Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
UNDERSTANDING THE EFFECTS OF INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION AND TASK DESIGN ON JOB PERFORMANCE AMONG EMPLOYEES IN THE MANUFACTURING COMPANY
Corresponding Author(s) : Saraih U. N.
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
on job performance among employees from the manufacturing industry.
Methodology: The data is analyzed through a survey (questionnaire) from 152 employees in one of the manufacturing companies in Penang, Malaysia. Hypotheses for all direct effects between the predictors (eg. interpersonal communication and task design) and criterion (job performance) are tested using regression analysis.
Result: Results presented that employees in this company have a high level of job performance (µ = 3.70); interpersonal communication (µ =3.64) and task design (µ =3.66). Also, positive correlations are found between employees’ performance and interpersonal communication (r=.53, p=.00) and task design (r=.54, p=.00).
Implications: Thus, this research provided a fruitful knowledge regarding the level of employees’ performance as well as their internal communication and task design; among employees in one of the manufacturing company in Malaysia.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Saraih U. N., Mohd Zaki M. I. I., Mohd Karim K., Sakdan M. F., Amlus M. H., THE INFLUENCES OF JOB PERFORMANCE, WORK-LIFE BALANCE AND ORGANIZATIONAL JUSTICE ON EMPLOYEES’ CAREER SATISFACTION , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Achiaa, M.-B. N. A. (2012). The effect of job design on employee motivation and job performance: A case study of GT bank and GCB. Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.
- Ahmad, S., & Shahzad, K. (2011). HRM and employee performance: A case of university teachers of Azad Jammu and Kashmir ( AJK ) in Pakistan. African Journal of Business Management, 5(13), 5249–5253.
- Ali, N., & Zia-ur-Rehman, M. (2014). Impact of job design on employee performance, mediating role of job satisfaction: A study of FMCG’s sector in Pakistan. International Journal of Business and Management, 9(2), 70–79. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v9n2p70
- Anderson, C. M., & Martin, M. M. (1995). Why employees speak to co-workers and bosses: Motives, gender and organizational satisfaction. Journal of Business Communication, 32(3), 249–265. https://doi.org/10.1177/002194369503200303
- Aswathappa, K. E. M. A. L. (2013). Human resource management: Text and cases. Tata: McGraw Hill Education.
- Birhane, G. (2016).Determinant factors affecting employees’ job performance : The case of Addis Ababa City branches Wegagen Bank S.C. Addis Ababa University.
- Bodmer, W. (1993). Principles of Scientific Management. The FASEB Journal, 7(9), 723–724. https://doi.org/10.2307/257617
- Buchanan, D. A., & Bryman, A. (2007). Contextualizing methods choice in organizational research. Organizational Research Methods, 10(3), 483–501. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094428106295046
- Chin-Wen Liao, Lu, C.-Y., Huang, C.-K., & Chiang, T.-L. (2012). Work values, work attitude and job performance of green energy industry employees in Taiwan. African Journal of Business Management, 6(15), 5299–5318. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJBM11.1449
- Department of Statistics Malaysia. (2018). Gross domestics product (GDP) by state 2018. Kuala Lumpur. Retrieved from https://www.dosm.gov.my/v1/index.php?r=column/cone&menu_ id=dUtRR1JYWjk2TEJha1Br Zml0REY4UT09
- Femi, A. F. (2014). The impact of communication on workers’ performance in selected organisations in Lagos State, Nigeria. Journal Of Humanities and Social Science, 19(8), 75–82. Retrieved from www.iosrjournals.org. https://doi.org/10.9790/0837-19827582
- Goris, J. R. (2007). Effects of satisfaction with communication on the relationship between individual‐job congruence and job performance/satisfaction. Journal of Management Development, 26(8), 737–752. https://doi.org/10.1108/02621710710777255
- Hargie, O., Dickson, D., & Tourish, D. (1999). Communication in management. Corporate Communication: An International Journal, 4(4), 208–209. https://doi.org/10.1108/ccij.19188.8.131.52.2
- Idowu, A. O. (2017). Effectiveness of performance appraisal system and its effect on employee motivation. Nile Journal of Business and Economics, 5(April), 15–39. https://doi.org/10.20321/nilejbe.v3i5.88
- Ngugi, J. K. (2014). Effects of job design on an employees performance: A case study of Equity Bank. South Eastern Kenya University.
- Opatha, H. H. D. N. P. (2002).Performance evaluation of human resources. Institute of Management and Science. Sri Lanka.
- Plunkett, W. R., Attner, R. F., & Allen, G. S. (2007). Study guide for Plunkett/Attner/Allen's management: meeting and exceeding customer expectations. Mason, OH, United States: Cengage Learning, Inc.
- Price, B. (1989). Frank and Lillian Gilbreth and the manufacturing and marketing of motion study, 1908-1924. Business and Economic History, 18(18), 88–98.
- Sarasvathy, M. (2013). Identifying factors that influence job performance amongst employees in oil palm plantation. Open University Malaysia.
- Singh, A. K., & Lalropuii. (2014). Role of interpersonal communication in organizational effectiveness. International Journal of Research in Management & Business Studies, 1(4), 36–39.
- Sonnentag, S., Volmer, J., & Spychala, A. (2008). Job performance. The SAGE Handbook of Organizational Behavior: Volume I - Micro Approaches, 1(January), 427–450. https://doi.org/10.4135/9781849200448.n24
- Sumeya, A. A. (2016).The influence of internal communication channels on employee performance in nonprofit organizations in Somalia. United States International University-Africa. Retrieved from http://erepo.usiu.ac.ke/handle/11732/3058
- Treven, S., Mulej, M., & Lynn, M. (2008). The impact of culture on organizational behaviour. Management, 13(2), 27–39. Retrieved from http://uq.summon.serialssolutions.com/link/0/eLvHCXMwY2 BQSE01BpZ yqeC0lAhs36YB2_jmKcCmtWFyYpp5mgXKWAdSae4myqDk5hri7KELKxXjE5NAHf7kkuJ4UzPQhJixkaEYA28iaPF3Xgl4k1gKAN3UHV0
- Vardaman, G. T., & Halterman, C. C. (1968). Managerial control through communication: Systems for organizational diagnosis and design. New York, United States: John Wiley and Sons. Retrieved from https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/45234467
- Vladimir, N., Dana, L.-P., Gordana, P., & Filip, F. (2017). Why interpersonal communication is important in public administration? Współczesne Problemy Ekonomiczne, 1(14), 55–77. https://doi.org/10.18276/wpe.2017.14-04
- Vosloban, R. I. (2012). The influence of the employee’s performance on the company’s growth - A managerial perspective. Procedia Economics and Finance, 3(12), 660–665. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(12)00211-0
- Wilson, D. (2008). Research on traditional communication in Africa: The development and future directions. In M. Benedict (Ed.), African Communication Research (Vol. 1, pp. 113–136). Africa: St. Augustine University of Tanzania.
- Wulandari, R. (2014). Enhancing job performance through effective interpersonal communication for foreign managers to Indonesian co-workers. Research Journal of Business Management, 8(4), 379–389. https://doi.org/10.3923/rjbm.2014.379.389
- Zareen, M., Razzaq, K., & Mujtaba, B. G. (2013). Job Design and Employee Performance: The Moderating Role of Employee Psychological Perception. European Journal of Business and Management, 5(5), 46–56. Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.902.6951&rep=rep1&type=pdf