Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
INTENTION TO USE FINGERPRINT SYSTEM IN ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY
Corresponding Author(s) : Suguna Sinniah Sinniah
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose: The aim of this study is to assist the Malaysian electronics companies in reducing the non-value added practices and in return, will minimize the cost and improves productivity with the use of the fingerprint system.
Methodology: This study uses a quantitative research approach and data were sampled from 137 front-line employees using simple random sampling technique.
Result: The empirical findings of the study confirm that perceived usefulness and perceived ease of use significantly affect the intention to use the fingerprint system. However, there was not enough evidence that relative advantage has any effect on the intention to use the system.
Implications: The study results affirmed that business organizations, especially electronic companies should transform their use of conventional attendance system to fingerprint system in improving efficiencies and effectiveness within the human resource practices.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Agarwal, R. (2000). Individual Acceptance of Information Technologies. Educational Technology Research and Development. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(2001)014<2266:MOITDV>2.0.CO;2
- Alalwan, A. A., Dwivedi, Y. K., Rana, N. P. P., & Williams, M. D. (2016). Consumer adoption of mobile banking in Jordan: Examining the role of usefulness, ease of use, perceived risk and self-efficacy. Journal of Enterprise Information Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-04-2015-0035
- Anderson, J. C., & Gerbing, D. W. (1988). Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach. Psychological Bulletin. https://doi.org/10.1037//0033-2909.103.3.411
- Arif, A., Li, T., & Cheng, C. H. (2017). Blurred fingerprint image enhancement: algorithm analysis and performance evaluation. Signal, Image and Video Processing. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11760-017-1218-0
- Bagozzi, R. P., & Yi, Y. (1988). On the evaluation of structural equation models. Journal of the academy of marketing science, 16(1), 74-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02723327
- Byun, S., & Byun, S. E. (2013). Exploring perceptions toward biometric technology in service encounters: A comparison of current users and potential adopters. Behaviour and Information Technology. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144929X.2011.553741
- Chew, J., & Chan, C. C. (2008). Human resource practices, organizational commitment and intention to stay. International journal of manpower, 29(6), 503-522.Davis, F. D. (1989). Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology. MIS Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- Choudhary, P. K., & Nagaraja, H. N. (2017). Measuring Agreement: Models, Methods, and Applications (Vol. 891). John Wiley & Sons. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118553282
- Davis, F. D. (1989). Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS quarterly, 319-340. https://doi.org/10.2307/249008
- Davis, F.D, Bagozzi, R. P., Warshaw, P, R. (1989). "Use acceptance of computer technology: A comparison of two theoretical models”, Management Science, 35, 982 – 1003. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.8.982
- Dijkstra, T. K., & Henseler, J. (2015). Consistent Partial Least Squares Path Modeling. MIS quarterly, 39(2). https://doi.org/10.25300/MISQ/2015/39.2.02
- Dooley, K. J. (2011). Organizational psychology. In Chaos and Complexity in Psychology: The Theory of Nonlinear Dynamical Systems. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781139058544.015
- Eriksson, K., Kerem, K., & Nilsson, D. (2005). Customer acceptance of internet banking in Estonia. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320510584412Field, A. (2005). Discovering Statistics Using SPSS. London: Sage Publications. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320510584412
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D.F. (1981). Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18, 39 –50. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- Guriting, P., & Oly Ndubisi, N. (2006). Borneo online banking: Evaluating customer perceptions and behavioural intention. Management Research News. https://doi.org/10.1108/01409170610645402
- Gold, A. H., Malhotra, A., & Segars, A. H. (2001). Knowledge management: An organizational capabilities perspective. Journal of Management Information Systems. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2001.11045669
- Hair J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2016). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks.
- Hair, J. F. (2007). Research methods for business.
- Hair, J. F. Jr., Money, A.H., Samouel, P., & Page, M. (2007). Research methods for business. Chichester, West Sussex: John Wilet & Sons, Inc.
