Main Article Content
education, foreign language, toponymical dictionaries, teaching, learning, the names of the places, language activities
Purpose of the study: This article is about the experience of using toponymical dictionaries in the process of developing communicative skills of the students at undergraduate level.
Methodology: The authors use toponymical dictionaries of the native language and of the learning foreign language as valuable sources in their work. According to our experience, the toponymical dictionaries help to motivate students for self-study, to find interesting information about their native places where they were born and grew up and about the English-speaking countries. Students research the names of the places with great interest.
Results: The authors analyzed the educational value of toponymical dictionaries. In the article, it is described the research of some successful methods and techniques of using toponymical dictionaries in teaching foreign language. It was researched pedagogical principals of using toponymical dictionaries in teaching and learning process; what results are possible to achieve and what exercises can be used working with toponymical dictionaries in teaching foreign language.
Applications of this study: This research can be used for the universities, teachers, and students.
Novelty/Originality of this study: In this research, the model of the Educational Value of Toponymical Dictionaries in Teaching Foreign Language is presented in a comprehensive and complete manner.
2. Bakhshandeh, M., Sedrposhan, N., & Zarei, H. (2015). The Effectiveness of Cognitive-Behavioral Group Counseling to Reduce Anxiety, Marriage; Single People have to be Married in Esfahan City (2013-2014). UCT Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities Research, 3(1), 10-13.
3. Belenkaya, V.D. (1974) Modern tendencies in the naming of the settlements/ Toponymy of the Central Part of Russia., M., Mysl, pp.130-137
4. Beletsky, A.A. (1972) Lexicology and theory of linguistics. (Onomastics) Kiev: KSU, 209 p.
5. Blokh, M.Ya. & Lebedeva,(2005), English textbook, AST, Astrel, 238p
6. Bukatov V.M., (2003) Pedagogical secrets of didactical games. 2-nd ed. Moscow, 152 p
7. Dewey, J., & McDermott, J. J. (1973). The Philosophy of John Dewey.
8. Gali, G. F., Fakhrutdinova, A. V., & Grigorieva, L. L. (2017). The teachers’ strategies of identifying and development of gifted students in foreign countries. Modern Journal of Language Teaching Methods, 7(9), 84-90. https://doi.org/10.21125/edulearn.2017.0874
9. Günther, K-H. (1994) ‘Friedrich Adolph Wilhelm Diesterweg’ in Z. Morsy (ed.) Thinkers on Education, Paris: UNESCO.
10. Kadmon, N. (2004). Toponymy and geopolitics: The political use—and misuse—of geographical names. The Cartographic Journal, 41(2), 85-87. https://doi.org/10.1179/000870404X12897
11. Kenklies, K. (2012). "Educational theory as topological rhetoric. The concepts of pedagogy of Johann Friedrich Herbart and Friedrich Schleiermacher". Studies in Philosophy and Education. 31: 265–273. doi:10.1007/s11217-012-9287-6
12. Khuziakhmetov, A. N, Valeev, A. A, & Kralova, Z. (2018). The most important aspects of early foreign-language education in primary schools. Xlinguae, 11(2), 370-382. https://doi.org/10.18355/XL.2018.11.02.30
13. Kondrateva, I. G., & Fakhrutdinova, A. V. (2016). Modeling Teacher's Multicultural Identity through Studying a Foreign Language. The European Proceedinggs of Social and Behavioural Sciences, 245-250. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2016.07.39
14. Kurmanali, A., Suiyerkul, B., Aitmukhametova, K., Turumbetova, Z., & Smanova, B. (2018). Analysis of the proverbs related to the lexemes" tongue/language". Opción, 34(85-2), 97-115.
15. Lobão, J., & Pereira, C. (2016). Looking for Psychological Barriers in nine European Stock Market Indices. Dutch Journal of Finance and Management, 1(1), 39. https://doi.org/10.20897/lectito.201639
16. Machado, A. D. B., Souza, M. J., & Catapan, A. H. (2019). Systematic Review: Intersection between Communication and Knowledge. Journal of Information Systems Engineering & Management, 4(1). https://doi.org/10.29333/jisem/5741
17. Martiana, A., M., &., S. (2018). MOTIVATION AND OBSTACLES FACED BY WOMEN HALAL FASHION ENTREPRENEURS AND ROLE OF THE BUSINESS ON WOMEN’S ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENTIN YOGYAKARTA INDONESIA. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 6(2), 106-110. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2018.6213
18. Mills, A.D. (2011) A Dictionary of British Place Names. Oxford University Press. 576 p. https://global.oup.com/academic/product/a-dictionary-of-british-place-names-9780199609086?cc=ru&lang=en&
19. Murzaev, E. M. (1984). Dictionary of folk geographical terms. Moskva: Thought.
20. Muscat, O. (2011). The English transliteration of place names in Oman. Journal of Academic and Applied Studies, 1(3), 1-27.
21. Rose-Redwood, Reuben; et al. (2009). Geographies of toponymic inscriptions: new directions in critical place-name studies” (PDF). Progress in Human Geography: 460 p. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309132509351042
22. Sagitova, R. R., & Khasanova, N. F. (2016). THE FORMATION OF SELF-EDUCATIONAL COMPETENCE OF UNIVERSITY STUDENTS IN THE PROCESS OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE LEARNING. Turkish Online Journal of Design Art and Communication, 6, 2525-2529. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2016.07.59
23. Tomakhin, G.D. (1984) Toponyms as the realities of language and culture (on the material of US geographic names) GD Tomakhin. Questions of linguistics, 4, 84–90.
24. Ushinsky, K. D. (1990). Pedagogical works. In 6 TT 5. Moscow: Education.
25. Varlamova, E. V., Tulusina, E. A., Zaripova, Z. M., & Gataullina, V. L. (2016). Lexical, Semantic and Culturological Approaches to the Teaching of a Second Language. Analele Universității din Craiova. Seria Științe Filologice. Lingvistică.
26. Vasilieva, S. P. (2003) Problems of studying regional toponymy. Problems of Regional Linguistics: a collection of scientific papers. - Krasnoyarsk: RIO KGPU, pp. 185 - 206.
27. Vinnikova, M. N., Fakhrutdinova, A. V., Dulmukhametova, G. F., & Shamsutdinova, D. V. (2017). Modern use of the pedagogical technology" team-teaching" in the training of teacher candidates. QUID: Investigación, Ciencia y Tecnología, (1), 767-772.
28. Zare, Z. (2015). The benefits of e-business adoption: an empirical study of Iranian SMEs. UCT Journal of Management and Accounting Studies, 3(1), 6-11.