Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. HSSR is a SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
THE EFFECT OF JOB SATISFACTION AND ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITMENT ON NURSES’ PERFORMANCE
Corresponding Author(s) : Alaa S. Jameel
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 6 (2019): November
The purpose: The purpose of this study was to find the impact of organizational commitment and Job satisfaction on nurses’ job performance.
Methodology: The study conducted at the hospital of Ibn al-Athir and employed a quantitative method by structured questionnaires to collect the data. 200 questionnaires were distributed randomly and only 108 valid surveys likewise; the valid questionnaires have been analyzed by SPSS to exam the impact of organizational commitment and job satisfaction on job performance.
Findings: the results indicated there is a positive and significant impact of Job satisfaction on nurses' performance. However, the three components of organizational commitment, Affective Commitment, Continuance Commitment, and Normative Commitment have a positive and significant impact on nurse's performance. The findings of this research indicate that employees ' job satisfaction and organizational commitment components play a critical role in nurses' performance.
Implications: of this study to enrich the body of literature in the context of Iraq, which is suffering from a lack of studies related to nurses' performance.
Novelty: the study provided useful and valuable recommendations to hospitals to increase nurse performance in the context of Iraq.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Ahmad, M.A., & Jameel, A. S. (2018). Factors Affecting on Job Satisfaction among Academic Staff. Polytechnic Journal, 8(2), 119–128. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.25156/ptj.2018.8.2.161 DOI: https://doi.org/10.25156/ptj.2018.8.2.161
- Ahmad, A. R., Adi, M. N. M., Md Noor, H., Rahman, A. G. A., & Yushuang, T. (2013). The influence of leadership style on job satisfaction among nurses. Asian Social Science, 9(9), 172–178. https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v9n9p172 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5539/ass.v9n9p172
- Akdere, M. (2009). A multi-level examination of quality-focused human resource practices and firm performance: Evidence from the US healthcare industry. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 20(9), 1945–1964. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190903142399 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190903142399
- Al-Ahmadi, H. (2009). Factors affecting performance of hospital nurses in Riyadh Region, Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance, 22(1), 40–54. https://doi.org/10.1108/09526860910927943 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09526860910927943
- Al-Bayan Center for Planning and Studies. (2018). Restoring the Iraqi Healthcare Sector: The British National Health Service as a Model.
- Allen, N. J., & Meyer, J. P. (2000). Construct Validation in Organizational Behavior Research: The Case of Organizational Commitment. Problems and Solutions in Human Assessment, 285–314. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-4397-8_13 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-4397-8_13
- Balogh-Robinson, L. (2012). The crisis in leadership in the context of the nursing shortage and the increasing prevalence of nursing unions. Journal of Healthcare Leadership, 127. https://doi.org/10.2147/jhl.s34024 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2147/JHL.S34024
- Blaauw, D., Ditlopo, P., Maseko, F., Chirwa, M., Mwisongo, A., Bidwell, P.,…Normand, C. (2013). Comparing the job satisfaction and intention to leave of different categories of health workers in Tanzania, Malawi, and South Africa. Global Health Action, 6, 19287.https://doi.org/10.3402/gha.v6i0.19287 DOI: https://doi.org/10.3402/gha.v6i0.19287
- Cascio, W. F. (2006). Managing Human Resources: Productivity, Quality of Work Life, Profits. New York: McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Chin, W. W. (1998). The partial least squares approach to structural equation modelling. In Marcoulides G. A. (Ed.). Modern Methods for Business Research, 295(2), 295–336.
