Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
THE INFLUENCES OF JOB PERFORMANCE, WORK-LIFE BALANCE AND ORGANIZATIONAL JUSTICE ON EMPLOYEES’ CAREER SATISFACTION
Corresponding Author(s) : Saraih U. N.
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose of study: This study is conducted to identify the relationships between job performance, work-life balance and organizational justice towards employee's career satisfaction from one of the manufacturing companies in the north of Malaysia.
Methodology: The study is done by utilizing a random sample of 240 employees in the company. Type of investigation is a correlation study and it is cross-sectional on time horizon. The unit of analysis is an individual level; therefore, all employees in the company have chances to serve as the participants in this study. Data has been analysed from 148 respondents.
Results: Results show significant and positive relationships between job performance, work-life balance and organizational justice towards employees' career satisfaction. Organizational justice is the most significant factor in career satisfaction in this study (β=.83, p=.00). Other factors such as job performance (β=.71, p=.00), and work-life balance (β=.71, p=.00) also positively correlated with employees’ career satisfaction.
Implications/Applications: These significant results imply that managers should provide good elements of justice in the company to raise the level of their employee's career satisfaction. At the same time, the employees should maintain a higher level of job performance as well as to manage the good working life balance in them.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Saraih U. N., Azmi A. H., Sakdan M. F., Mohd Karim K., Amlus M. H., UNDERSTANDING THE EFFECTS OF INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION AND TASK DESIGN ON JOB PERFORMANCE AMONG EMPLOYEES IN THE MANUFACTURING COMPANY , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Al-Zu'bi, H. A. (2010). A Study of Relationship between organizational justice and job satisfaction. International Journal of Business and Management, 5(12), 102–109. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v5n12p102
- Al Rawashdeh, E. T. (2013). Organizational justice and its impact on job performance in the Jordanian Customs Department. International Management Review, 9(2), 29–35. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=91879704&site=ehost-live
- Ali, S. M., Shaharudin, M. R., & Anuar, A. (2012). The association between job positions, work experience and career satisfaction: The case of Malaysian’s academic staff. Asian Social Science, 8(10), 35. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v8n10p35
- Amabile, T. M., & Kramer, S. J. (2011). The power of small wins. Harvard Business Review, (May), 75–94. Retrieved from https://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cbmp/content/sample/R1105C-PDF-ENG
- Cotter-Lockard, D., Seashore, C., & Snow, J. (2009). Edgar Schein’s organizational culture and leadership, as seen through the lens of Ken Wilber’s AQAL Framework (and the author’s eyes).
- Department of Statistics Malaysia. (2010). Gross domestics product (GDP) by state 2010.
- George, D., & Mallery, P. (2016).IBM SPSS statistics 23 step by step (14th ed.). Francis & Taylor. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315545899
- Greenhaus, J. H., Allen, T. D., & Spector, P. E. (2006). health Consequences of work-family conflict: The dark side of the work-family interface. In P. L. Perrewé & D. C. Ganster (Eds.), Employee Health, Coping and Methodologies (Research in Occupational Stress and Well-being (5th ed., pp. 61–98). Emerald Group Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1479-3555(05)05002-X
- Hamlett, J. (2014).Exploring how managers’ perception of organizational justice influences job satisfaction and turnover intention. Northcentral University.
- Hussin, A. (2011). The relationship between job satisfaction dan job performance among employees in Tradewinds group of companies. Open University Malaysia.
- Ismajli, N., Krasniqi, I., & Qosja, E. (2015). Career development and advancement of human resources – how they influence the performance qualities of local government administration. Issues in Business Management and Economics, 3(2), 17–23. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.15739/IBME.2014.011
- Jackinda, J. (2016). Influence of work-life balance on job satisfaction of employees in Milimani Law Courts, Nairobi, Kenya. University of Nairobi, Kenya.
- Jafari, P., Motlagh, F. S., Yarmohammadian, M. H., & Delavar, A. (2011). Designing an adjusted model of organizational justice for the educational system in Esfahan City (Iran). Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 15(September 2015), 1696–1704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.03.354
- Kluczyk, M. (2013). The impact od work-life balance on the wellbeing of employees in the private sector in Ireland. National College of Ireland.
