THE IMPORTANCE OF SUPPORTIVE LEADERSHIP IN THE SEWERAGE OPERATION INDUSTRY IN MALAYSIA: A CASE OF INDAH WATER KONSORTIUMPRIVATE LIMITED (IWK)
Corresponding Author(s) : Zainudin Awang
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose: This study intends to determine the importance of Supportive Leadership in the sewerage operation industry since the nature of work itself, together with workload and pressure, has resulted in severe occupational stress among the workers; consequently, it would translate into poor work commitment.
Methodology: The random sample was obtained from the sampling frame, which consists of employees of the sewerage operation company in Malaysia, namely, Indah water Konsortium (IWK). Data was gathered using a self-administered questionnaire given to the randomly selected respondents. Meanwhile, data were analyzed using the second-generation method of multivariate analysis called Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) in IBM-SPSS-AMOS 24.0. Furthermore, the results were reconfirmed through bootstrapping procedures.
Result: The study found Supportive Leadership fully mediates the relationship between Occupational Stress and Work Commitment. The finding of this research indicates that in this particular industry, Supportive Leadership is extremely important to transform from negative Work Commitment to positive and significant Work Commitment from the employees.
Applications: The management of sewerage operation industries needs to be supportive of their workers in order to obtain a positive and significant commitment from the workers amid the work pressure and stress.
Novelty/Originality: Unlike other industries, the sewerage operation industry (in Malaysia) is pre-occupied with work burden and under tremendous work pressure. The study that links occupational stress and work commitment are scarce, especially in this particular industry, and in developing countries like Malaysia.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abdelmoteleb, S. A. (2019). A New Look at the Relationship Between Job Stress and Organizational Commitment: A Three-Wave Longitudinal Study. Journal of Business and Psychology, 34, 321–336. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-018-9543-z
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., & Fazella, S. (2017). Perception of tourism impact and support tourism development in Terengganu, Malaysia. Social Sciences, 6(3), 106. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci6030106
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., &Fazella, S. (2017a). Perception of Tourism Impact and Support Tourism Development in Terengganu, Malaysia. Social Sciences, 6(3), 106. https://doi.org/10.3390/socsci6030106
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., Salleh, F., Ghazali, P & Rashid, N. (2018). The effect of product quality, medical price and staff skills on patient loyalty via cultural impact in medical tourism. Management Science Letters, 8(12), 1421-1424. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2018.10.004
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., Rashid, N., Foziah, H., & Ghazali, P. (2019). Assessing the effects of service quality on customer satisfaction. Management Science Letters, 9(1), 13-24. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2018.11.004
- Aimran, A. N., Ahmad, S., Afthanorhan, A., & Awang, Z. (2017). The assessment of the performance of covariance-based structural equation modelling and partial least square path modelling. In AIP Conference Proceedings (Vol. 1842, No. 1, p. 030001). AIP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4982839
- Aimran, A. N., Ahmad, S., Afthanorhan, A., & Awang, Z. (2017a). The development of comparative bias index. In AIP Conference Proceedings (Vol. 1870, No. 1, p. 060008). AIP Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4995935
- Alanazi, E. (2013). Overview of path-goal leadership theory. SainsHumanika 64 (2), 1-2. https://doi.org/10.11113/jt.v64.2235
- Al-Malki, M. & Juan, W. (2018). Leadership Styles and Job Performance: a Literature Review. Journal of International Business Research and Marketing, 3(3), 40-49. https://doi.org/10.18775/jibrm.1849-8558.2015.33.3004
- Ashforth B and Kreiner G (1999). How can you do it'? Dirty work and the challenge of constructing a positive identity. Academy of Management Review, 24(3): 413–434. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1999.2202129
- Asnawi, A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Mohamad, M., & Karim, F. (2019). The influence of hospital image and service quality on patients' satisfaction and loyalty. Management Science Letters, 9(6), 911-920. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2019.2.011
- Awang, Z. (2015). SEM Made Simple: A Gentle Approach to Learning Structural Equation Modelling. Bandar BaruBangi, MPWS Rich Resources.
- Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Mohamad, M., &Asri, M. A. M. (2015). An evaluation of measurement model for medical tourism research: the confirmatory factor analysis approach. International Journal of Tourism Policy, 6(1), 29-45. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJTP.2015.075141
- Awang, Z, Lim, SH. and Zainudin, NFS. (2018). PendekatanMudah SEM- Structural Equation Modelling. Bandar BaruBangi, MPWS Rich Resources.
- Backhaus, K., &Tikoo, S. (2004). Conceptualizing and researching employer branding. Career Development International, 9(5), 501-517. https://doi.org/10.1108/13620430410550754
- Bahkia, A. S., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Ghazali, P. L., &Foziah, H. (2019). Exploratory factor analysis on occupational stress in context of Malaysian sewerage operations. The 4th innovation and analytics conference & exhibition (IACE 2019). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5121111
- Bass, B. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1994). Improving organizational effectiveness through transformational Leadership. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Beehr, T.A. and J.E. Newman, (1978). Job stress, employee health, and organizational effectiveness: A facet analysis, model, and literature review Personnel Psychology, 31(4): 665-699. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1978.tb02118.x
- Chi, C. G., &Gursoy, D. (2009). Employee satisfaction, customer satisfaction, and financial performance: An empirical examination. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 28(2), 245–253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2008.08.003
- Choi, S. B., Kim, K., & Kang, S.-W. (2017). Effects of transformational and shared leadership styles on employees' perception of team effectiveness. Social Behavior and Personality: An international journal, 45, 377–386. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.5805
- Cohen, S., & Wills, T. A. (1985). Stress, social support, and the buffering hypothesis. Psychological Bulletin, 98, 310–357. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.98.2.310
- Cooke, F. L., Cooper, B., Bartram, T., Wang, J., & Mei, H. (2016). Mapping the relationships between high-performance work systems, employee resilience and engagement: A study of the banking industry in China. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1 –22. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2015.1137618
- Cooke, F. L., Wang, J., & Bartram, T. (2018). Can a Supportive Workplace Impact Employee Resilience under a High Pressure Performance Environment? An Investigation of the Chinese Banking Industry. Applied Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1111/apps.12184
- Cooper, B., Wang, J., Bartram, T., & Cooke, F. L. (2018). Well-being-oriented human resource management practices and employee performance in the Chinese banking sector: The role of social climate and resilience. Human Resource Management. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm.21934
- Curtis, E. A., &Glacken, M. (2014). Job satisfaction among public health nurses: a national survey. Journal of Nursing Management, 22, 5, 653–663. https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12026
- Daft, R. L., Pirola-Merlo, A., (2009). The Leadership Experience. Asia Pacific Edition 1 ed. South Melbourne: Cengage Learning Australia.
- Department of Commerce. (2017). Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by Industry accounts 1947-2017. Retrieved from https://www.bea.gov/industry/gdpbyind-data
- Dundon, T.,Wilkinson, A., Marchington,M. and Ackers, P. (2004). The meanings and purpose of employee voice, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 15 No. 6, pp. 1149-1170. https://doi.org/10.1080/095851904100016773359
- Elsaied, M. (2019). Supportive leadership and EVB, Journal of Management Development, Vol. 38 No. 3, pp. 225-237. https://doi.org/10.1108/JMD-04-2018-0119
- Emeagwal, L., &Ogbonmwan, K. O. (2018). Mapping the perceived role of strategic human resource management practices in sustainable competitive advantage. Academy of Strategic Management Journal, 17(2), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/15623599.2015.1130601
- Famakin, I. O., &Abisuga, A. O. (2016). Effect of path-goal leadership styles on the commitment of employees on construction projects. International Journal of Construction Management, 16(1), 3599. https://doi.org/10.1080/15623599.2015.1130601
- Fesharaki, F., &Sehhat, S. (2017). Islamic human resource management (iHRM) enhancing organizational justice and employees' commitment: Case of a Qard al-Hasan bank in Iran. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 9(1), 204–218. https://doi.org/10.1108/JIMA-03-2017-0029
- Ghauri, P. N., &Gronhaug, K. (2010). Research methods in business studies (4th ed.). London: FT Pearson.