- Crow, M. M., Lee, C. B., & Joo, J. J. (2012). Organizational justice and organizational commitment among South Korean police officers: An investigation of job satisfaction as a mediator. Policing, 35(2), 402–423. https://doi.org/10.1108/13639511211230156 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/13639511211230156
- Dinc, M. S., Kuzey, C., & Steta, N. (2018). Nurses’ job satisfaction as a mediator of the relationship between organizational commitment components and job performance. Journal of Workplace Behavioral Health, 1–21. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/15555240.2018.1464930
- Garfield, R., Dresden, E., & Boyle, J. S. (2003). Health care in Iraq. Nursing outlook, 51(4), 171-177. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-6554(03)00134-9
- Garfield, R., & McCarthy, C. F. (2005). Nursing and nursing education in Iraq: challenges and opportunities. International nursing review, 52(3), 180-185. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2005.00428.x
- Gunapalan, S., & Ekanayake, E. M. R. D. (2019). Factors Affecting on Job Performance of Employees in Apparel Industry. Proceedings of 2019 8th International Conference on Industrial Technology and Management, ICITM 2019, 105–109. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICITM.2019.8710741 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICITM.2019.8710741
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., & Anderson, R. E. (2009). Multivariate data analysis: A global perspective. In Multivariate Data Analysis: A Global Perspective. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2011.02.019 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2011.02.019
- Harter, J. K., Schmidt, F. L., & Hayes, T. L. (2002). Business-unit-level relationship between employee satisfaction, employee engagement, and business outcomes: A meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(2), 268–279. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.2.268 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.2.268
- Hazriyanto, & Ibrahim, B. (2019). The factor analysis of organizational commitment, job satisfaction and performance among lecturers in Batam. Journal of Technical Education and Training, 11(1), 151–158. https://doi.org/10.30880/jtet.2019.11.01.19
- Hoque, K. (1999). Human resource management and performance in the UK hotel industry. British Journal of Industrial Relations, 37(3), 419–443. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8543.00135 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8543.00135
- Hudspeth, R. (2013). Staffing healthy workplaces: some global nursing shortage issues. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 37(4), 374–376. https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0b013e3182a2fa65 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0b013e3182a2fa65
- Huselid, M. A., & Becker, B. E. (1996). Methodological issues in cross-sectional and panel estimates of the human resource-firm performance link. Industrial Relations, 35(3), 400–422. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-232X.1996.tb00413.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-232X.1996.tb00413.x
- Islam, R., Othman, M. F., Osman, N., & Raihan, M. A. (2019). Impact of Global Leadership Behaviors on Performance of Multinational Companies. Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews, 7(3), 661–670. https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2019.7397 DOI: https://doi.org/10.18510/hssr.2019.7397
- Irfad. (2014). Healthcare in Iraq. Retrieved from http://www.irfad.org/healthcare-in-iraq/
- Jackofsky, E. F. (1984). Linked references are available on JSTOR for this article : Occupational embeddedness and job performance. The Academy of Management Review, 9(1), 74–83. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.580 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/job.580
- Jameel, A. S., & Ahmed, A. R. (2019)a. Leadership and Performance of Academic Staff in Developing Countries. In Proceedings of the 33rd International Business Information Management Association: 10-11 April 2019, Granada, Spain, 6101–6106. Granada: IBIMA.
- Jameel, A. S., & Ahmed, A. R. (2019)b. The effect of Transformational Leadership on Job Satisfaction among Academic Staff. In Proceedings of the 34th International Business Information Management Association: 13-14 November 2019, Madrid, Spain; IBIMA.
- Jameel, A. S. (2018)a. Issues Facing Citizens In Iraq Towards Adoption Of E-Government. Al-Kitab Journal for Human Sciences (1),(1)
- Jameel, A.S. (2018)b. Challenges Facing Students Toward ICT Library Adoption. In International Conference on Accounting, Business, Economics and Politics,(ICABEP 2018).
