The sociolinguistic function of expressing patriotism and homesickness towards Syria ranked first with a percentage of (80.7%). Tagging is mainly the most common form of graffiti writing and sometimes coupled with drawings. The word Syria is frequently used on most conceivable surfaces of the camp indicating patriotism and longing to their homeland. digs deep into the values and norms of the Jordanian society. To reveal the cultural specificity of such a social, psychological and linguistic phenomenon.
Implications of this study: This paper contributes to the study of sociolinguistics by examining the use of language in the community, norms, and values of the society. It also contributes to other linguistic disciplines such as socio-pragmatics, discourse analysis, and stylistics by analyzing peoples’ writing on several surfaces.
Novelty: No studies were conducted on writing on tents and caravans of Al-Zaatari Syrian Refugee Camp of Mafraq even though this widespread phenomenon outspreads the surfaces of the camp. This study thus attempts to fill this gap in sociolinguistics.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Dr. Omar Abdullah Al-Haj Eid, A SOCIOLINGUISTIC ANALYSIS OF DIGLOSSIC CODE-SWITCHING IN RELIGIOUS DISCOURSE BY PREACHERS OF FRIDAY SERMONS IN JORDAN , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
- Al-Khawaldeh, N., Al-Khawaldeh, I., Al-Khawaldeh, B., Al-Khawaldeh, A. (1917). An exploration of graffiti on university's walls: A corpus-based discourse analysis study. Doi: dx.doi.org/10.17509/ijal.v7i1.6856. Indonesian Journal of Applied Linguistics.7 (1), 29-42.Retrieved Sep.22,2018from, file:///C:/Users/Dell/Desktop/Research%20Articles%20Dr.%20Omar%20Haj%20Eid/An_exploration_of_graffiti_on_universitys_walls_A%20(1).pdf. https://doi.org/10.17509/ijal.v7i1.6856 DOI: https://doi.org/10.17509/ijal.v7i1.6856
- Anderson, B. (1991). Imagined communities: Reflections on the origin and spread of nationalism. Revised Edition. New York Verso: London. Retrieved Sep.14,2018from https://www.amazon.com/Imagined-Communities-Reflections-Origin-Nationalism/dp/1784786756
- Al-Radaideh, M.(2011).Writing on clothes: A sociolinguistic perspective. Unpublished MA Thesis. Jordan: University of Yarmouk. Retrieved Nov,15, 2018 from, https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACYBGNTLQ9WiDDiWl1ckuy9VAXIhyRRQbA:1568481003021&q=4.+Al-Radaideh,+M.(2011).Writing+on+clothes:+A+sociolinguistic+perspective&tbm=isch&source=univ&sxsrf=ACYBGNTLQ9WiDDiWl1ckuy9VAXIhyRRQbA:1568481003021&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqmpaI59DkAhWD6aQKHTJGAxoQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1366&bih=657
- Al-Rousan, R (2005). A sociolinguistic study of graffiti in Jordan. MA Thesis. Jordan: University of Yarmouk. Retrieved Oct.2, 2018, from, http://repository.yu.edu.jo/handle/123456789/553563
- Bartholome, L. and Snyder, P. (2004). Is it philosophy or pornography? Graffiti at dinosaur Bar-B-Que. Journal of American Culture, 27,86-99. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1537-4726.2004.00118.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1537-4726.2004.00118.x
- Britannica Concise Encyclopedia. Retrieved Oct.2, 2018 from, http://search.eb.com/failedlogin?target= /
- Cronin, P. (1994). Ways of working art therapy with women in Holloway prison. In M. Liebmann (Ed.), Art therapy with offenders ( pp.77-101). London :Jessica Kingsley. Retrieved Aug.23,2018 from, https://www.bookdepository.com/Art-Therapy-with-Offenders-Marian-Liebmann/9781853021718
- Dennant, P.(1997). Urban expression. urban assult. Urban wildstyle. New York City Graffiti. American Study Project. Thames Valley University, London. Retrieved Dec.26,2008 ,from, https://www.graffiti.org/faq/pamdennant.html.
- Dombrowski, Q. (2011). Walls that talk: Thematic variation in University library graffiti. Journal of the Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science, 1(3), 1-13. Retrieved Dec.2, 2018from.