- Gustafsson, J., &Hornay. P. (2014). Leadership Driving Successful Implementation of Continuous Improvement Programs- A Case Study Using the Path Goal Model. Master Thesis, Technology Management-Nr 282/2015, University of Sweden.
- Hughes E (1951). Work and the self. In: Rohrer J and Sherif M (eds) Social Psychology at the Crossroads. New York: Harper & Brothers, 313–323.
- House, R. J. (1971). A path-goal theory of leader effectiveness. Administrative Science Quarterly, 16, 321-339. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391905
- House, R. J., &Dessler, G. (1974). The path-goal theory of Leadership: Some post hoc and a priori tests. In. J. G. Hunt & L. L. Larson (Eds.), Contingency Approaches to Leadership. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press.
- Jafri, M.H., Dem, C. and Choden, S. (2016). Emotional intelligence and employee creativity: moderating role of proactive personality and organizational climate, Business Perspectives & Research, Vol. 4 No. 1, pp. 54-66. https://doi.org/10.1177/2278533715605435
- Kashif, M., Awang, Z., Walsh, J., & Altaf, U. (2015). I'm loving it but hating US: understanding consumer emotions and perceived service quality of US fast food brands. British Food Journal, 117(9), 2344-2360. https://doi.org/10.1108/BFJ-01-2015-0040
- Kashif, M., Samsi, S. Z. M., Awang, Z., & Mohamad, M. (2016). EXQ: measurement of healthcare experience quality in Malaysian settings: A contextualist perspective. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, 10(1), 27-47. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPHM-03-2015-0011
- Kent, A., &Chelladurai, P. (2001). Perceived transformational Leadership, organizational commitment, and citizenship behavior: A case study in intercollegiate athletics. Journal of Sport Management, 15(2), 135-139. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsm.15.2.135
- Khoreva, V. and Zaik, M. (2016). Antecedents of work engagement among high potential employees. Career Development International, Vol. 21 No. 5, pp. 459-476. https://doi.org/10.1108/CDI-10-2015-0131
- Kim, S., & Shin, M. (2017). Transformational leadership behaviors, the empowering process, and organizational commitment: investigating the moderating role of organizational structure in Korea. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 1–25. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2016.1278253
- Kosteas, V. (2011). Job satisfaction and promotion. Industrial relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, 50(1), 174-194. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-232X.2010.00630.x
- Krajcsák, Z. (2016). Relationships between employee commitment and organizational cultures: a theoretical framework. International Journal of Organizational Analysis. 26(3), 398-414. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOA-05-2017-1174. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOA-05-2017-1174
- Krejcie, R. V. and Morgan, D. W. (1970). Determining sample size for research activities. EducPsycholMeas. https://doi.org/10.1177/001316447003000308
- Li, C.-F. and Tian, Y.-Z. (2016). Influence of workplace ostracism on employee voice behavior, American Journal of Mathematical and Management Sciences, Vol. 35 No. 4, pp. 281-296. https://doi.org/10.1080/01966324.2016.1201444
- Li, H., Sajjad, N., Wang, Q., Muhammad Ali, A., Khaqan, Z., & Amina, S. (2019). Influence of Transformational Leadership on Employees' Innovative Work Behavior in Sustainable Organizations: Test of Mediation and Moderation Processes. Sustainability, 11(6), 1594. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11061594
- Luthans, F., Avey, J. B., Avolio, B. J., & Peterson, S. J. (2010). The development and resulting performance impact of positive psychological capital. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 21, 41–67. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.20034
- Maheshwari, V., Gunesh, P., Lodorfos, G., &Konstantopoulou, A. (2017). Exploring HR practitioners' perspective on employer branding and its role in organizational attractiveness and talent management. International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 25(5), 742-761. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOA-03-2017-1136
- Mahfouz., S., A., Awang., Z., & Muda., H. (2019). The Impact of Transformational Leadership on Employee Commitment in the Construction Industry. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 7(10).