- Jin, J. (2016). The role of assessment centers in job satisfaction and organizational commitment : a case of the Korean government. 5192(July), 0–21. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2016.1203348 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2016.1203348
- Karatepe, O. M., & Uludag, O. (2007). Conflict, exhaustion, and motivation: A study of frontline employees in Northern Cyprus hotels. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 26(3), 645–665. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2006.05.006 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2006.05.006
- Khalid, J., Khaleel, M., Ali, A. J., & Islam, M. S. (2018). Multiple dimensions of emotional intelligence and their impacts on organizational commitment and job performance. International Journal of Ethics and Systems, 34(2), 221–232. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOES-07-2017-0096 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOES-07-2017-0096
- Khan, M. R., Ziauddin, Jam, F. A., & Ramay, M. I. (2010). The impacts of organizational com- mitment on employee job performance. European Journal of Social Sciences, 15,292–298.
- Kim, S. S., Shin, D., Vough, H. C., Hewlin, P. F., & Vandenberghe, C. (2018). How do callings relate to job performance? The role of organizational commitment and ideological contract fulfillment. Human Relations, 71(10), 1319–1347. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726717743310 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726717743310
- Kirkman, B. L., & Shapiro, D. L. (2001). The impact of cultural values on job satisfaction and organizational commitment in self-managing work teams: The mediating role of employee resistance. Academy of Management Journal, 44(3), 557–569. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069370 DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/3069370
- Kline, R. (2010). Principles and practice of structural equation modeling. In Structural Equation Modeling. https://doi.org/10.1038/156278a0 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/156278a0
- Kinicki, A., & Fugate, M. (2012). Organizational behavior. New York, NY: McGraw Hill.
- Kock, N., & Moqbel, M. (2019). Social Networking Site Use, Positive Emotions, and Job Performance. Journal of Computer Information Systems, 1–11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/08874417.2019.1571457
- Lambert, E. G., Hogan, N. L., & Griffin, M. L. (2007). The impact of distributive and procedural justice on correctional staff job stress, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment. Journal of Criminal Justice, 35(6), 644–656. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrimjus.2007.09.001 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrimjus.2007.09.001
- Lu, H., Barriball, K. L., Zhang, X., & While, A. E. (2012). Job satisfaction among hospital nurses revisited: A systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 49(8), 1017–1038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.11.009 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.11.009
- MacLean, L., Hassmiller, S., Shaffer, F., Rohrbaugh, K., Collier, T., & Fairman, J. (2014). Scale, Causes, and Implications of the Primary Care Nursing Shortage. Annual Review of Public Health, 35(1), 443–457. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182508 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-032013-182508
- McCausland, W. D., Pouliakas, K., & Theodossiou, I. (2005). Some are Punished and Some are Rewarded: A Study of the Impact of Performance Pay on Job Satisfaction By. International Journal of Manpower, 26(78), 636 – 65. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/01437720510628112
- McMullin, J. A., & Cooke, M. (2004). Labor Force Ageing and Skill Shortages in Canada and Ontario. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Canadian Policy Research Networks Inc.
- McHugh, M. D., Kutney-Lee, A., Cimiotti, J. P., Sloane, D. M., & Aiken, L. H. (2011). Nurses’ widespread job dissatisfaction, burnout, and frustration with health benefits signal problems for patient care. Health Affairs, 30, 202–210.https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2010.0100 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2010.0100
- Meyer, J. P., & Allen, N. J. (1991). A three-component conceptualization of organizational commitment. Human Resource Management Review, 1(1), 61–89. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- Meyer, J. P., & Allen, N. J. (1997). Commitment in the workplace. Harvard Business Review. https://doi.org/10.1108/01409170810913051 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/01409170810913051
- Meyer, J. P., Stanley, D. J., Herscovitch, L., & Topolnytsky, L. (2002). Affective , Continuance , and Normative Commitment to the Organization : A Meta-analysis of Antecedents , Correlates , and Consequences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 61(1), 20–52. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1842 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1842
- Moon, T. W., Hur, W. M., Ko, S. H., Kim, J. W., & Yoon, S. W. (2014). Bridging corporate social responsibility and compassion at work: Relations to organizational justice and affective organizational commitment. Career Development International, 19(1), 49–72. https://doi.org/10.1108/CDI-05-2013-0060 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/CDI-05-2013-0060
- Musabah, S., Al, B., Mohamad, N. A., & Affairs, R. C. (2017). The Influence of Organizational Commitment on Omani Public Employees’ Work Performance. International Review of Management and Marketing, 7(2), 151–160.
