Main Article Content
This paper deals with the performance analysis of electrolytic and film capacitor in three phase inverter with focus of frequency aspect in ripple current. High capacitance density but low ripple current is produced in electrolytic capacitor alone in DC link of three phase inverter, which degrades the performance of life span of electrolytic capacitor. In order to overcome this problem, Hybrid connection type of capacitor bank is used in order to increase the life span of electrolytic capacitor. A film capacitor is connected parallel with electrolytic capacitor.
Film capacitor has, low capacitance density, high ripple current and very reliable. From this combination, electrolytic capacitor has slow absorption of energy whereas film capacitor has absorption of high frequency harmonic. This combination makes longer life span for electrolytic capacitor. In meantime, it reduces the capacitance losses, heating and hotspot temperature rise in electrolytic capacitor. In this paper, analysis of film and electrolytic capacitor is done in MATLAB software and its results are compared.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright for the published content.
- R. Garcia-Rojo and D. Olalla, DC Link Capacitor for Industrial Applications, Proceedings of CARTS Europe 2008, October 20-23,Helsinki, Finland, 2008.
- E. D. Sawyer, Low Inductance-Low Temp Rise DC Bus Capacitor properties Enabling the Optimization of High Power Inverters, Proceedings of PCIM 2010, May 4-10, Nuremberg, Germany, 2010.
- S. Weir, Bypass Filter Design Consideration for modern Digital System, A Comparative Evaluation of the Big V, Multi-pole and Many Pole Bypass Strategies, Design on East 2005.
- Brendan Peter McGrath and Donald Grahame Holmes, A General analytical Method for Calculating Inverter DC-Link Current Harmonics, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 45, No. 5, September/October 2009.
- Microcap 10, Spectrum Software, 1021 South Wolfe Road, Suite 130, Sunnyvale, A.
- M.A. Brubaker, T.A. Hosking and T.F. Von Kampen, Life testing of High-Value Annular Form Factor DC Link Capacitor for Application with 105 C Coolan, Proceeding of PCIM 2011, Nuremdurg, Germany, May17-19,2013.
- D. Amudhavalli, L. Narendran, Improved Z source inverter for speed control of an induction motor.
- David A. Evans, Scott Rackey, Hybrid capacitor application, Evans capacitor company no.72, Boyd Avenue, East Providence.
- Dr. Arne albertsen, Electrolytic capacito”, Jiangai Europe Gmbh.
- Jack Flicker, Robert Kaplar, Mathew Marinella and Jennifer Granata.”Lifetime testing of metallised thin film capacitors for inverter applications”. Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque/nm.