Authors retain ownership of the copyright for their content.
ANTECEDENTS OF CONSUMERS’ DECISION FOR HALALMART SHOPPING: THE MODERATING ROLE OF FAMILY RELIGIOUS COMMITMENT
Corresponding Author(s) : Wiwiek Rabiatul Adawiyah
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 1 (2020): January
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to analyze the role of religious commitment of family members in moderating the influence of Islamic cultural variables, Islamic social environment, Islamic and psychological personalities, on consumer decision in making a transaction at Halal mart.
Methodology: The analytical method used to test the relationship between variables is Structural Equation Modelling (SEM), the number of the sample used is 340 of Halal Mart customers. Whereas the moderating role of religious commitment was tested using Confirmatory Factor Analysis.
Main Findings: The conclusion from this study is that the commitment factor in practicing Islamic religion from within the family moderates the relationship between personality and Islamic psychology towards Muslim consumer behavior, meanwhile The Islamic cultural factors and social environmental factors are not moderated by family commitment in practicing the Islamic Religion.
Implication: This study found that to improve Muslim customers buying decisions, a company needs to acknowledge the background of consumer’s character derived from cultural influences, social environment, personality, and psychology. Moreover, Halal mart also needs to be closer to community groups or religious organizations that have a stronger commitment towards religion, making it easier to promote their products.
Novelty/Originality of this Study: To date, there are no studies that examine family religious commitment towards Islam, as a moderating variable in the relationship of cultural, social, personality and psychological variables to consumer buying decisions for shopping at Halal mart in Indonesia.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Adawiyah, W. (2015). Impression management tactics, work-related behavior and perceived individual performance of sales clerks: a case of Indonesia. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research, 13(7), 5481-5501.
- Adawiyah, W. R., & Pramuka, B. A. (2017). Scaling the notion of Islamic spirituality in the workplace. Journal of Management Development, 36(7), 877-898. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-11-2014-0153
- Adawiyah, W. R., & Pramuka, B. A. (2018). The Contagion Effect of Muslim Street Rallies on Stocks' Volatility: Is it a Political Risk for Investors? Jurnal Keuangan dan Perbankan, 22(4), 594-605. https://doi.org/10.26905/jkdp.v22i4.2123
- Adi, P. H., Wihuda, F., & Adawiyah, W. R. (2017). The role of social media browsing intention for behavioral outcomes of young consumers. Trziste= Market, 29(1), 39. https://doi.org/10.22598/mt/2017.29.1.39
- Ahmad, A. N., Rahman, A. A., & Ab Rahman, S. (2015). Assessing knowledge and religiosity on consumer behavior towards halal food and cosmetic products. International Journal of Social Science and Humanity, 5(1), 10. https://doi.org/10.7763/IJSSH.2015.V5.413
- Ajzen, Icek. (1991). The Theory of Planned Behavior. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50, 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Gorsuch, R. L., Mylvaganam, G., & Gorsuch, K. (1997). Perceived religious motivation. The International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, 7(4), 253-261. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327582ijpr0704_6
- Bailey, J. M., & Sood, J. (1993). The effects of religious affiliation on consumer behavior: A preliminary investigation. Journal of Managerial Issues.
- Bravo Gil, R., Fraj Andres, E., & Martinez Salinas, E. (2007). Family as a source of consumer-based brand equity. Journal of product & brand management, 16(3), 188-199. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420710751564
- Bohari, A. M., Hin, C. W., & Fuad, N. (2017). The competitiveness of halal food industry in Malaysia: A SWOT-ICT analysis. Geografia-Malaysian Journal of Society and Space, 9(1).
- Bonne, K., Vermeir, I., & Verbeke, W. (2008). Impact of religion on halal meat consumption decision making in Belgium. Journal of International Food & Agribusiness Marketing, 21(1), 5-26. https://doi.org/10.1080/08974430802480628
- Boudt, K., Raza, M. W., & Wauters, M. (2019). Evaluating the Shariah-compliance of equity portfolios: The weighting method matters. International review of financial analysis, 63, 406-417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2017.12.003
- Chandrasekar, K., & Vinay Raj, R. (2013). Family and Consumer Behavior. International Journal of Management and Social Sciences Research (IJMSSR), 2(7), 17-20.
