Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
ANALYSIS OF THE FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE CUSTOMER PURCHASE INTENTION TOWARDS LUXURY FASHION GOODS
Corresponding Author(s) : Haniza Hashim
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose: Malaysia is an important luxury market and this luxury industry wills growth in the future because of the demand from young Malaysian consumers. Therefore, the purpose of this study is to examine the influencing factors that affect Malaysian Consumers’ purchase intention towards luxury fashion goods and their relative importance.
Methodology: Questionnaires had been distributed to 200 respondents. Data had been analyzed using SPSS to identify whether factors such as materialism, social comparison, and brand consciousness have a significant relationship with the intention to purchase luxury fashion goods.
Results: Results indicated that materialism and brand consciousness has a positive relationship with the purchase intention of luxury fashion goods in Malaysia.
Implications: Malaysian consumers are more conscious and more aware of the unique brands to give prominence to their self-identity.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Belk, R. (1985). Materialism: trait aspects of living in the material world. Journal of Consumer Research, 12(3), 265-280.2. Bian, Q., & Forsythe, S. (2012). Purchase intention for luxury brands: A cross-cultural comparison. Journal of Business Research, 65(10), 1443-1451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.10.010
- Chan, K., & Prendergast, G. (2007). Materialism and social comparison among adolescents. Social Behavior and Personality, 35(2), 213–228. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2007.35.2.213
- Dittmar, H. (1994). Material possessions as stereotypes: Material images of different socio-economic groups. Journal of Economic Psychology, 15(4), 561–585. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4870(94)90011-6
- Dunning, D., & Hayes, A. (1996). Evidence of egocentric comparison in social judgment. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 71, 213-229. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206
- Euromonitor International. (2015, January). Luxury goods in Japan. Retrieved August 28, 2015, from Euromonitor International: http://www.euromonitor.com/luxury-goods-in-japan/report
- Fan, J., & Xiao, J. (1998). Consumer decision-making styles of young-adult Chinese. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 32(2), 275-294. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.1998.tb00410.x
- Festinger, L. (1954). A theory of social comparison processes. Human Relation, 7(2), 117-140. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872675400700202
- Fishbein, M., &Ajzen, I. (1975). Belief, Attitude, Intention and Behavior: An Introduction to Theory Reasoned Action. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Gao, L., Norton, M., Zhang, Z., & To, C. (2009). Potential niche markets for luxury fashion goods in China. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 13(4), 514–526. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020910991376
- Goody. (2006). From misery to luxury. Social Science Information, 45(3), 341-348. https://doi.org/10.1177/0539018406066526
- Han, Y., Nunes, J., &Drèze, X. (2010). Signalling status with luxury goods: the role of brand prominence. Journal of Marketing, 74(4), 15-30. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.74.4.015
- Husic, M., & Cicic, M. (2009). Luxury consumption factors. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 13(2), 231-245. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020910957734
- Jain, V., Roy, S., & Ranchhod, A. (2015). Conceptualizing luxury buying behaviour: the Indian perspective. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 24(3), 211 – 228. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBM-07-2014-0655
- Kamal, S., Chu, S., & Pedram, M. (2013). Materialism, Attitudes, and Social Media Usage and Their Impact on Purchase Intention of Luxury Fashion Goods Among American and Arab Young Generations. Journal of Interactive Advertising, 13(1), 27-40. ttps://doi.org/10.1080/15252019.2013.768052
- Kamarulzaman, A. A., Hezlin, H., Salmi, M. Z., & Nor Azlina, A. (2013). The commercialisation of University Research: An Investigation of Researchers' Behaviour. Communications of IBIMA, 19.
- Kapferer, J., & Bastien, V. (2008). The specificity of luxury management: Turning marketing upside down. Brand Management, 16(5/6), 311-322. https://doi.org/10.1057/bm.2008.51
- LaChance, J., Beaudoin, P., & Robitaille, J. (2003). Adolescents’ brand sensitivity in apparel: influence of three socialization agents. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 27(1), 47–57. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1470-6431.2003.00261.x
- Lehmann, D., & Winer, R. (1997). Irwin, Sydney: Product Management 2nd ed.