- Henseler, J., Hubona, G., & Ray, P. A. (2016). Using PLS path modeling in new technology research: updated guidelines. Industrial management & data systems, 116(1), 2-20. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMDS-09-2015-0382
- Henseler, J., Ringle, C. M., & Sarstedt, M. (2015). A new criterion for assessing discriminant validity in variance-based structural equation modeling. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 43(1), 115-135. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-014-0403-8
- Hernandez, J. M. C., & Mazzon, J. A. (2007). Adoption of internet banking: proposition and implementation of an integrated methodology approach. International Journal of Bank Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320710728410
- Hoelter, J. W. (1983). The analysis of covariance structures: Goodness-of-fit indices. Sociological Methods and Research, 11, 325-344. https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124183011003003
- Hu, L. T., & Bentler, P. M. (1999). Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural equation modeling: a multidisciplinary journal, 6(1), 1-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- Hamid, A. A., Razak, F. Z. A., Bakar, A. A., & Abdullah, W. S. W. (2016). The Effects of Perceived Usefulness and Perceived Ease of Use on Continuance Intention to Use E-Government. Procedia Economics and Finance. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)00079-4
- Igbaria, M., & Iivari, J. (1995). The effects of self-efficacy on computer usage. Omega. https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0483(95)00035-6
- Igbaria, M., Zinatelli, N., Cragg, P., & Cavaye, A. L. M. (1997). Personal Computing Acceptance Factors in Small Firms: A Structural Equation Model. MIS Quarterly. https://doi.org/10.2307/249498
- James, T., Pirim, T., & Boswell, K. (2006). Determining the intention to use biometric devices: An application and extension of the technology acceptance model. Journal of Organizational and End User Computing. https://doi.org/10.4018/9781599042954.ch005
- Jain, A. K., Ross, A., & Prabhakar, S. (2004). An introduction to biometric recognition. IEEE Transactions on circuits and systems for video technology, 14(1), 4-20. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2003.818349
- Jiang, P., Zhang, Y., Fu, W., Liu, H., & Su, X. (2015). Indoor mobile localization based on Wi-Fi fingerprint’s important access point. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/429104
- John W. Bond. (2009). The value of fingerprint evidence in detecting crime. International Journal of Police Science & Management, 11(1), 77–84. https://doi.org/10.1350/ijps.2009.11.1.111
- Johnson, S. M., Kraft, M. A., & Papay, J. P. (2012). How context matters in high-need schools: The effects of teachers’ working conditions on their professional satisfaction and their students’ achievement. Teachers College Record, 114(10), 1-39.
- Kepha, A. O. (2015). Influence of Human Resource Management Practices on the Performance of Employees in Research Institutes in Kenya (Doctoral dissertation).
- Kline, R.B. (2015). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling (4th ed.). New York: Guilford Publications.
- Kumar, N.R. & Krishnaveni, R. (2008). Role of HRD practices in building organizational commitment, Journal of Contemporary Research in Management, April-June, 59-68.
- Kucukusta, D., Law, R., Besbes, A., & Legohérel, P. (2015). Re-examining perceived usefulness and ease of use in online booking the case of Hong Kong online users. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCHM-09-2013-0413
- Lancelot Miltgen, C., Popovič, A., & Oliveira, T. (2013). Determinants of end-user acceptance of biometrics: Integrating the “big 3” of technology acceptance with privacy context. Decision Support Systems. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2013.05.010
- Lee, H. C., Ramotowski, R., & Gaensslen, R. E. (Eds.). (2001). Advances in fingerprint technology. CRC press.
- Lian, L. K., & Tui, L. G. (2012). The mediating effect of downward influence tactics on the relationship between leadership style and organizational citizenship behavior. Jurnal Pengurusan.
- Mattila, M. (2015). Factors affecting the adoption of mobile banking services. The Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 2003.
- McEvoy, T. G., Robinson, J. J., Aitken, R. P., Findlay, P. A., & Robertson, I. S. (1997). Dietary excesses of urea influence the viability and metabolism of preimplantation sheep embryos and may affect fetal growth among survivors. Animal reproduction science, 47(1), 71-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(96)01627-2
- McGrath, R. G., Tsai, M.-H., Venkataraman, S., & MacMillan, I. C. (1996). Innovation, Competitive Advantage and Rent: A Model and Test. Management Science, 42(3), 389–403. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.42.3.389. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.42.3.389
- Moore, G. C., & Benbasat, I. (1991). Development of an instrument to measure the perceptions of adopting an information technology innovation. Information systems research, 2(3), 192-222. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.2.3.192
- O’Gorman, L., & Chatham, N. J. (1999). 2 Fingerprint Verification. Personal Identification in Networked Society. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-32659-7
- O'Hair, D., Friedrich, G. W., & Dixon, L. D. (2007). Strategic communication in business and the professions. Allyn & Bacon.