- Musah, M. B., Ali, H. M., Vazhathodi al-Hudawi, S. H., Tahir, L. M., Daud, K. B., Said, H. Bin, & Kamil, N. M. (2016). Organisational climate as a predictor of workforce performance in the Malaysian higher education institutions. Quality Assurance in Education, 24(3), 416–438. https://doi.org/10.1108/QAE-10-2014-0048 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/QAE-10-2014-0048
- Nabirye, R. C., Brown, K. C., Pryor, E. R., & Maples, E. H. (2011). Occupational stress, job satisfaction and job performance among hospital nurses in Kampala, Uganda. Journal of Nursing Management, 19(6), 760–768. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01240.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01240.x
- Nassar, M. A. (2018). Human resource management practices and organizational commitment in four- and five-star hotels in Egypt. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism, 17(1), 1–21. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332845.2017.1328258 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/15332845.2017.1328258
- Newstrom, J. W. (2010). Organizational behavior. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Riketta, M. (2002). Attitudinal organizational commitment and job performance: A meta-analysis. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 23(3), 257–266. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.141 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/job.141
- Robbins, S. P., & Judge, T. A. (2009). Organizational behavior. New York, NY: Pearson.
- Santos, A. S., Reis Neto, M. T., & Verwaal, E. (2018). Does cultural capital matter for individual job performance? A large-scale survey of the impact of cultural, social and psychological capital on individual job performance in Brazil. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 67(8), 1352–1370. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPPM-05-2017-0110
- Schermerhorn, J. R. (1989). Management for productivity (3rd ed.). New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Scholl, R. W. (1981). Differentiating Organizational Commitment From Expectancy as a Motivating Force. Academy of Management Review, 6(4), 589–599. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1981.4285698 DOI: https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1981.4285698
- Schneider, B. (1985). Organizational behavior. Annual Review of Psychology, 36, 573–611. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.36.020185.003041
- Siu, O. L. (2002). Predictors of job satisfaction and absenteeism in two samples of Hong Kong nurses. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 40, 218–229.. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2648.2002.02364.x DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2002.02364.x
- Simanjuntak, P. J. (2011). Performance Management & Evaluation. Jakarta: Faculty of Economics and University of Indonesia.
- Smith, C. A., Kendall, L. M., & Hulin, C. L. (1969). The Measurement of Satisfaction in Work and Retirement: A Strategy for the Study of Attitudes, Chicago: Rand McNally.
- Sungu, L. J., Weng, Q. (Derek), & Xu, X. (2019). Organizational commitment and job performance: Examining the moderating roles of occupational commitment and transformational leadership Lincoln. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 1–11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/ijsa.12256
- The Washington Post. (2015). Iraq fears a ‘brain drain’ as educated young people head to Europe. Retrieved from https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/iraq-fears-a-brain-drain-as-middle-class-young-people-head-to-europe/2015/10/05/77d26ee4-620f-11e5-8475-781cc9851652_story.html?noredirect=on
- Top, M., & Gider, O. (2013). Interaction of organizational commitment and job satisfaction of nurses and medical secretaries in Turkey. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 24(3), 667–683. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2012.680600 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2012.680600
- Viswesvaran, C., & Ones, D. S. (2000). Perspectives on Models of Job Performance. International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 8(4), 216–226. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-2389.00151 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-2389.00151
- Worsfold, P. (1999). HRM, performance, commitment and service quality in the hotel industry. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 11(7), 340–348. https://doi.org/10.1108/09596119910293240 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/09596119910293240