- Chiu, H.-C., Hsieh, Y.-C., Kao, Y.-H., & Lee, M. (2007). The determinants of email receivers' disseminating behaviors on the Internet. Journal of Advertising Research, 47(4), 524-534. https://doi.org/10.2501/S0021849907070547
- Cyril De Run, E., Mohsin Butt, M., Fam, K. S., & Yin Jong, H. (2010). Attitudes towards offensive advertising: Malaysian Muslims' views. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 1(1), 25-36. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831011026204
- Delener, N. (1994). Religious contrasts in consumer decision behavior patterns: their dimensions and marketing implications. European Journal of Marketing, 28(5), 36-53.. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090569410062023
- Eliasi, J. R., & Dwyer, J. T. (2002). Kosher and Halal: religious observances affecting dietary intakes. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 102(7), 911. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(02)90203-8
- Engel, J., Blackwell, R., & Miniard, P. (1986). Social influence. Consumer behavior. 5th ed. New York: CBS College Publishing, 305-326.
- Essoo, N., & Dibb, S. (2004). Religious influences on shopping behavior: an exploratory study. Journal of marketing management, 20(7-8), 683-712. https://doi.org/10.1362/0267257041838728
- Fam, K.S., Waller, D.S. and Erdogan, B.Z. (2002), "The influence of religion on attitudes towards the advertising of controversial products", European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 38 No. 5, pp 537 - 55. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560410529204
- Hari Adi, P., & Adawiyah, W. R. (2018). The impact of religiosity, environmental marketing orientation and practices on performance: A case of Muslim entrepreneurs in Indonesia. Journal of Islamic Marketing. https://doi.org/10.1108/JIMA-09-2016-0067
- Haugtvedt, C. P., Petty, R. E., & Cacioppo, J. T. (1992). Need for cognition and advertising: Understanding the role of personality variables in consumer behavior. Journal of consumer psychology, 1(3), 239-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(08)80038-1
- Hirschman, E. C. (1983). Religious affiliation and consumption processes: an initial paradigm. Research in marketing, 6(1), 131-170.
- Ireland, J., & Abdollah Rajabzadeh, S. (2011). UAE consumer concerns about halal products. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 2(3), 274-283. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831111164796
- Johnson, B. R., Jang, S. J., Larson, D. B., & De Li, S. (2001). Does adolescent religious commitment matter? A reexamination of the effects of religiosity on delinquency. Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, 38(1), 22-44. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022427801038001002
- Kacen, J. J., & Lee, J. A. (2002). The influence of culture on consumer impulsive buying behavior. Journal of consumer psychology, 12(2), 163-176. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP1202_08
- Kassajian, H. H., & Sheffet, M. J. (1981). Personality and Consumer Behavior: An Update. Perspective in Consumer Behavior, ed. Harold H. Kassarjian and Thomas S. Robertson (Glenview, Ill.: Scott, Foresman), 160-180.
- Kassarjian, H. H. (1971). Personality and consumer behavior: A review. Journal of marketing research, 409-418.. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224377100800401
- Ketelaar, P. E., Janssen, L., Vergeer, M., van Reijmersdal, E. A., Crutzen, R., & van't Riet, J. (2016). The success of viral ads: Social and attitudinal predictors of consumer pass-on behavior on social network sites. Journal of Business Research, 69(7), 2603-2613. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.151
- Kim, D. J., Cho, B., & Rao, H. R. (2000). Effects of consumer lifestyles on purchasing behavior on the internet: a conceptual framework and empirical validation. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the twenty first international conference on Information systems.
- Kussudyarsana, K. (2009). BUDAYA DAN PEMASARAN Tinjauan Pengaruh Budaya terhadap Perilaku Konsumen. Benefit: Jurnal Manajemen dan Bisnis, 12(2), 172-180.
- Lada, S., Harvey Tanakinjal, G., & Amin, H. (2009). Predicting intention to choose halal products using theory of reasoned action. International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, 2(1), 66-76. https://doi.org/10.1108/17538390910946276
- Lamb, C. W. (2001). Pemasaran. Jakarta: Penerbit Salemba Empat.
- Limayem, M., Khalifa, M., & Frini, A. (2000). What makes consumers buy from Internet? A longitudinal study of online shopping. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part A: Systems and Humans, 30(4), 421-432. https://doi.org/10.1109/3468.852436
- Khir, M. M., Othman, A. K., Hamzah, M. I., Demong, N. A. R., Omar, E. N., & Abbas, M. K. M. (2016). Islamic Personality Model: A Conceptual Framework. Procedia Economics and Finance, 37, 137-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30104-6
- Mehrabian, A., & Russell, J. A. (1974). An approach to environmental psychology: the MIT Press.
