Purpose of the study: This study aimed to understand the meaning perception of hope and optimism about the future of Islam in Indonesia.
Methodology: The study used discourse analysis, the collection of data obtained through observation, in-depth interview and documentation.
Main Findings: Results of the study showed confidence in the future of Indonesian Islam is based on optimism.
Applications of this study: the research has done in pesantren Tarbiyatut Tholabah Kranji. The participant of the study was a student of pesantren (santri) as well as the student of Islamic higher education, IAI Tarbiyatut Tholabah.
Novelty/Originality of this study: The strong optimism on the future of Indonesian Islam supported by a moderate Islamic view is always responsive to changes in society.
- Chang, E. C. (1998). Distinguishing between optimism and pessimism: A second look at the optimism–neuroticism hypothesis. International Congress of Psychology, 26th, Aug 1996, Montreal, Canada; Portions of This Study Were Presented at the Aforementioned Congress. American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/10290-019
- Chang, E. C. (2001). Optimism & pessimism: Implications for theory, research, and practice. American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/10385-000
- Chang, E. C., Maydeu-Olivares, A., & D’Zurilla, T. J. (1997). Optimism and pessimism as partially independent constructs: Relationship to positive and negative affectivity and psychological well-being. Personality and Individual Differences, 23(3), 433–440. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(97)80009-8
- Geertz, C., Mahasin, A., & Rasuanto, B. (1983). Abangan, santri, priyayi: dalam masyarakat Jawa. Pustaka Jaya.
- Gillespie, P. (2007). Current issues in Indonesian Islam: analysing the 2005 Council of Indonesian Ulama Fatwa No. 7 opposing pluralism, liberalism and secularism. Journal of Islamic Studies, 18(2), 202–240. https://doi.org/10.1093/jis/etm001
- Grant, H., & Higgins, E. T. (2003). Optimism, promotion pride, and prevention pride as predictors of quality of life. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29(12), 1521–1532. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167203256919
- Kipp, R. S. (1996). Dissociated identities: Ethnicity, religion, and class in an Indonesian society. University of Michigan Press.
- Kurniasih, N., & Riyadhsyah, T. (2017). Virtual ethnography study of inter-lecturer communication in national young lecturers forum WhatsApp group. 8th International Conference of Asian Association of Indigenous and Cultural Psychology (ICAAIP 2017). Atlantis Press. https://doi.org/10.2991/icaaip-17.2018.10
- Moraitou, D., Kolovou, C., Papasozomenou, C., & Paschoula, C. (2006). Hope and adaptation to old age: Their relationship with individual-demographic factors. Social Indicators Research, 76(1), 71–93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-005-4857-4
- Peterson, C., & Seligman, M. E. P. (2004). Character strengths and virtues: A handbook and classification (Vol. 1). Oxford University Press.
- Riddell, P. G. (2001). Islam and the Malay-Indonesian world: Transmission and responses. University of Hawaii Press.
- Rodli, A. F., Prasnowo, A., Wajdi, M. B. N., & Sajiyo, S. (2019). Building a Culture of Learning to Accelerate the Advancement of Higher Learning. International Conference on Religion and Public Civilization (ICRPC 2018). Atlantis Press. https://doi.org/10.2991/icrpc-18.2019.5
- Sethi, S., & Seligman, M. E. P. (1993). Optimism and fundamentalism. Psychological Science, 4(4), 256–259. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9280.1993.tb00271.x
- Snyder, C Richard. (2000a). Genesis: The birth and growth of hope. In Handbook of hope (pp. 25–38). Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-012654050-5/50004-X
- Snyder, C Richard. (2000b). Hypothesis: There is hope. In Handbook of hope (pp. 3–21). Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-012654050-5/50003-8
- Snyder, C Richard, Hoza, B., Pelham, W. E., Rapoff, M., Ware, L., Danovsky, M., … Stahl, K. J. (1997). The development and validation of the Children’s Hope Scale. Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 22(3), 399–421. https://doi.org/10.1093/jpepsy/22.3.399
- Snyder, C Richard, Shorey, H. S., Cheavens, J., Pulvers, K. M., Adams III, V. H., & Wiklund, C. (2002). Hope and academic success in college. Journal of Educational Psychology, 94(4), 820. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.110
- Snyder, C Rick, Sympson, S. C., Ybasco, F. C., Borders, T. F., Babyak, M. A., & Higgins, R. L. (1996). Development and validation of the State Hope Scale. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 70(2), 321. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1681
- Snyder, Charles R, Harris, C., Anderson, J. R., Holleran, S. A., Irving, L. M., Sigmon, S. T., … Harney, P. (1991). The will and the ways: Development and validation of an individual differences measure of hope. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 60(4), 570. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240
- Snyder, Charles Richard. (1994). The psychology of hope: You can get there from here. Simon and Schuster.
- Tjahjono, H. (2003). Kepemimpinan dimensi keempat: selamat tinggal krisis kepemimpinan. Elex Media Komputindo.
- Wajdi, M. B. N. (2016). Spiritual Counseling As An Alternative Problem Solving. Education : Journal of Education, 1(2), 11–28. Retrieved from http://ejournal.staimnglawak.ac.id/index.php/educatio/article/view/27