- Ogbanufe, O., & Kim, D. J. (2018). Comparing fingerprint-based biometrics authentication versus traditional authentication methods for e-payment. Decision Support Systems. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2017.11.003
- Pankanti, S., Prabhakar, S., & Jain, A. K. (2002). On the individuality of fingerprints. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2002.1023799
- Park, H. M. (2015). Univariate analysis and normality test using SAS, Stata, and SPSS.
- Paul, A. K., & Anantharaman, R. N. (2004). Influence of HRM practices on organizational commitment: A study among software professionals in India.Human Resource Development Quarterly, 15(1), 77-88. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.1088
- Podsakoff, P.M., & Organ, D.W. (1986). "Self-reports in organizational research: Problems and prospects " Journal of Management, 12(4), 531–544. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920638601200408
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., Lee, J.-Y., & Podsakoff, N.P. (2003) “Common methods biases in behavioral research: a critical review of the literature and recommended remedies," Journal of Applied Psychology 88(5), 879–903. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- Porter, M. E. (1985). Technology and competitive advantage. Journal of business strategy, 5(3), 60-78. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb039075
- Preacher, K.J., & Hayes, A.F. (2008). Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models. Behavior Research Methods, 40(3), 879–891. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.40.3.879
- Ramayah, T., Yeap, J. A. L., & Ignatius, J. (2013). An Empirical Inquiry on Knowledge Sharing Among Academicians in Higher Learning Institutions. Minerva. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11024-013-9229-7
- Ratha, N., & Bolle, R. (Eds.). (2007). Automatic fingerprint recognition systems. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Rogers, E. M. (1995). Diffusion of Innovations-Fourth Edition. Everett M. Rogers. https://doi.org/citeulike-article- id:126680
- Rogers, E. M. (2015). Evolution: Diffusion of Innovations. In International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences: Second Edition. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-097086-8.81064-8
- Sekaran, U., & Bougie, R. (2010). Theoretical framework In theoretical framework and hypothesis development. Research Methods for Business: A Skill Building Approach, United Kingdom: Wiley, 80.
- Silaparasetti, V., Srinivasarao, G. V. R., & Khan, F. R. (2017). Structural Equation Modeling Analysis Using Smart Pls To Assess The Occupational Health And Safety (Ohs) Factors On Workers’behavior. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 5(2), 88-97. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2017.524
- Soh, K. L., Wongand, W. P., & Chan, K. L. (2010). Adoption of biometric technology in online applications. International Journal of Business and Management Science.
- Teo, T. S., Lim, G. S., & Fedric, S. A. (2007). The adoption and diffusion of human resources information systems in Singapore. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 45(1), 44-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/1038411107075402
- Thomas, M. (2004). Is Malaysia's Mykad the One Card to Rule Them All-The Urgent Need to Develop a Proper Legal Framework for the Protection of Personal Information in Malaysia. Melb. UL Rev., 28, 474.
- Thompson, R. L., Higgins, C. A., & Howell, J. M. (1991). Personal computing: toward a conceptual model of utilization. MIS quarterly, 125-143. https://doi.org/10.2307/249443
- Venkatesh, V. (2000). Determinants of Perceived Ease of Use: Integrating Control, Intrinsic Motivation, and Emotion into the Technology Acceptance Model. Information Systems Research. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.11.4.342.11872.
- Vroom, V. H. (1964). Work and motivation. John Wiley and Sons. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2014.02.116
- Wang, Y. S., Wang, Y. M., Lin, H. H., & Tang, T. I. (2003). Determinants of user acceptance of Internet banking: An empirical study. In International Journal of Service Industry Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230310500192
- Weiers, R. M. (2008). Introduction to Statistics.
- Yong, A. G., & Pearce, S. (2013). A beginner’s guide to factor analysis: Focusing on exploratory factor analysis. Tutorials in quantitative methods for psychology, 9(2), 79-94. https://doi.org/10.20982/tqmp.09.2.p079
- Zikmund, G., Babin, B. J., & Carr, J. C. M. Griffin (2010). Business Research Method.
- Zikmund, W. G., McLeod, R., & Gilbert, F. W. (2003). Customer relationship management: Integrating marketing strategy and information technology. New York, NY: Wiley.