Purpose of the study: The study examines the relationship between the quality of governance and level of development in the Bodoland Territorial Area District (BTAD) of Assam in India. It also assesses which dimensions of governance influence the level of development.
Methodology: The study is based on the data collected from a field survey of 400 households in both rural and urban areas of BTAD. Important dimensions pertaining to measuring the quality of governance is a broad manifestation in several institutions such as Political, Legal and Judicial, Administration and Public service delivery, and Economic and Social. Similarly, we measure development in terms of economic, social and empowerment dimensions. The study uses statistical techniques of Correlation and CHAID analysis.
Main findings: The study finds that the quality of governance is critical to development. Amongst other factors, efficient system and management of political institutions and effective administration and public service delivery is the key to enhancement of economic development.
Social Implications: The study depicts disparity with respect to social and economic space; and suggests inclusive participation in political and fine-tuning in the front of administration and delivery of public services.
Originality/Novelty of the study: The study brings out the dynamics of deficit of governance and its impact on economic development at the level of the sub-national state. It further confirms and substantially contributes to the literature on development – governance nexus.
- Banerjee, A., & Lakshmi, I. (2005). History, Institutions, and Economic Performance: The Legacy of Colonial Land Tenure Systems in India. American Economic Review, 95(4), 1190-1213. https://doi.org/10.1257/0002828054825574
- Basu, S. R. (2002). Does Governance Matter? Some Evidence from Indian States. Paper presented at VII Spring Meeting of Young Economists Paris, France, April 2. Retrieved from https://econwpa.ub.uni-muenchen.de/econ-wp/dev/papers/0509/0509008.pdf
- Besley, T., & Persson, T. (2011). Pillars of Prosperity. Princeton: Princeton University Press. https://doi.org/10.23943/princeton/9780691152684.001.0001
- Blaydes, L. & Mark, A. K. (2011). Counting Calories: Democracy and Distribution in the Developing World. .International Studies Quarterly, 55(4), 887-908. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2478.2011.00692.x
- Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) Accord (2003). Retrieved from http://cdpsindia.org/btc_accord.asp
- Charmes, J., & Saskia, W. (2003). Measuring Women's Empowerment: An Assessment of the Gender-related Development Index and the Gender Empowerment Measure. Journal of Human Development, 4(3), 419-435. https://doi.org/10.1080/1464988032000125773
- Cheung, C., & Kwan-kwok, L. (2007). Enhancing Life Satisfaction by Government Accountability in China. Social indicators research, 82(3), 411-432. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-006-9043-9
- Court, J. (2003). Assessing and Analysing Governance in India: Evidence from a New
- Survey. World Governance Survey, July. Retrieved from http://archive.unu.edu/p&g/wga/publicatio ns/governance_in_India.
- D'Ambrosio, C., Joachim R. F., & Markus, J. (2009). Satisfaction with Life and Economic Well-being: Evidence from Germany. SchmollersJahrbuch, 129(2) 283-295. https://doi.org/10.3790/schm.129.2.283
- Department of Administrative Reforms, Public Grievances & Pensions (D.A.R.P.P) (2009). State of Governance: A Framework of Assessment. Government of India, New Delhi. Retrieved from https://darpg.gov.in/sites/default/files/sogr_framework.pdf
- Diener, E., & Eunkook, S. (1997). Measuring Quality of Life: Economic, Social, and Subjective Indicators. Social Indicators Research, 40(1-2), 189-216. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006859511756
- Fereidouni, G. H., Youhanna, N., & Reza, E. A. (2013). Do Governance Factors Matter for Happiness in the MENA Region?.International Journal of Social Economics, 40(12), 1028-1040. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSE-11-2012-0208
- Gasparini, L., Walter, S. E., Mariana, M., & Sergio, O. (2008). Income, Deprivation, and Perceptions in Latin America and the Caribbean: New evidence from the Gallup World Poll.Inter-American Development Bank. Retrieved fromhttps://publications.iadb.org/en/publication/10696/income-deprivation-and-perceptions-latin-america-and-caribbean-new-evidence
- Grindle, M. S. (2004). Good enough Governance: Poverty Reduction and Reform in Developing Countries. Governance, 17(4), 525-548. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0952-1895.2004.00256.x
- Headey, B., & Mark, W. (2004). The Effects of Wealth and Income on Subjective Well‐being and Ill‐being,” IZA Discussion Papers, No. 1032, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA): Bonn. Retrieved from http://ftp.iza.org/dp1032.pdf
- Helliwell, J. F., Haifang, H., Shawn, G., and Shun, W. (2014). Good Governance and National Well-being. OECD Working Paperson Public Governance, No. 25: OECD Publishing. Retrieved from https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/governance/good-governance-and-national-well-being_5jxv9f651hvj-en
- Heukamp, F. H., & Miguel, A. A. (2011). Does Country Matter for Subjective Well-being?.Social Indicators Research, 100(1), 155-170. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-010-9610-y
- IBM SPSS (2011). IBM SPSS Statistics for Windows, Version 20.0.
