Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
INTRODUCING NEW EMPLOYEE EMPOWERMENT APPROACH: A SYSTEMATIC LITERATURE REVIEW
Corresponding Author(s) : Gibriel Badjie
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 5 (2019): September
Purpose of the study: The aim of the paper is to introduce newly developed constructs of employee empowerment as alternatives to the existing measures serving both the organization and employees. Centered on employees as the focus of the argument regarding how genuinely employee empowerment is realistically practiced in organizations today.
Methodology: The study applied systematic literature review (SLR) or systematic research synthesis (SRS) as the method to gather, analyze and respond to the research query. The study method embraces the definition of SLR by Rousseau et al., (2008). The conditions for the literature search electronically were done through multiple journal sites. The gathered academic published materials were dated between 1954-2017.
Main Findings: The findings revealed that there is a misconception surrounding the true picture of employee empowerment in organizations. Different organizations have different interpretations of employee empowerment as deem fitting to serve their needs. Most findings propagate employee empowerment on the conditions of internal factors of the organization.
Applications of this study: This new approach to employee empowerment will give employees a new lease of life that extends beyond the immediate influence of the organization. It incorporates external factors as both define and shape the attitude and behaviors of employees. Both micro and macro factors relating to work roles and non-work roles of employees matter in empowerment.
Novelty/Originality of this study: This study takes a holistic approach to employee empowerment by taking both inside-out and outside-in approach to factors that have strong influence on the attitude and behavior of employees thus relates to performance. It introduces new measures for employee empowerment.
- Abd-El-Salam, E. M., Shawky, A. Y., El-Nahas, T.M., & Nawar, Y. S. (2013). The Relationship among Job Satisfaction, Motivation, Leadership, Communication and Psychological Empowerment: An Egyptian Case Study, S.A.M. Advanced Management Journal, ABI/INFORM Collection, Vol. 78, No.2, pg. 33, https://search.proquest.com/openview/cdb03be3b816556b3e9a8ce478e678a2/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=40946
- Ashforth, B. E. & Mael, F. (1989). Social identity theory and the organization, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 20-39. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4278999
- Bacharach, S. B. & Lawler, E. J. (1980). Power and Politics in Organizations, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass
- Bandura, A. (1986). The Explanatory and Predictive Scope of Self-Efficay Theory, Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology, Vol.4, Iss. 3, pp. 359-373. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.1922.214.171.1249
- Beaty, R. P., & Ritter, J. R. (1986). Investment banking, reputation and the underpricing of initial public offerings. Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 15, pp. 213-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(86)90055-3
- Blau, P. (1964). Exchange and Power in social life, New York, Wiley
- Block, P. (1987). The empowered manager: Positive political skills at work. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Brymer, R. A. (1991). Employee Empowerment: A Guest- Driven Leadership Strategy, Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 32(1), 58-68. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F001088049103200116
- Cho, J., Laschinger, H.K. S & Wong, C. (2006). workplace empowerment, work engagement and engagement and organizational commitment of New Graduate Nurses, Journal of Nursing Leadership, Vol. 9, No. 3. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Heather_Laschinger/publication/6755559_Workplace_Empowerment_Work_Engagement_and_Organizational_Commitment_of_New_Graduate_Nurses/links/0912f50aae6a2d23c7000000.pdf
- Conger, J. A. & Kanungo, R. N. (1988). The Empowerment Process: Integrating Theory and Practice, The Academy of Management Review, Vol.13, No.3, pp.471-482. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4306983
- Cowell, N., M. & Saunders, T., S. (2010). Family Values and Employment Relations: A Jamaican Case Study, Social and Economic Studies, ProQuest, Vol.59, No.3 pg. 97-126. https://www.jstor.org/stable/41803639
- Cropanzano, R. & Mitchell, M. S. (2005). Social exchange theory: An interdisciplinary review, Journal of management, Vol. 31, No.6, pg. 874-900. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0149206305279602
- Deci, E. L. (1971). Effects of externally mediated rewards on intrinsic motivation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.18, pp. 105–115. https://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/h0030644
