Main Article Content
Purpose: The objective of the study is to find out the areas in which the business students lack and to analyze the reasons for such lack of knowledge.
Design/methodology/approach: For carrying out the research study, 160 students from various Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Oman studying accounting subjects were selected and a test was conducted with five identified areas of accounting – accounting concepts, application knowledge, accounting formulae, accounting methods, and decision making. After completion of the test, the results were shown, and the correct answer keys were explained. Subsequently, a questionnaire mentioning all the five areas and the difficulties faced therein were requested to be filled in by the respondents.
Findings: The results of the empirical study reveal that the students assume that they are good at accounting but they lack knowledge of application, formulae usage, and decision making.
Practical Implications: It is confirmed that the concepts, methodologies, and techniques are not difficult but proper guidance and proper education methods through real-world examples might help towards creating interest among the students to improve their way of learning.
Social Implications: The study has identified the areas where the students lack and helps the teachers to improve their methods of teaching and the students to improve their way of learning.
Originality/value: No study has investigated before the accounting learning difficulties of business major students, and this study will help accounting educators to introduce and modify their teaching strategies.
Authors retain the copyright without restrictions for their published content in this journal. IJMIER is SHERPA ROMEO Green Journal.
- Abdullah, T. A. T. (2011). What Accountancy Skills are required at College? International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(18), 193-199.
- Agustina, L., Meyliana, M., & Tin, S. T. S. (2017). Assessing accounting students’ performance in “cognitive misfit” condition. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, 11(4). https://doi.org/10.24052/JBRMR/V11IS04/AASPICMC
- Al-Aroud, S. F. (2018). The Extent of Effectiveness of Accounting Knowledge in Increasing Accounting Performance of the Jordanian Industrial Public Shareholding Companies. Accounting and Finance Research, 7(1), 58-69. https://doi.org/10.5430/afr.v7n1p58
- Al Buraiki, A., & Khan, F. R. (2018). Finance and Technology: Key Challenges Faced by Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Oman. International Journal of Management, Innovation & Entrepreneurial Research, 4(2), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.18510/ijmier.2018.421
- Al Shibli, S. S., Abushakra, A., & Khan, F. R. (2018). Perception of Academic Staff Over Their Career Due to Technology Implementation at Sohar University. International Journal of Management, Innovation & Entrepreneurial Research, 4(1), 16-24. https://doi.org/10.18510/ijmier.2018.414
- Alani, F., & Khan, F. R. (2015). Framework Development of the Social Responsibility Accounting towards Economic Units’ Evaluation. International Journal of Economics and Finance, 7(2), 253-260. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijef.v7n2p253
- Albrecht, W. S., Clark, D. C., Smith, J. M., Stocks, K. D., & Woodfield, L. W. (1994). An accounting curriculum for the next century. Issues in Accounting Education, 9(2), 401.
- Aziz, D. A., Ibrahim, M. A., Sidik, M. H. J., & Tajuddin, M. (2017). Accounting Students’ Perception And Their Intention To Become Professionally Qualified Accountants. Paper presented at the SHS Web of Conferences.
- Basu, S. (2012). How can accounting researchers become more innovative? Accounting Horizons, 26(4), 851-870. https://doi.org/10.2308/acch-10311
- Bjurklo, M. (2006). Narrative accounting for competence creation. Journal of Human Resource Costing & Accounting, 10(1), 34-47. https://doi.org/10.1108/14013380610672666
- Boldt, M. N. (2001). Assessing Students' Accounting Knowledge: A Structural Approach. Journal of Education for Business, 76(5), 262-269. https://doi.org/10.1080/08832320109599646
- Carrington, L. G. (2012). The Impact of the Principles of Accounting Experience on Student Preparation for Intermediate Accounting. American Journal of Business Education, 5(4), 473-482. https://doi.org/10.19030/ajbe.v5i4.7126
- Cerne, K., & Zenzerovi, R. (2011). Academic and professional community cooperation in function of accountants’ university education improvement: Znanstveno-Strucni Casopis. Ekonomska Istrazivanja, 24(1), 213-226.
- El Khatib, M., & Khan, F. R. (2017). Implications of Social Media Networks Technology in Interpersonal Skills and Academic Performances. International Journal of Management, Innovation & Entrepreneurial Research EISSN, 3(2), 99-110. https://doi.org/10.18510/ijmier.2017.326
- Hartmann, F. G. (2017). Accounting research: between natural science and practice. Revista Contabilidade & Finanças, 28(73), 7-10. https://doi.org/10.1590/1808-057x201790160
- Ismail, S., Jamaludin, N., Zakaria, W. Z. W., & Navi, N. M. (2017). A STUDY ON THE ACCOUNTING STUDENTS’ PERCEPTIONS TOWARDS TEACHING QUALITY AT UNIVERSITY. International Journal of Accounting, Finance and Business, 2(5), 85-98.
