Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
PECULIARITIES OF TEACHING LISTENING USING AUTHENTIC ECOLOGICAL MATERIALS IN THE SENIOR SECONDARY SCHOOL
Corresponding Author(s) : Luiza R. Zakirova
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 7 No. 6 (2019): November
Purposes: This article discusses the problem of listening comprehension as an important and integral part of everyday communication. Despite its impact on the process of language learning, the listening skill was for a long time relegated to a marginal place in foreign language curricula.
Methodology: The authors describe a great educational value of authentic materials used in a foreign language classroom to motivate, develop and increase listening skills at the senior stage of teaching. They found it necessary to admit that with the advent of communicative language teaching and the focus on proficiency, the teaching of listening started to increase. Obvious attention is paid to the practical use of available Internet resources that deal with ecological problems which are acute and need the urgent solution in contemporary society.
Results: The authors made an attempt to prove that listening should be fully integrated into the foreign language curriculum and given considerable "prime time" in-class activities and homework preparation. In addition, the methodological recommendations on the organization of the development of listening skills to improve the overall process of communication are presented.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Harmer, J. (2010). How to teach English. Pearson Education Limited, 178 p.
- Kayumova, A. R., Safina, R. A., & Shestakova, N. V. (2017). A case study of Russian students translating idioms from German horoscopes. Ad Alta-journal of interdisciplinary research, 7(2), 43-46.
- Kiseleva, E. V. (2015). Methodical issues of teaching listening. in collection Foreign Language at the Russian State University for the Humanities (ed. L. Khalilova), Moscow: RSUH, 32-37.
- Kiyan, O. N. (2014). Authenticity as a methodical category in teaching a foreign language. Moscow: RGPU named after A.I. Herzen, 128 p.
- Kochkina, Z. A. (2016). Listening: what is it? Methodical mosaic, 8, 12-18.
- Kolesnikova, E. A. (2016). Teaching listening with written fixation of essential information of first-year students of a language pedagogical university (English). Abstract of dis. Candidate. Pedagogicalsciences, 21p.
- Maksimović, M., Vujović, V., & Perišić, B. (2016). Do It Yourself solution of Internet of Things Healthcare System: Measuring body parameters and environmental parameters affecting health. Journal of Information Systems Engineering & Management, 1(1), 25-39. https://doi.org/10.20897/lectito.201607
- Mansilla, P. & Riejos, A. (2008). Overview of the introduction of the European language portfolio in Europe and Spain. (translated into Russian. Language, abridged), in collection Common European competences of foreign language proficiency, Moscow: Teacher, 31-41.
- Ostroumova, O. F., Nizamieva, L. R., & Nazarova, G. I. (2014). The didactic aspect of foreign language creative teaching. Journal of language and literature, 5(3), 76-82. https://doi.org/10.7813/jll.2014/5-3/14
- Pakdel, M., & Talebbeydokhti, A. (2018). The Effect of Adjustment Announcement of Predicted Profit on Price and Trading Volume of Listed Companies in Tehran Stock Exchange. Dutch Journal of Finance and Management, 2(1), 49. https://doi.org/10.29333/djfm/5825
- Parayeva, N. B. (2012). Learning to Listen to Authentic Texts in German for Seven-Grade Secondary School Students. Author. Diss ... Ph.D., SPb, 3-8.
- Pisemskaya, E. N. (2015). Using authentic materials in teaching English with the basics of economics. Pedagogical Workshop, 3, 16-19.
- Prussakov, N. N. (2014). “Difficulties in teaching listening to a foreign-language sounding text. Foreign languages at school, 6, 7-8.
- Sadykova, A. G., Yashina, M. E., & Zakirova, L. R. (2014). Implementing Environmental Culture in the Language Learning Laboratory. English Language Teaching, 7(12), 85-93. https://doi.org/10.5539/elt.v7n12p85
- TULUSINA, E. A., SADYKOVA, A. G., & Frederic, C. (2017). Determination of National Specificity of Perceiving the Concept “Learning” in German and Russian through the Association Experiment. Astra Salvensis, (10).
- Pachler, N., Evans, M., Redondo, A., & Fisher, L. (2013). Learning to teach foreign languages in the secondary school: A companion to school experience. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203181928
- Richards, J. (2006). Comunicative language teaching today. Cambridge university press.
- Clarke, E. F. (2005). Ways of listening: An ecological approach to the perception of musical meaning. OUP USA.
- Rost, M. (2013). Teaching and researching: Listening. Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315833705
- Hu, G. (2003). English language teaching in China: Regional differences and contributing factors. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 24(4), 290-318. https://doi.org/10.1080/01434630308666503