- Derry, R. (1991) ‘Institutionalizing ethical motivation in business ethics’, in E. Freeman (Ed.), Business Ethics: The State of Art. New York, NY: Oxford University Press
- Emerson R. M. (1976), Social exchange theory, Annual review of sociology, Vol.2, pp. 335-362. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.so.02.080176.002003
- Fagenson, E. A. (1988), The Power of a mentor: Protégé’s and nonproteges’ Perceptions of their own power in Organizations, Journal of Group & Organizations Studies, Vol. 13, Iss. 2, pp.182-194, https://doi.org/10.1177%2F105960118801300205
- Fernandez, S. & Moldogaziev, T. (2013). Employee Empowerment, Employee Attitudes, and Performance: Testing a Causal Model, Public Administration Review, the American Society for Public Administration, Vol. 73, Iss. 3, pp. 490–506. https://doi.org/10.1111/puar.12049
- Formánková, L. & Křížková, A. (2015). Flexibility trap–the effects of ﬂexible working on the position of female professionals and managers with in a corporate environment, Gender in Management: An International Journal, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, Vol.30, No.3, pp. 225-238. https://doi.org/10.1108/GM-03-2014-0027
- Foster-fishman, P. G. (1995). The Inserted pyramid: how a well-meaning attempt to initiate employee empowerment ran afoul of the culture of a public Bureaucracy Academy of management Journal Best papers’ Proceedings, pp. 364-372. https://doi.org/10.5465/ambpp.1995.17536650
- Fujimoto, Y., Rentschler, R., Le, H., Edwards, D. and Härtel, C.E.J. (2014). “Lessons learned from community organizations: inclusion of people with disabilities and others”, British Journal of Management, Vol. 25 No. 3, pp. 518-537. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.12034
- Gilbert, S., Laschinger, H.K.S & Leiter, M. (2010). The mediating effect of burnout on the relationship between structural empowerment and organizational citizenship behaviours, Journal of Nursing Management, vol.18, pp. 339-348. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2010.01074.x
- Hendar, H., Ferdinand, A.T. and Nurhayati, T. (2017), “Introducing the religio-centric positional advantage to Indonesian small businesses”, Management & Marketing. Challenges for the Knowledge Society, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 78-102, https://www.degruyter.com/downloadpdf/j/mmcks.2017.12.issue-1/mmcks-2017-0006/mmcks-2017-0006.pdf
- Herzberg, F. (1968). One more time: How do you motivate employees? Harvard Business Review, Vol.46, No. 1, pp. 53-62. https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/33572556/herzbergmotivation.pdf?response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DHBR_01JAN68.pdf&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA 256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A%2F20190722%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request &X-Amz–Date=20190722T115533Z&X-Amz-Expires=3600&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature =9364292d829ed37 ebfcb410b460cfa3297a42228944 3994ccdf024af81b 2a8de
- Homans, C. G. (1958). Social Behavioras Exchange, American Journal of Sociology, Vol.62, pp.597-606. https://doi.org/10.1086/222355
- Honold, C. (1997). a Review of the Literature on Employee Empowerment, Journal of Empowerment in Organizations, Vol. 5, No.4, pp.2020-212. https://doi.org/10.1108/14634449710195471
- Kanter, R. M. (1979), Power failure in Management Circuits. Harvard Business Review, Vol. 54, pp. 65-75, https://hbr.org/1979/07/power-failure-in-management-circuits
- Kelley, S. W. (1993). Discretion and the Service employees, Journal of Retailing, Vol.69, pp. 104-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(05)80005-3
- Klein, B. & Leffler, K. (1981). The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance, Journal of Political Economics, Vol.89, No.4, pp. 615-641. https://doi.org/10.1086/260996
- Koblenz, M. (2003). Ten Best Practices of Companies That Care, Employment Relations Today, pp.1-7. http://companies-that-care.org/files/ctc_news_article.pdf
- Lawler, E. E., III, S. A. Mohrman, G. E. Ledford Jr. (1992), Strategies for High Performance Organizations. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA
- Le, H., Polonsky, M. & Arambewela, R. (2014). “Social inclusion through cultural engagement among ethnic communities”, Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, Vol. 24 No. 4, pp. 375-400. https://doi.org/10.1080/19368623.2014.911714
- Lee, M. & Koh, J. (2010). Is empowerment really a new concept, The International Journal of Human resource management, Vol. 12, No. 14, pp. 684-695. https://doi.org/10.1080/713769649
- Liedtka J. M (1996), Feminist Morality and Competitive Reality: A Role for an ethic of Care? Business Ethics Quarterly, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 197-200. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3857622
- Luthans, F., Avolio, B. J., Avey, J. B., & Norman, S. M., (2007). Positive Psychological Capital: Measurement and Relationship With performance and satisfaction, Vol.60, No.3. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x
