Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
A STUDY ON PSYCHOLOGICAL CAPITAL BY A METHOD OF SEMANTIC DIFFERENTIAL
Corresponding Author(s) : Andrii Trofimov
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose of the study: The purpose of the study is to create and to test a method based on the principles of semantic differential and to check the level of its consistency with the method of PsyCap.
Methodology: The study was conducted in Ukraine, at the first stage, there were 112 adult participants, where 52 were men and 60 were women. The second stage involved 69 people who were getting second higher education. For the purpose of mathematical and statistical processing of the obtained data, the SPSS 21 program was used, factor analysis and correlation analysis were performed.
Main Findings: The conducted research made it possible to reveal the semantic space of the "work" concept, and to distinguish four main factors: stability, effectiveness, relations in the team and discipline. They do not coincide with the parameters of the PsyCap, which include self-confidence, the ability and willingness to make efforts to successfully accomplish complex tasks - that is efficiency; optimism - a positive attributive style regarding the success of current and future activities; hope - vision of the perspective, purposefulness in the construction of activity; resilience - ability to overcome difficulties, solve problems in the process of achieving the goal.
Applications of this study: The study could be useful for HR-specialists, psychologists, and employees in different spheres. In further research, it is desirable to continue the testing and standardization of the semantic differential "Attitude to work" and to conduct a cross-cultural study to find out if these factors of attitude to work are purely Ukrainian, or they are more general in nature.
Novelty/Originality: Modern methods of studying psychological capital are cumbersome and unprotected from the influence of socially desirable responses. Therefore, there was a need to create a smaller procedure based on the principles of the semantic differential.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Andrii Trofimov, Olga Drobot, Anzhelika Kоkаrieva, Nataliia Maksymova, Antonina Lovochkina, Inna Kozytska, THE INFLUENCE OF MANAGEMENT STYLE AND EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE ON THE FORMATION OF EMPLOYEES’ COMMITMENT AND LOYALTY , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Avey,J. B., Luthans,F.&Jensen,S. M. (2009). Psychological capital: A positive resourcefor combating employee stress and turnover. Human Resource Management, 48(5), 677–693. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.20294
- Avey, J. B., Patera,J. L.&West,B. J. (2006). The implications of positive psychological capital on employee absenteeism. Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies, 13(2), 42–60. https://doi.org/10.1177/10717919070130020401
- Avey, J. B., Reichard, R. J., Luthans, F. & Mhatre, K. H. (2011). A meta-analysis of the impact of positive psychological capital on employee attitudes, behaviors, and performance. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 22(2), 127–152. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.20070
- Chen, X., Zeng, G., Chang, E.C. & Cheung, H.Y. (2019). What Are the Potential Predictors of Psychological Capital for Chinese Primary School Teachers? Frontiers in Education, 50(4). doi: 10.3389/feduc.2019.00050
- Gong, Zh. (2018). Research on the Effect of Positive Emotion Intervention on Employees’ Psychological Capital. Advances in Applied Sociology, 8, 646-657. doi: 10.4236/aasoci.2018.89038.
- Görgens-Ekermans, G., & Herbert, M. (2013). Psychological capital: Internal and external validity of the Psychological Capital Questionnaire (PCQ-24) on a South African sample. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 39(2), Art. #1131. http://dx.doi.org/10.4102/sajip.v39i2.1131
- Hobfoll, S. (2002). Social and psychological resources and adaptation. Review of General Psychology, 6, 307–324. https://doi.org/10.1037//1089-26188.8.131.527
- Kamei, H., Ferreira, M.C., Valentini, F., Peres, M.F.P., Kamei, P.T. & Damasio, B.F. (2018). Psychological Capital Questionnaire – Short Version (PCQ-12): evidence of Validity of The Brazilian Version. Psico-USF, 23(2), 203-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1413-82712018230202
- Lorenz, T., Beer, C., Pütz, J. & Heinitz, K. (2016). Measuring Psychological Capital: Construction and Validation of the Compound PsyCap Scale (CPC-12). PLoS One, 11(4): e0152892. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0152892
- Luthans,F.& Youssef-Morgan, C.M. (2017). Psychological Capital: An Evidence-Based Positive Approach. Annual Review of Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, 4, 339-366. doi 10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-032516-113324
- Luthans, F., Avolio, B. J., Avey, J. B. & Norman, S. M. (2007). Positive psychological capital: Measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction. Personnel Psychology, 60(3), 541–572.