- Liao, J., & Wang, L. (2009). Face as a mediator of the relationship between material value and brand consciousness. Psychology and Marketing, 26(11), 987–1001. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20309
- Lilly, Y., Bose, M., & Pelton, L. (2012). Dispelling the collective myth of Chinese consumers: a new generation of brand-conscious individualists. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 29(3), 190-201. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363761211221729
- Lu, P., & Pras, B. (2011). Profiling mass affluent luxury goods consumers in China: a psychographic approach. Thunderbird International Business Review, 53(4), 435-455. https://doi.org/10.1002/tie.20422
- Manson, R. (1981). Conspicuous consumption: A Study of Exceptional Consumer Behavior. St Martin's Press, New York.
- Nelson, M., & McLeod, L. (2005). Adolescent brand consciousness and product placement: awareness, liking and perceived effects on self and others. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 29(6), 515-528. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1470-6431.2005.00429.x
- Park, H.-J., Burns, L., & Rabolt, N. (2007). Fashion innovativeness, materialism, and attitude toward purchasing foreign fashion goods online across national borders: the moderating effect of internet innovativeness. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 11(2), 201–214. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020710751383
- Park, H.-J., Rabolt, N., & Jeon, K.-S. (2008). Purchasing global luxury brands among young Korean consumers. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 12(2), 244-259. https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020810874917
- Richins, M. (1994). Special possessions and the expression of material values. Journal of Consumer Research, 21(3), 522–533. https://doi.org/10.1086/209415
- Richins, M., & Dawson, S. (1992). A consumer values orientation for materialism and its measurement: Scale development and validation. Journal of Consumer Research, 19(3), 303-316. https://doi.org/10.1086/209304
- Sadqes-haghi, S. (2014). Factors affecting consumer attitude and their impact on purchase intention of leather clothes. Journal of Switzerland Research Park, 103(1), 33-47.
- Shukla, P. (2012). The influence of value perceptions on luxury purchase intentions in developed and emerging markets. International Marketing Review, 29(6), 574 - 596. https://doi.org/10.1108/02651331211277955
- Sproles, G., & Kendall, E. (1986). A methodology for profiling consumers' decision-making style. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 20(2), 267–279. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.1986.tb00382.x
- Teimourpour, B., & Hanzaee, K. (2011). The impact of culture on luxury consumption behaviour among Iranian consumers. Journal of Islamic Research, 2(3), 309-328. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831111164822
- Vazifehdust, H., & Reihani, N. (2013). Why is Young Consumers ' Purchase Intention toward Foreign Luxury Good? Presenting Framework for Young Consumer Purchase Behavior Case Study: Mobile Consumers in Iran. Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 3(5), 914-923.
- Vigneron, F., & Johnson, L. (2004). Measuring perceptions of brand luxury. Brand Management, 11(6), 484-506. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540194
- Wang, Y., Sun, S., & Song, Y. (2011). Chinese luxury consumers: motivation, attitude, and behaviour. Journal of Promotion Management, 17(3), 345-359. https://doi.org/10.1080/10496491.2011.596122
- Wong, N. (1997). Suppose you own the world and no one knows? Conspicuous consumption, materialism and self. Advances in Consumer Research, 24(1), 197–203.
- Wu, M.-S., Chaney, I., Chen, C.-H., Bang, N., & Melawar, T. (2015). Luxury fashion brands: Factors influencing young female consumers' luxury fashion purchasing in Taiwan. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 18(3), 298-319. https://doi.org/10.1108/QMR-02-2014-0016
- Yim, Y.-C., Paul, L., Williams, J., Lee, S.-J., & Marcrury, I. (2014). Drivers of attitudes toward luxury brands: A cross-national investigation into the roles of interpersonal influence and brand consciousness. International Marketing Review, 31(4), 363-389. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMR-04-2011-0121
- Zhan, L., & He, Y. (2012). Understanding luxury consumption in China: consumer perceptions of best-known brands. Journal of Business Research, 65(10), 1452–1460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.10.011
- Zhang, B., & Kim, J.-H. (2013). Luxury fashion consumption in China: Factors affecting attitude and purchase intent. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Service, 20(1), 68-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2012.10.007