- Maslow A. H. (1954), Motivation and Personality, New York: Harper and Bros
- McClelland, D. C. (1975). Power: The inner experience. New York: Irvington Press
- McGuire, J., Sundgren, A. & Schneeweis, T. (1988). Corporate Social Responsibility and Firm Financial Performance, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 845-872. https://doi.org/10.5465/256342
- Menon, S, T. (2001). employee empowerment: An integrative psychological approach, Journal of Applied Psychology: An International review, Vol. 50, No.1, pp.153-180. https://doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00052
- Mor Barak, M. E. (2000). The Inclusive workplace: An Ecosystem Approach to diversity Management, Social work Journal, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 339-353. https://doi.org/10.1093/sw/45.4.339
- Pfeffer, J. (1981), Power in Organizations, Marshfield, MA: Pitman
- Quinn, J., Mintzberg, H. & James, R. (1987). The Strategy Process, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, Prentice-Hall
- Roberson, Q.M. (2006), “Disentangling the meanings of diversity and inclusion in organizations”,
- Group & Organization Management, Vol. 31 No. 2, pp. 212-236. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F1059601104273064
- Rousseau, D. M., Manning, J., & Denyer, D. (2008). Evidence in Management and Organizational Science: Assembling the Field's Full Weight of Scientific Knowledge Through Syntheses. SSRN eLibrary.Retrieved from http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1309606
- Rothstein, L., R. (1995), The Empowerment effort that came undone, The Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol.12, No. 4, pp.347-348, https://www.infona.pl/resource/bwmeta1.element.elsevier-01d19131-286e-3c22-ab5d-e39829f5d192
- Sahoo, B C., Sia S K., Sahu, N., & Appu, A V (2015). Psychological capital and Work attitudes: a conceptual analysis, Journal of Organization & Human Behaviour, Volume 4 Issue 2 & 3, pp. 11-22. https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/39549686/Psychological_Capital-Conceptual_pa per.pdf? response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DPSYCHOLOGICAL_CAPITAL_AND_WORK _ATT ITUDE.pdf&X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A %2F20190722%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20190722T130911Z&X-Amz-Expires= 360 0&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=2cb52e18538522ad6ba2b333470103d0606a80b8e9df2 dd8d 676ce0af6aace49
- Sethi S. P. (1982), Corporate Political Activism, management Review, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 32-42. https://doi.org/10.2307%2F41164966
- Settoon, R P., Bennett, N. & Liden, R C. (1996), Social Exchange in Organizations: Perceived Organizational Support, Leader-Member Exchange, and Employee Reciprocity, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 81, No. 3,219-227. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4e2f/7400a73bb375bbc2f72702ba181460350aa2.pdf
- Shore, L.M., Randel, A.E., Chung, B.G., Dean, M.A., Ehrhart, K.H. and Singh, G. (2011), “Inclusion and diversity in work groups: a review and model for future research”, Journal of Management, Vol. 37 No. 4, pp. 1262-1289. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0149206310385943
- Sparks, B A., Bradley, G L., & Callan, V J. (1997). The Impact of Staff Empowerment and Communication Style on Customer Evaluations: The Special Case of Service Failure, Psychology & Marketing (1986-1998), ABI/INFORM Collection John Wiley & Sons Inc, Vol. 14, No. 5; 475-493 pg. 475. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6793(199708)14:5%3C475::AID-MAR3%3E3.0.CO;2-5
- Spreitzer, G.M. (1996). Social Characteristics of Psychological empowerment, the academy of Management Journal, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 483-504. https://doi.org/10.5465/256789
- Thomas, K. W. & Velthoiuse B. A. (1990), Cognitive elements of empowerment: An “interpretative” Model of intrinsic task motivation, Academy of Management Review, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 666-681. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1990.4310926
- Triandis, et al. (1988). Individualism and Collectivism: Cross-Cultural Perspectives and Self-Ingroup Relationship, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 323-338. https://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Vogt, F.J., & Murrell, L.K. (1990). Empowerment in organizations: how to spark exceptional performance. USA: University Associates, Inc.
- White, R. W. (1959). Motivation reconsidered. Psychological Review, Vol. 66, pp.297–333, https://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/h0040934
- Wren, D. A. & Bedeian A G. (2009). The Evolution of Management Thought, Sixth edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Zafirovski, M. (2005). Social exchange theory under scrutiny: A positive critique of its economic-behaviourist formulations, electronic journal of sociology, ISSN: 1198 3655. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.454.7467&rep=rep1&type=pdf