- Eguibar, E(2009).A wink on the wall: Arts de Mexico,(95),70-73.Retrieved Dec.2, 2018from EBSCOhost:
- El-Haj Eid, Omar. (2007).A sociolinguistic study of student graffiti-writing in UNRWA schools, Jordan. MA .thesis. Jordan: University of Philadelphia. Retrieved Oct.2, 2018from,http://www.philadelphia.edu.jo/newlibrary/thesis-dissertation/416-languages/25904-21076
- El-Nashar, M. & Nayef, H. (2016). Discourse on the go: Thematic analysis of vehicle graffiti on the roads of Egypt. Advances in Language and Literary Studies, 7(5), 227-239. Feb.10,2018from, http://www.journals.aiac.org.au/index.php/alls/article/view/2735/2347. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.alls.v.7n.5p.227 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.alls.v.7n.5p.227
- Encarta Encyclopedia(2009).Retrieved Feb.10,2018from,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encarta
- Farina, M. (2014). A thematic analysis of graffiti on the university classroom walls: A case of Iran. International Journal of Applied Linguistics & English Literature, 3(3), 48-57.Retirieved Oct.5,2018 from, file:///C:/Users/Dell/Desktop/Research%20Articles%20Dr.%20Omar%20Haj%20Eid/1045-2150-1-SM.pdf. https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.3n.3p.48 DOI: https://doi.org/10.7575/aiac.ijalel.v.3n.3p.48
- Frater, (2008).Popular Propoganda.23(48), 32-32. retrieved October ,2, 2008 from,EBSCOhost:
- Gibson, Hugh. (1944).The road of foreign policy. American Political Science review.39(2),374-375.Retrieved Oct.11,2018from,https://econpapers.repec.org/article/cupapsrev/v_3a39_3ay_3a1945_3ai_3a02_3ap_3a374-375_5f05.htm
- Gussak, D. (1997). A brief history. In D. Gussak & E. Virshup (Eds.), Drawing time: Art therapy in prison and other correctional settings. American Political Science Review. 39(2) ,59-73.Retrieved Sep. 12,2018 from, https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/american-political-science-review/article/road-to-foreign-policy-by-hugh-gibson-new-york-doubleday-doran-and-company-1944-pp-x-252-250/FCEB7EBC82B9F7F6E8626498BEA8948A
- Hall, N.(1997).Creativity & incarceration: The purpose of art in prison culture, In D. Gussak & E. Virshup (Eds.), Drawing time: Art therapy in prisons and other correctional settings (pp.25-41). Chicago: Magnolia. Retrieved Oct.8,2018 from, https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Time-Correctional-Settings-1997-11-01/dp/B01FIW7MR8
- Hazaymeh, W.A.(2007). A sociolinguistic study of written expression on vehicles in Jordan. Unpublished MA Thesis. Jordan: University of Yarmouk
- Luna, G.C.(1987). Welcome to my nightmare. The graffiti of homeless youth. Society Magazine 24,(6). Retrieved Sep. 22,2018 from, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02695581. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02695581 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02695581
- Horowitz, L. (1940): Some aspects of the development of patriotism in children. Sociometry 3, 4( pp. 329-342). DOI: 10.2307/2785085.Retrieved Sep.24,2018from,https://www.jstor.org/stable/2785085?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- https://doi.org/10.2307/2785085 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/2785085
- Mangeya, Hugh. (2014).A sociolinguistic analysis of graffiti written in Shona and English found in selected urban areas of Zimbabwe". Published PhD Thesis .South Africa. University of South Africa. Retrieved Dec.13,2018 from, https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5cd8/5380992202745b56e903bca5f2b1cf4731d5.pdf
- Matthews, N., Speers, L., & Ball, J.(2012). Bathroom banter: Sex, love and the bathroom wall. Electronic Journal of HumanSexuality,15(17),pp1-11.Retrieved Aug.29,2018from, http://www.ejhs.org/volume15/Banter.html
- Newall, V. (1988) . The moving spray can: A collection of some contemporary English graffiti. Maledicia. The International Journal of Verbal Aggression, 9: 39-47
- Onyango, O. (2016). The talking walls of Rongo University College: A linguistic analysis of graffiti use at Rongo University College. International Journal of Academic Research in Progressive Education and Development, 5(1), 1-6. RetrievedOct.5,2018from,http://hrmars.com/hrmars_papers/The_Talking_Walls_of_Rongo_University_College_A_Linguistic_Analysis_of_Graffiti_Use_at_Rongo_University_College.pdf. https://doi.org/10.6007/IJARPED/v5-i1/1969 DOI: https://doi.org/10.6007/IJARPED/v5-i1/1969
- Padelford N J, Lincoln GA. (1977). The dynamics of international politics. Macmillan Company, New York. Retrieved Dec.2,2018from https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/097492846301900405
- Peteet, J. (1996). The writing on the wall: The graffiti of Intifada. Cultural Anthropology, 11 (2 ). Retrieved on Dec.12,2018 from, https://www.jstor.org/stable/656446?seq=1/analyze#page_scan_tab_contents. https://doi.org/10.1525/can.1996.11.2.02a00010 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1525/can.1996.11.2.02a00010
- Ramadan, A.(2009) A Refugee landscape: Writing Palestinian nationalisms in Lebanon. ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies,8,(1),pp70-99.Retrieved Oct.3,2018 https://acme-journal.org/index.php/acme/article/view/821
- Tracy, S. K.(2005).The graffiti method. Australian Midwifery Journal,18(3), 22-26. on Sep..10,2018 from, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1448827205800264?via%3Dihub. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1448-8272(05)80026-4 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1448-8272(05)80026-4
- Zelinski, E. (1999). Off the wall: Graffiti for the soul. Firefly Books: Ontario. Retrieved on Dec.7,2018 from, https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/889800.Off_the_Wall
- Watkins, C.(2009).A scribbled Palestine: nationalism in the refugee camps of Amman. Unpublished Research. Brandeis University in Waltham, MA Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies Middle East, Jordan, Amman