- Mai, N. K., and Vu, H. Y., (2016). Investigate the Effects of Job Stress on Employee Job Performance — A Case Study at Dong Xuyen Industrial Zone, Vietnam. International Journal of Trade, Economics and Finance, 7(2), 31-37. https://doi.org/10.18178/ijtef.2016.7.2.495
- Maurya, K. K., & Agarwal, M. (2018). Organizational talent management and perceived employer branding. International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 26(2), 312- 330. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOA-04-2017-1147
- Mayer, R. C., &Schoorman, F. D. (1992). Predicting participation and production outcomes through a two-dimensional model of organizational commitment. Academy of Management journal, 35(3), 671-684. https://doi.org/10.2307/256492
- Mahmoud, A., (2008). A study of nurses' job satisfaction: The relationship to organizational commitment, perceived organizational support, transactional Leadership, transformational Leadership, and level of education. European Journal of Scientific Research, 22(2): 286-295.
- Meyer, J. P., & Allen, N. J. (1991). A Three-Component Conceptualization of Organizational Commitment. Human Resource Management Review, 1(1), 61–89. https://doi.org/10.1016/1053-4822(91)90011-Z
- Mohamad, M., Mohammad, M., Ali, N. A. M., & Awang, Z. (2016). Measuring Positive Youth Development: The Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA). IJABER, Vol. 14, N0. 13, (2016): 9441-9451.
- Mohamad, M., Awang, Z., Ali, N.A.M. (2017). Validating the Maqasid Shariah Prison Quality of Life (MSPQoL) among drug-abuse inmates using confirmatory factor analysis. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research. Vol. 15, No. 24, Pages 91-103.
- Mohamad, M., Ali, N.A.M., and Awang, Z. (2018). The impact of life satisfaction on substance abuse: delinquency as a mediator. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth. Open Access. Vol. 23, No.1, Pages 25-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2016.1267021
- Mohamad, M., Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., & Mohammad, M. (2019). Comparison Between CB-SEM and PLS-SEM: Testing and Confirming the Maqasid Syariah Quality of Life Measurement Model. The Journal of Social Sciences Research, 5(3), 608-614. https://doi.org/10.32861/jssr.53.608.614
- MohdAzli, R., Palil, M.R., Mohd Nor, S., Hamid, M.A., Awang, Z. (2017). The role of Ar-Rahnu's benefits - Sacrifices exchange towards relationships between customers and islamic financial institutions. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 25.
- Monyazi, N. (2015). Job Satisfaction of Primary School Teachers in Botswana. The University of Botswana, Gaborone.
- Mowday, R. T., Porter, L. W., & Steers, R. M. (2013). Employee—organization linkages: The psychology of commitment, absenteeism, and turnover. Academic press.
- Nart, S., & Batur, O. (2014). The relation between work-family conflict, job stress, organizational commitment and job performance: A study on turkish primary teachers. European Journal of Research on Education, 2(2), 72-81. https://doi.org/10.15527/ejre.201426250
- Nazarian, A., Soares, A. and Lottermoser, B. (2017). Inherited organizational performance? The perceptions of generation Y on the influence of leadership styles. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, Vol. 38 No. 8, pp. 1078-1094. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-05-2016-0119
- Northouse, P. G. (2013). Leadership: Theory and Practice (6th ed.). Los Angeles: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Odor, B. H. O., & Odor, H. O. (2019). OgwashiUku , Delta State of Nigeria, 19(1).
- Pfeffer, J. (1998). The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First. Harvard Business School Press, Boston, MA.
- Rahlin, N.A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., &Aimran, N. (2019). The Art of Covariance Based Confirmatory Factor Analysis: Evidence from SME'S. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change, 5(2), Special Edition.
- Rahman, A., Mushaireen, M., Harnizam, Z &Khazaniah., K., (2015). The study of employee satisfaction and its effects towards loyalty in hotel industry in Klang Valley, Malaysia. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(3), 147-155
- Riaz, H., N. Akhtar, Anum Moazzam, Rabia Luqman, Hina Naz, and Hafiz Tufail(2017). Leadership Effectiveness , Turnover Intention and the Mediating Role of Employee Commitment : A Case of Academic Institutions of Pakistan. European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences 6, no. 4: 526–34.
- Schmidt, B., Loerbroks, A., Herr, R. M., Wilson, M. G., Jarczok, M. N., Litaker, D., et al. (2014). Associations between supportive Leadership and employees self-rated health in an occupational sample. Int J Behav Med, 21, 750–756. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-013-9345-7
- Shamir, B., Zakay, E., Breinin, E., & Popper, M. (1998). Correlates of charismatic leader behavior in military units: Subordinates' attitudes, unit characteristics, and superiors' appraisal of leader performance. Academy of Management Journal, 41, 387–409. https://doi.org/10.2307/257080
- Shih, H.-A. and Wijaya, N.S. (2017). Team-member exchange, voice behavior, and creative work involvement. International Journal of Manpower, Vol. 38 No. 3, pp. 417-431. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJM-09-2015-0139
- Smit, B. W. (2016). Successfully leaving work at work: The self-regulatory underpinnings of psychological detachment. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 89, 493–514. https://doi.org/10.1111/joop.12137
- Swanepoel, B. J., Erasmus, B. J., & Scheck H. W. (2000). South African Human Resource Management: Theory and Practice. Kenwyn: Juta.
- Thumala A, Goold B and Loader I (2011). A tainted trade? Moral ambivalence and legitimation work in the private security industry. British Journal of Sociology, 62(2): 283–303. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-4446.2011.01365.x
- Tourish, D. (2014). Leadership, more or less? A processual, communication perspective on the role of agency in leadership theory. Leadership, Vol. 10 No. 1, pp. 79-98. https://doi.org/10.1177/1742715013509030
- Tytherleigh, M.Y., Webb, C., Cooper, C.L. & Ricketts, C. (2005). Occupational stress in UK higher education institutions: a comparative study of all staff categories. Higher Education Research & Development. 24(1): 41-61. https://doi.org/10.1080/0729436052000318569
- Vandenberg, R. J., & Scarpello, V. (2004). A longitudinal assessment of the determinant relationship between employee commitments to the occupation and the organization. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 15(6), 535-47. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030150605
- Walumbwa, F. & Lawler, J. (2003). Building Effective Organizations: Transformational Leadership, Collectivist Orientation, Work-related Attitudes and Withdrawal Behaviors in Three Emerging Economies. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 14(7), 1083-1101. https://doi.org/10.1080/0958519032000114219
- White A (2010) The Politics of Private Security: Regulation, Reform and Re-Legitimation. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Yan, A. and Xiao, Y. (2016). Servant leadership and employee voice behavior: a cross-level investigation in China. SpringerPlus, Vol. 5 No. 1, pp. 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-3264-4
- Yusof, Y., Awang, Z., Jusoff, K., & Ibrahim, Y. (2017). The influence of green practices by non-green hotels on customer satisfaction and loyalty in hotel and tourism industry. International Journal of Green Economics, 11(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJGE.2017.082716
- Zock, J.P. (2005). World at work: Cleaners. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 62, 581–584. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.2004.015032