- Martynova, S. (2018). Modern Russian society in the context of antroposocietal approach. Annals of Anthropological Practice, 42(1), 19-28. https://doi.org/10.1111/napa.12115
- Martynova, S.E.& Evarovich, S.A. (2018). Participative HR-Technologies in the Governance of the Russian Regions. Space and Culture, India, 6(4), 36-47. https://doi.org/10.20896/saci.v6i4.384
- Martynova, S.E., Dmitriev, Y.G., Gajfullina, M.M. & Totskaya, Y.A. (2017). “Service” Municipal Administration as Part of the Development of Youth Entrepreneurship in Russia. Social Indicators Research, 133(3), 1151-1164. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-016-1406-2
- Nguyen, T. D.&Nguyen, T. T. M. (2012). Psychological capital, quality of work life, and quality of life of marketers: Evidence from Vietnam. Journal of Macromarketing, 32, 87–95. https://doi.org/10.1177/0276146711422065
- Peterson, S. J., Luthans, F., Avolio, B. J., Walumbwa, F. O.& Zhang, Z. (2011). Psychological capital and employee performance: A latent growth modelling approach. Personnel Psychology, 64, 427–450. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2011.01215.x
- Rego, A., Marques, C., Leal, S., Sousa, F.& Pina e Cunha, M. (2010). Psychological capital and performance of Portuguese civil servants: Exploring neutralizers in the context of an appraisal system. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 21, 1531–1552. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2010.488459
- Shahnawaz, M.G., Jamee, S. & Abdurrahiman, A. (2018). Social Capital and Psychological Capital as Predictors of Performance and Wellbeing in the Indian Context. Defence Life Science Journal, 3(4), 348-355. DOI: 10.14429/dlsj.3.13399
- Soraya Santana-Cardenas, S., Viseu, J., Lopez Nuñez, M.I. & De Jesus, S.N. (2018). 4Validity and reliability evidence of the Psychological Capital Questionnaire-12 in a sample of Mexican workers. Anales de Psicología, 34(3), 562-570. http://dx.doi.org/10.6018/analesps.34.3.319211
- Takahashi, H., Ban, M. & Asada, M. (2016). 3Semantic Differential Scale Method Can Reveal Multi-Dimensional Aspects of Mind Perception. Frontiers in Psychology, 7: 1717. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.01717
- Tosten, R., & Toprak, M. (2017). Positive psychological capital and emotional labor: A study in educational organizations. Cogent Education, 4(1), 1301012. https://doi.org/10.1080/2331186X.2017.1301012
- Trofimov, A., Bondar, I., Trofimova, D., Miliutina, К.& Riabchych, І. (2016). Organizational commitment factors: role of employee work engagement Revista Espacios, 28(24), 18.
- Verleysen, B., Lambrechts, F. & Van Acker, F. (2015). Building Psychological Capital With Appreciative Inquiry: Investigating the Mediating Role of Basic Psychological Need Satisfaction. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 51(1), 10-35. DOI: 10.1177/0021886314540209
- Wang, Y., Tsai, Ch.-H., Tsai, F.-Sh., Huang, W. & de la Cruz, Sh. M. (2018). Antecedent and Consequences of Psychological Capital of Entrepreneurs. Sustainability, 10, 3717. doi:10.3390/su10103717
- Williams, P., Kern, M.L. & Waters, L. (2015). A Longitudinal Examination of the Association Between Psychological Capital, Perception of Organizational Virtues and Work Happiness in School Staff. Psychology of Well-Being, 5, 5. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13612-015-0032-0
- Ziyae, B., Mobaraki, M.H. & Saeediyoun, M. (2015). The Effect of Psychological Capital on Innovation in Information Technology. Journal of Global Entrepreneurship Research, 5, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40497-015-0024-9