- Johnson, N. L., Larson, F., & DeMersseman, A. (2017). Who’s Taking the Accounting Class? Leveraging Professional Skepticism While Teaching Accounting Online. Journal of Business Case Studies (Online), 13(2), 73. https://doi.org/10.19030/jbcs.v13i2.9939
- Li, J. F. (1999). Accounting students' perceptions regarding the learning skills and knowledge in the accounting program. Journal of Accounting and Finance Research, 7(1), 80.
- Martendal, A., Uhlmann, V. O., Vieira, E. M. F., & Pfitscher, E. D. (2013). Environmental Accounting: the level of knowledge of professional accounting Florianopolis. Enfoque, 32(1), 29. https://doi.org/10.4025/enfoque.v32i1.14303
- Mohamed, E. K., & Lashine, S. H. (2003). Accounting knowledge and skills and the challenges of a global business environment. Managerial finance, 29(7), 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1108/03074350310768319
- Moser, D. V. (2012). Is accounting research stagnant? Accounting Horizons, 26(4), 845-850. https://doi.org/10.2308/acch-10312
- Novin, A. M., & Pearson, M. (1989). Non-accounting-knowledge qualifications for entry-level public accountants. The Ohio CPA Journal, 48(4), 12-17.
- O'Connell, B., Beaman, I., De Lange, P., & Smyrnios, K. (2011). An experiment to assess the learning benefits of employing accounting software in the classroom. Review of Business Information Systems (RBIS), 7(1), 49-58. https://doi.org/10.19030/rbis.v7i1.4542
- Oladele, F. (2015). Students’ awareness of the tripartite accounting in Bowen University, Iwo. Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, 13(2), 179-199. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFRA-05-2014-0045
- Özsözgün Çalişkan, A. (2014). How accounting and accountants may contribute in sustainability? Social Responsibility Journal, 10(2), 246-267. https://doi.org/10.1108/SRJ-04-2012-0049
- Palmer, K. N., Ziegenfuss, D. E., & Pinsker, R. E. (2004). International knowledge, skills, and abilities of auditors/accountants: Evidence from recent competency studies. Managerial Auditing Journal, 19(7), 889-896. https://doi.org/10.1108/02686900410549411
- Persson, M. E. (2016). The Purpose of Accounting Education in (ed.) A. C. Littleton’s Final Thoughts on Accounting: A Collection of Unpublished Essays (Studies in the Development of Accounting Thought, Volume 20) (Vol. 20, pp. 47-55): Emerald Group Publishing Limited. https://doi.org/10.1108/S1479-350420160000020021
- Pfeffer, J., & Fong, C. T. (2002). The end of business schools? Less success than meets the eye. Academy of management learning & education, 1(1), 78-95. https://doi.org/10.5465/amle.2002.7373679
- Picur, R. D. (2007). The effects of accounting knowledge on the omission of value-added information in wealth measurement and distribution decisions. Review of accounting and Finance, 6(1), 15-23. https://doi.org/10.1108/14757700710725430
- Salem, M. S. (2013). The future of accounting as a subject in a business school: A literature review. The journal of human resource and adult learning, 9(2), 62.
- Samsuddin, M. E., Khairani, N. S., Wahid, E. A., & Sata, F. H. A. (2015). Awareness, Motivations and Readiness for Professional Accounting Education: A Case of Accounting Students in UiTM Johor. Procedia Economics and Finance, 31, 124-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)01139-9
- Seddon, P. (1992). Formula Accounting. Accounting and Business Research, 22(86), 161-171. https://doi.org/10.1080/00014788.1992.9729431
- Strong, J., & Portz, K. (2015). IT Knowledge: What Do Accounting Students Think They Know? Do You Know More Than I Do? An Exploratory Study. The Review of Business Information Systems (Online), 19(2), 39. https://doi.org/10.19030/rbis.v19i2.9500
- Uyar, A., & Gungormus, A. H. (2011). Professional knowledge and skills required for accounting majors who intend to become auditors: Perceptions of external auditors. Business and Economics Research Journal, 2(3), 33.
- Vladu, A. B., & Cuzdriorean, D. D. (2013). Creative accounting, measurement and behavior. Annales Universitatis Apulensis: Series Oeconomica, 15(1), 107.
- Wally-Dima, L. (2011). Bridging the gap between accounting education and accounting practice: The case of the University of Botswana. IUP Journal of Accounting Research & Audit Practices, 10(4), 7.
- Waymire, G. B. (2012). Introduction for essays on the state of accounting scholarship. Accounting Horizons, 26(4), 817-819. https://doi.org/10.2308/acch-50236