- Meenakshi, S. P., & Subrahmanyam, V Ravichandran, D. K. (2013). Entrepreneurship as a tool for the empowerment of rural women in India. Journal Of Humanities And Social Science, 13(5), 7–12. https://doi.org/10.9790/0837-1350712
- Muhammad Azeem, M., Abrar, M., Bashir, M., & Zubair, A. (2015). Impact of organizational justice and psychological empowerment on perceived organizational performance : The mediating role of organizational citizenship behaviour. American Journal of Industrial and Business Management, 5, 272–280. https://doi.org/10.4236/ajibm.2015.55029
- Muindi, F., & K 'obonyo, P. (2015). Quality of work-life, personality, job satisfaction, competence, and job performance: A critical review of the literature. European Scientific Journal, 11(26), 1857–7881.
- O’Connor, E. P., & Crowley-Henry, M. (2017). Exploring the relationship between exclusive talent management, perceived organizational justice and employee engagement: Bridging the literature. Journal of Business Ethics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-017-3543-1
- Raziq, A., & Maulabakhsh, R. (2014). Impact of working environment on job satisfaction. Procedia Economics and Finance, 23(October 2014), 717–725. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00524-9
- Rita Silva, M., & Caetano, A. (2014). Organizational justice: What changes, what remains the same? Journal of Organizational Change Management, 27(1), 23–40. https://doi.org/10.1108/JOCM-06-2013-0092
- Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. A. (2017).Organizational behaviour (17th ed.). Pearson eText -- Access Card Package.
- Rupp, D. E., Wright, P. M., Aryee, S., & Luo, Y. (2015). Organizational justice, behavioural ethics and corporate social responsibility: Finally the three shall merge. Management and Organization Review, 11(1), 15–24. https://doi.org/10.1017/mor.2015.8
- Saraih, U. N., & Lim, C. S. (2017). Relationships between task performance, OCB, work deviant behaviour and career satisfaction : Evidence from Health Institution. In 3rd International Conference on Advanced Research and Business and Social Sciences 2017 (pp. 315–321). Pulau Langkawi.
- Sauer, K. L. (2009). Job and career satisfaction of management dietitians. Kansas State University.
- Sert, A., Elçi, M., Uslu, T., & Şener, İ. (2014). The effects of organizational justice and ethical climate on perceived work-related stress. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 150, 1187–1198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.09.134
- Shadab, M., & Arif, K. (2015). Impact of work-life balance on job satisfaction: A Case of Health Care Services in Pakistan. Developing Country Studies, 5(9), 132–139.
- Sonnentag, S., & Frese, M. (2003). Stress in organizations. In W. C. Borman, D. R. Ilgen, & R. J. Klimoski (Eds.), Comprehensive Handbook of Psychology, Volume Twelve: Industrial and Organizational Psychology (Vol. 12, pp. 453–491). New York: Wiley.
- Spurk, D., Abele, A. E., & Volmer, J. (2011). The career satisfaction scale: Longitudinal measurement invariance and latent growth analysis. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 84(2), 315–326. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.2011.02028.x
- Stanley, T. (2016). Work environments, creative behaviours and employee engagement. The Queensland University of Technology.
- Till, R. E., & Karren, R. (2011). Organizational justice perceptions and pay level satisfaction. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 26(1), 42–57. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683941111099619
- Ţuţu, A., & Constantin, T. (2012). Understanding job performance through persistence and job competency. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 33, 612–616. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.01.194
- Viseu, J., Rus, C. L., & De Jesus, S. N. (2015). How do organizational justice and health influence teachers ’ work engagement ? The European Health Psychologist, 17(4), 165–173.
- Wang, X., Liao, J., Xia, D., & Chang, T. (2010). The impact of organizational justice on work performance: Mediating effects of organizational commitment and leader-member exchange. International Journal of Manpower, 31(6), 660–677.
- Wynen, J., Op de Beeck, S., & Hondeghem, A. (2013). Interorganizational mobility within the U.S. Federal Government: Examining the effect of individual and organizational factors. Public Administration Review, 73(6). https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.12113