- Kabeer, N. (1999). Resources, Agency, Achievements: Reflections on the Measurement of Women's Empowerment. Development and Change, 30(3) 435-464. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-7660.00125
- Khan, M. (2008). Governance and Development: the Perspective of Growth-Enhancing Governance. GRIPS Development Forum/National Graduate Institute for Policy Studie. Retrieved from https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/9853/1/GRIPS.pdf
- Kim, S., & Donggeun, K. (2012). Does Government make People Happy?: Exploring New Research Directions for Government’s Rroles in Happiness. Journal of Happiness Studies, 13(5), 875-899. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-011-9296-0
- Kishor, S., & Kamla, G. (2004). Women's Empowerment in India and its States: Evidence from the NFHS. Economic and Political weekly, 39(7), 694-712.
- Kurtz, M. J., & Andrew, S. (2007). Growth and Governance: Models, Measures, and Mechanisms. The Journal of Politics, 69(2), 538-554. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2508.2007.00549.x
- Kuypers, S. (2018). Two Sides of the Same Coin? An Investigation into the Joint Distribution of Income and Wealth and its Applications to the Analysis of Poverty, Inequality and Redistribution. PhD diss., University of Antwerp. Retrieved from https://repository.uantwerpen.be/docman/irua/871722/155611.pdf
- Lora, E., Juan, C. C. & María, V. R. (2008). Satisfaction beyond Income. In Eduardo, L. (Ed.), Beyond Facts: Understanding Quality of Life. Washington, DC: Inter-American Development Bank
- Lou, D. (2009). Marching Toward a Harmonious Society: Happiness, Regime Satisfaction, and Government Performance in Contemporary Urban China. Asian Politics & Policy, 1(3), 508-525. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1943-0787.2009.01137.x
- Mahmud, S., & Tasneem, S. (2014). Measuring ‘Empowerment’ using Quantitative Household Survey Data. Women's Studies International Forum,45, 90-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wsif.2013.11.009
- Mathew, C.K., Dutta, U., Narayanan, A. & Jalodia, S. (2017). Public Affairs Index: Governance in the States of India. Bangalore: Public Affairs Center.
- Mathur, K. (2015). From Government to Governance: A Brief Survey of the Indian Experience. New Delhi: National Book Trust, India.
- Mauro, P. (1995). Corruption and Growth. The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 110(3), 681-712. https://doi.org/10.2307/2946696
- Milanović, M., & Milan, S. (2016). CHAID Decision Tree: Methodological Frame and Application. Economic Themes, 54(4), 563-586. https://doi.org/10.1515/ethemes-2016-0029
- Ministry of Home Affairs (2011). Census (2011). Government of India, New Delhi.
- Møller, V., & Amanda, J. (1997). Perceptions of Service Delivery and Happiness. Development Southern Africa,14(2), 169-184. https://doi.org/10.1080/03768359708439958
- Mundle, S., Pinaki, C., Samik, C., &Satadru, S. (2016). Governance Performance of Indian States. Economic and Political Weekly, 51(36), 55-64.
- Oster, E. (2009). Does Increased Access Increase Equality? Gender and Child Health Investments in India. Journal of Development Economics, 89(1), 62-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2008.07.003
- Ott, J. C. (2011). Government and Happiness in 130 Nations: Good Governance Fosters Higher Level and More Equality of Happiness. Social Indicators Research,102(1), 3-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-010-9719-z
- Rajkumar, A. S., & Vinaya, S. (2008). Public Spending and Outcomes: Does Governance Matter?.Journal of Development Economics, 86(1), 96-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdeveco.2007.08.003
- Rodríguez-Pose, A., &Kristin,a M. (2011). Can Policy Make Us Happier? Individual Characteristics, Socio-economic Factors and Life Satisfaction in Central and Eastern Europe. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 5(1), 77-96. https://doi.org/10.1093/cjres/rsr038
- Rodrik, D., Arvind, S., & Francesco, T. (2004). Institutions Rule: the Primacy of Institutions over Geography and Integration in Economic Development. Journal of Economic Growth, 9(2), 131-165. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:JOEG.0000031425.72248.85
- Sen, A. (2000). Social Exclusion: Concept, Application, and Scrutiny. Manila: Asian Development Bank.
- Sen, A. (1985). Commodities and Capabilities. Amsterdam: North Holland
- Sen, A. (1988). The Concept of Development. In H. Chenery and T.N. Srinivasan (Ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers, pp. 9-26.
- Shariff, A. (2017). District Development and Diversity Index: A Methodology That Promotes Evaluation and Assessment of Development and Welfare Programmes in India. Journal of Development Policy and Practice, 2(1), 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1177/2455133316676415
- Tavits, M. (2008). Representation, Corruption, and Subjective Well-being. Comparative Political Studies,41(12), 1607-1630. https://doi.org/10.1177/0010414007308537
- UNDP (1997). Governance and Sustainable Human Development. United Nations Development Programme, New York.
- Virmani, A., Sanghamitra, S., &Suchitra, T. (2006). Governance in the Provision of Public Goods in South Asia. Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations: New Delhi. Retrieved from http://www.sanei-network.net/uploads/research/governance-in-the-provision-of-public-goods-in-south-asia1464328569.pdf
- World Bank (1992). Governance and Development. World Bank: Washington DC. https://doi.org/10.1596/0-8213-2094-7