Main Article Content
Purpose: The present paper focuses on the Non-Linear Programming Problem (NLPP) with equality constraints. NLPP with constraints could be solved by penalty or barrier methods.
Methodology: We apply the penalty method to the NLPP with equality constraints only. The non-quadratic penalty method is considered for this purpose. We considered a transcendental i.e. exponential function for imposing the penalty due to the constraint violation. The unconstrained NLPP obtained in this way is then processed for further solution. An improved version of evolutionary and famous meta-heuristic Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) is used for the same. The method is tested with the help of some test problems and mathematical software SCILAB. The solution is compared with the solution of the quadratic penalty method.
Results: The results are also compared with some existing results in the literature.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright for the published content.
- Andrei, N., 2008. An unconstrained optimization test functions collection. Adv. Model. Optim, 10(1), pp.147-161.
- Angeline, P.J., 1998, May. Using selection to improve particle swarm optimization.In Evolutionary Computation Proceedings, 1998. IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence., The 1998 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 84-89). IEEE.
- Ben-Tal, A. and Zibulevsky, M., 1997. Penalty/barrier multiplier methods for convex programming problems. SIAM Journal on Optimization, 7(2), pp.347-366. https://doi.org/10.1137/S1052623493259215
- Bertsekas, D.P., 1999. Nonlinear programming (pp. 191-276). Belmont: Athena scientific.
- Den Hertog, D., Roos, C. and Terlaky, T., 1994. Inverse barrier methods for linear programming. RAIRO-Operations Research, 28(2), pp.135-163. https://doi.org/10.1051/ro/1994280201351
- Du, K.L. and Swamy, M.N.S., 2016. Particle swarm optimization. In Search and optimization by metaheuristics(pp. 153-173). Birkhäuser, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-41192-7_9
- Eberhart, R. and Kennedy, J., 1995, October. A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In Micro Machine and Human Science, 1995.MHS'95., Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on (pp. 39-43). IEEE.
- Eberhart, R.C. and Shi, Y., 2000. Comparing inertia weights and constriction factors in particle swarm optimization.In Evolutionary Computation, 2000.Proceedings of the 2000 Congress on (Vol. 1, pp. 8488).IEEE.
- Feng, M. and Li, S., 2018. An approximate strong KKT condition for multiobjective optimization. TOP, 26(3), pp.489-509. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11750-018-0491-6
- Haeser, G. and Schuverdt, M.L., 2011. On approximate KKT condition and its extension to continuous variational inequalities. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, 149(3), pp.528-539. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10957-011-9802-x
- Li, W.T., Shi, X.W. and Hei, Y.Q., 2008. An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays. Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 82, pp.319-332. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER08030904
- Li, X., Sun, D. and Toh, K.C., 2018. QSDPNAL: a two-phase augmented Lagrangian method for convex quadratic semidefinite programming. Mathematical Programming Computation, pp.1-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12532-018-0137-6
- Nie, P.Y., 2006. A new penalty method for nonlinear programming. Computers & Mathematics with Applications, 52(6-7), pp.883-896. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.camwa.2006.05.012
- Parsopoulos, K.E. and Vrahatis, M.N., 2002. Particle swarm optimization method for constrained optimization problems. Intelligent Technologies–Theory and Application: New Trends in Intelligent Technologies, 76(1), pp.214-220. https://doi.org/10.1142/9789812777140_0021
- Rao, R. and Patel, V., 2013. Comparative performance of an elitist teaching-learning-based optimization algorithm for solving unconstrained optimization problems. International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations, 4(1), pp.29-50. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.ijiec.2012.09.001
- Younis, A. and Dong, Z., 2010. Trends, features, and tests of common and recently introduced global optimization methods. Engineering Optimization, 42(8), pp.691-718. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052150903386674