- Moore, E. S., Wilkie, W. L., & Lutz, R. J. (2002). Passing the torch: intergenerational influences as a source of brand equity. Journal of Marketing, 66(2), 17-37. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.220.127.116.1180
- Mukhtar, A., & Mohsin Butt, M. (2012). Intention to choose Halal products: the role of religiosity. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 3(2), 108-120. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831211232519
- Muhamad, N., & Mizerski, D. (2010). The constructs mediating religions' influence on buyers and consumers. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 1(2), 124-135. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831011055860
- Mullen, K., Williams, R., & Hunt, K. (2000). Irish descent, religion and food consumption in the west of Scotland. Appetite, 34(1), 47-54. https://doi.org/10.1006/appe.1999.0292
- Nasrullah, A. (2018). Analisis Potensi Industri Halal Bagi Pelaku Usaha Di Indonesia. At-Tahdzib: Jurnal Studi Islam dan Muamalah, 6(1), 50-78.
- Nittin Essoo, M. C. I. M., Dibb, S., & Simkin, L. (2001). A Study of Cultural Influences on Consumer Behavior in a Small Island Economy: Religious Influences on Purchasing Behavior in Mauritius.
- Park, C.-H., & Kim, Y.-G. (2003). Identifying key factors affecting consumer purchase behavior in an online shopping context. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 31(1), 16-29. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550310457818
- Parsa, A., Nooraie, M., & Aghamohamadi, A. (2016). A Comparison between Dairy Consumer Behavior of the Islamic Republic of Iran and France (with Cultural Approach). Procedia Economics and Finance, 36, 157-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)30027-2
- Pickett-Baker, J., & Ozaki, R. (2008). Pro-environmental products: marketing influence on consumer purchase decision. Journal of consumer marketing, 25(5), 281-293. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760810890516
- Ratanamaneichat, C., & Rakkarn, S. (2013). Quality assurance development of halal food products for export to Indonesia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 88, 134-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.08.488
- Robertson, T., Zielinski, J., & Ward, S. (1984). Consumer Behavior, Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman and Company. RobertsonConsumer Behavior1984.
- Sahlan, M. K., Abu-Hussin, M. F., & Hehsan, A. (2019). Market coopetition: Implications of religious identity in creating value added partnership within halal mart retailers. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 10(2), 465-475. https://doi.org/10.1108/JIMA-04-2017-0046
- Sethi, I., & Chawla, A. (2014). Influence of Cultural, Social and Marketing Factors on the Buying Behavior of Telecom Users: A Comparative Study of Rural, Semi-Urban and Urban Areas in and Around Chandigarh. Journal of Marketing Management, 2(1), 97-110.
- Shim, S., Eastlick, M. A., Lotz, S. L., & Warrington, P. (2001). An online prepurchase intentions model: The role of intention to search: Best Overall Paper Award-The Sixth Triennial AMS/ACRA Retailing Conference, 2000☆ 11☆ Decision made by a panel of Journal of Retailing editorial board members. Journal of retailing, 77(3), 397. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(01)00051-3
- Sholikhah, z., Wang, X., & Li, W. (2019). The role of spiritual leadership in fostering discretionary behaviors: the mediating effect of organization based self esteem and workplace spirituality. International Journal of Law and Management(just-accepted), 00-00. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLMA-04-2018-0081
- Soesilowati, E. S. (2011). Business opportunities for halal products in the global market: Muslim consumer behavior and halal food consumption. Journal of Indonesian Social Sciences and Humanities, 3, 151-160. https://doi.org/10.14203/jissh.v3i1.50
- Sood, J., & Nasu, Y. (1995). Religiosity and nationality: An exploratory study of their effect on consumer behavior in Japan and the United States. Journal of Business Research, 34(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(94)00015-7
- Sutisna. (2002). Perilaku Konsumen dan Komunikasi Pemasaran. Bandung: PT Remaja Rosdakarya.
- Warsito, Chandra. (2015). The image of finacial institution as islamic bank in mediation service quality and customer satisfaction on consumer loyalty in purwokerto. Jurnal Al-Iqtishad Vol. VII No.2, 217-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(94)00015-7
- Warsito, Chandra and Wiwiek Rabiatul Adawiyah. (2019). Brand preference, segmentation and the implications on the customer of islamic banks in rural areas. Journal of Economics and Sustainability (JES), Vol 1.Issue 1, 12-21. https://doi.org/10.15408/ijies.v7i2.1699
- Yoo, B., Donthu, N., & Lee, S. (2000). An examination of selected marketing mix elements and brand equity. Journal of the academy of marketing science, 28(2), 195-211. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300282002
- Yuswohady. (2014). Marketing to the Middle Class Muslim Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama.