THE IMPACT OF EMPLOYEE SAFETY CLIMATE ON SAFETY BEHAVIOR IN SMALL & MEDIUM ENTERPRISES: AN EMPIRICAL STUDY
Corresponding Author(s) : Nor Azma Rahlin
Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews,
Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Purpose of the study: The objective of this study is to examine the mediation effect of ESC on the relationship between climate constructs and intention to Safety in small and medium enterprises.
Methodology: A structured self-administrative questionnaire was distributed to the employee of the small-medium enterprise in Peninsular Malaysia using simple random sampling. The Exploratory Factor Analysis (EFA) and Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA) procedure were carried out to filter the items and validate the constructs in the study. The study tested the proposed hypotheses using the second-generation method of multivariate analysis Structural Equation Modelling (SEM. Furthermore, the results were confirmed through the bootstrapping procedure. All analysis of this study was conducted using IBM-SPSS-AMOS version 24.0.
Main Findings: All items retained from EFA results were rearranged for the field study questionnaire. The CFA results indicated that the absolute fit index (RMSEA= 0.071) CFI = 0.975, TLC = 0.964, chisq/df = 2.431 achieved the requirement level. The results of this present study revealed that employee safety climate mediated the relationship between WO, IWE, and intention to safety behavior. Additionally, results indicated that ESC is the most prominent factor of intention to safety behavior.
Applications of this study: The results from this study contribute to the improvement of proactive safety performance measures in small-medium enterprises, but further efforts are required for achieving an excellent safety performance level.
Novelty/Originality of this study: The present study adds to the literature of safety performance and provides direction for future research work in this area. Additionally, the results of this present study mark an important step towards standardizing the measurement of safety climate in small and medium industries.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Nor Azma Rahlin, Zainudin Awang, Mohamad Zulkifli Abd Rahim, Ayu Suriawaty Bahkia, E DIRECT EFFECT OF CLIMATE EMERGENCY AND SAFETY CLIMATE ON INTENTION TO SAFETY BEHAVIOR: A STUDY , Humanities & Social Sciences Reviews: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2020): May
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Abdus Satta, A., & Aiza Hussain, R. (2012). Impact of Islamic work ethics (IWEs), reward system (RS), and organizational work environment (OWE) on citizenship behavior of employees (CBE). Science International (Lahore) Journal, 24(4), 513–519.
- Afthanorhan, A., Awang, Z., Rashid, N., Foziah, H., & Ghazali, P. (2019). Assessing the effects of service quality on customer satisfaction. Management Science Letters, 9(1), 13-24. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2018.11.004
- Ajzen, I. (2006). Construction a theory of planned behavior. Retrieved from http://people.umass.edu/aizen/pdf/tpb.measurement.pdf(Accessed 20 July 2014)
- Alfayez, B., Subramaniama, C., & Mohd Zin, M. L. (2017). The effect of management commitment and workers' involvement on the construction worker's safety behavior in Saudi Arabia: The modeling role of social support. International Business Management, 11(11), 1719–1727.
- Alhyasat, K. M. K. (2012). The role of Islamic work ethics in developing organizational citizenship behavior at the Jordanian Press Foundations. Journal of Islamic Marketing, 3(2), 139–154. https://doi.org/10.1108/17590831211232555
- Ali, A. J. (1992). The Islamic work ethic in Arabia. Journal of Psychology, 126(September 2013), 507. https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.1992.10543384
- Ali, A. J., & Al-Owaihan, A. (2008). Islamic work ethic: A critical review. Cross-Cultural Management: An International Journal, 15(1), 5–19. https://doi.org/10.1108/13527600810848791
- Armitage, C. J., & Conner, M. (2001). Efficacy of the Theory of Planned Behaviour: A meta-analytic review. The British Journal of Social Psychology / the British Psychological Society, 40(Pt 4), 471–499. https://doi.org/10.1348/014466601164939
- Asnawi, A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Mohamad, M., & Karim, F. (2019). The influence of hospital image and service quality on patients’ satisfaction and loyalty. Management Science Letters, 9(6), 911-920. https://doi.org/10.5267/j.msl.2019.2.011
- Avolio, B. (2010). Pursuing authentic leadership development. In Handbook of leadership theory and practice: An HBS centennial colloquium on advancing leadership (pp. 739–768).
- Awang, Z. (2015). Introduction to SEM in AMOS. In SEM Made Simple: A gentel approach to learning the structural equation model (pp. 17–43). Bangi: MPWS Publisher.
- Awang, Z, Lim, SH., and Zainudin, NFS. (2018). Pendekatan Mudah SEM- Structural Equation Modelling. Bandar Baru Bangi, MPWS Rich Resources.
- Azjen. (2001). The theory of planned behavior: Organizational behavior and human decision processes. In Theories of Cognitive Self-Cognition (pp. 179– 211). https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Bahkia, A.S., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., Ghazali, P.L., Foziah, H. (2019). Exploratory Factor Analysis on occupational stress in the context of Malaysian sewerage operations AIP Conference Proceedings. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5121111
- Burt, C. D., Williams, S., & Wallis, D. (2012). Recruit safety expectations: relationships with trust and perceived job risk. Saf. Sci., 50, 1079–1084. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2011.11.019
- Cagno, E., Micheli, G. J. L., Masi, D., & Jacinto, C. (2013). An economic evaluation of OSH and its way to SMEs: A constructive review. Safety Science, 53, 134–152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2012.08.016
- Champahom, T., Jomnonkwao, S., Satiennam, T., Suesat, N., & Ratanavaraha, V. (2019). Modeling of safety helmet use intention among students in urban and rural Thailand based on the theory of planned behavior and Locus of Control. Social Science Journal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soscij.2019.02.003
- Chee, H., Ramayah, T., & Subramaniam, C. (2018). The relationship between critical success factors, internal control, and safety performance in the Malaysian manufacturing sector. Safety Science, 104(January), 179–188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2018.01.002
- Choudhry, R. M. (2014). Behavior-based safety on construction sites: A case study. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 70, 14–23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2014.03.007
- Conner, M., McEachan, R., Lawton, R., & Gardner, P. (2016). Basis of intentions as a moderator of the intention–health behavior relationship. Health Psychology, 35(3), 219–227. https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000261
- DeJoy, D. M. (2005). Behavior change versus culture change: Divergent approaches to managing workplace safety. Safety Science, 43(2), 105–129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2005.02.001
- Farrukh, M., Butt, S., & Mansori, S. (2015). Innovation capability: The role of Islamic work ethics. Journal of Asian Business Strategy, 5(7), 125.
- Floyde, A., Lawson, G., Shalloe, S., Eastgate, R., & D’Cruz, M. (2013). The design and implementation of knowledge management systems and e-learning for improved occupational health and safety in small to medium-sized enterprises. Safety Science, 60, 69–76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2013.06.012
- Fogarty, G. J., & Shaw, A. (2010). Safety climate and the theory of planned behavior: Towards the prediction of unsafe behavior. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 42, 1455–2459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.08.008
- Fogarty, G. J., & Shaw, A. (2010). Safety climate and the Theory of Planned Behavior: Towards the prediction of unsafe behavior. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 42(5), 1455–1459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.08.008
- Fugas, C. S., Silva, S. A., & Meliá, J. L. (2012). Another look at safety climate and safety behavior: Deepening the cognitive and social mediator mechanisms. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 45, 468–477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.08.013
- Ghouri, A. M., Khan, N. R., & Abdul Kareem, O. B. (2016). Improving Employees Behavior through Extension in Theory of Planned Behavior: A Theoretical Perspective for SMEs. International Journal of Business and Management, 11(11), 196. https://doi.org/10.5539/ijbm.v11n11p196
- Griffin, M., & Neal, A. (2000). Perceptions of Safety at work: A framework for linking safety climate to safety performance, knowledge, and motivation. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 5(3), 347–358. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89220.127.116.117
- Guo, B. H. W., Goh, Y. M., & Wong, K. L. X. (2018). A system dynamics view of a behavior-based safety program in the construction industry. Safety Science, 104(September 2017), 202–215. ttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2018.01.014
- Hall, M. E. (2006). Measuring the safety climate of steel mini-mill workers using an instrument validated by structural equation modeling. The University of Tennessee.
- Haro, E. (2010). Evaluation of perceived and observed Safety and productivity in residential construction. Unpublished. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Hayat, A. (2018). Promoting Behavior-Based Safety With Islamic Principles. Al-Irsyad: Journal of Islamic and Contemporary Issues, 3(No. 1), 50–66.
- Huyghebaert, T., Gillet, N., Lahiani, F. J., Dubois-Fleury, A., & Fouquereau, E. (2018). Psychological safety climate as a human resource development target: Effects on workers functioning through need satisfaction and thwarting. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 20(2), 169–181. https://doi.org/10.1177/1523422318756955
- Ian Glendon, A., McNally, B., Jarvis, A., Chalmers, S. L., & Salisbury, R. L. (2014). Evaluating a novice driver and pre-driver road safety intervention. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 64, 100–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.11.017
- Javadi, M., Kadkhodaee, M., Yaghoubi, M., Maroufi, M., & Shams, A. (2013). Applying the theory of planned behavior in predicting patient safety behaviors of nurses. Materia Socio-Medica, 25(1), 52–55. https://doi.org/10.5455/msm.2013.25.52-55
- Johnson, S. E., & Hall, A. (2005). The prediction of safe lifting behavior: An application of the theory of planned behavior. Journal of Safety Research, 36(1), 63–73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2004.12.004
- Khalid, M., Bashir, S., Khan, A. K., & Abbas, N. (2018). When and how abusive supervision leads to knowledge hiding behaviors: An Islamic work ethics perspective. Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 39(6), 794–806. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-05-2017-0140
- Khan, A. K., & Moss, S. (2018). When and How Subordinate Performance Leads to Abusive Supervision : A Social Dominance Perspective, 44(7), 2801–2826. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206316653930
- Kongtip, P., Yoosook, W., & Chantanakul, S. (2008). Occupational health and safety management in small and medium-sized enterprises: An overview of the situation in Thailand. Safety Science, 46(9), 1356–1368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.09.001
- Kumar, N., & Rose, R. C. (2010). Examining the link between Islamic work ethic and innovation capability. Journal of Management Development, 29(1), 79–93. https://doi.org/10.1108/02621711011009081
- Lee, C. J., & Beck, K. H. (2019). Mediational impact of perceived risk on drowsy driving intention and willingness in university students. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 63, 165–173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2019.04.008
- Lee, J., Huang, Y., Robertson, M. M., Murphy, L. A., Garabet, A., & Chang, W.-R. (2014). The external validity of a generic safety climate scale for lone workers across different industries and companies. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 63, 138–145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.10.013
- Lee, T.-Z., Wu, C.-H., & C.-W. Hong. (2007). An empirical investigation of the influence of safety climate on organizational citizenship behavior in Taiwan’s facilities. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics (JOSE), 13(3), 255–269. https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2007.11076726
- Lee, W.-G., Jeon, Y.-H., Kim, J.-W., & Jung, C.-Y. (2014). Effects of Job Security and Psychological Ownership on Turnover Intention and Innovative Behavior of Manufacturing Employees. Journal of the Korea Safety Management and Science, 16(1), 53–68. https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2014.16.1.53
- Legg, S. J., Olsen, K. B., Laird, I. S., & Hasle, P. (2015). Managing Safety in small and medium enterprises. Safety Science, 71(PC), 189–196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2014.11.007
- Li, H., Lu, M., Hsu, S. C., Gray, M., & Huang, T. (2015). Proactive behavior-based safety management for construction safety improvement. Safety Science, 75, 107–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2015.01.013
- Liu, X., Huang, G., Huang, H., Wang, S., Xiao, Y., & Weiqing Chen. (2015). Safety climate, safety behavior, and worker injuries in the Chinese manufacturing industry. Safety Science, 78, 173–178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2015.04.023
- Lund, J., & Aarø, L. (2004). Accident prevention. Presentation of a model emphasizing human, structural and cultural factors. Safety Science, 42(4), 271–324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-7535(03)00045-6
- Ma, Q., & Yuan, J. (2009). An exploratory study on safety climate in Chinese manufacturing enterprises. Safety Science, 47(7), 1043–1046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2009.01.007
- Mahfouz., S., A., Awang., Z., & Muda., H. (2019). The Impact of Transformational Leadership on Employee Commitment in the Construction Industry. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity, and Change, 7(10).
- Mahmud, M., & Yusof, S. M. (2018). The influence of religiosity on safety behavior of workers: A Proposed Framework. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 26(1), 1–20.
- Masi, D., & Cagno, E. (2015). Barriers to OHS interventions in small and medium-sized enterprises. Safety Science, 71, 226–241. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2014.05.020
- Masi, D., Cagno, E., Micheli, G. J. L., Cagno, E., & Micheli, G. J. L. (2015). Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating OSH Interventions in SMEs : A Pilot, Exploratory Study Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating OSH Interventions in SMEs : A Pilot, Exploratory Study. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 20(385–405). https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2014.11077059
- Mayhew, M. G., Ashkanasy, N. M., Bramble, T., & Gardner, J. (2007). A study of the antecedents and consequences of psychological ownership in organizational settings. The Journal of Social Psychology, 147(5), 477–500. https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.147.5.477-500
- McLain, D. L. (2014). Sensitivity to social information, social referencing, and safety attitudes in a hazardous occupation. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 19(4), 425–436. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0037126
- Mearns, K., Whitaker, S. M., & Flin, R. (2003). Safety climate, safety management practice, and safety performance in offshore environments. Safety Science, 41(8), 641–680. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-7535(02)00011-5
- Mohammad, J., Quoquab, F., Idris, F., Al-Jabari, M., Hussin, N., & Wishah, R. (2018). The relationship between Islamic work ethic and workplace outcome: A partial least squares approach. Personal Review. https://doi.org/10.1108/PR-05-2017-0138
- Mohamad, M., Mohammad, M., Ali, N. A. M., & Awang, Z. (2016). Measuring Positive Youth Development: The Confirmatory Factor Analysis (CFA). IJABER, Vol. 14, N0. 13, (2016): 9441-9451.
- Mohamad, M., Awang, Z., Ali, N.A.M. (2017). Validating the Maqasid Shariah Prison Quality of Life (MSPQoL) among drug-abuse inmates using confirmatory factor analysis. International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research. Vol. 15, No. 24, Pages 91-103.
- Mohamad, M., Ali, N.A.M., and Awang, Z. (2018). The impact of life satisfaction on substance abuse: delinquency as a mediator. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth. Open Access. Vol. 23, No.1, Pages 25-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2016.1267021
- Mullen, J., Kelloway, E. K., & Teed, M. (2017). Employer safety obligations, transformational leadership, and their interactive effects on employee safety performance. Safety Science, 91, 405–412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2016.09.007
- Nahrgang, J. D., Morgeson, F. P., & Hofmann, D. A. (2011). Safety at work: A meta-analytic investigation of the link between job demands, job resources, burnout, engagement, and Safety outcomes. The Journal of Applied Psychology, 96(1), 71–94. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0021484
- Nguyen, D. T. N., Teo, S. T. T., Grover, S. L., & Nguyen, N. P. (2017). Psychological safety climate and workplace bullying in Vietnam’s public sector. Public Management Review, 00(00), 1–22. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2016.1272712
- Peng, H., & Pierce, J. (2015). Job- and organization-based psychological ownership: Relationship and outcomes. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 30(2), 645–658. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940010305270
- Pierce, J. L., & Jussila, I. (2011). Psychological ownership and the organizational context: Theory, research evidence, and application. (C. L. Cooper, Ed.). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing. https://doi.org/10.4337/9780857934451
- Pierce, J. L., Kostova, T., & Dirks, K. T. (2003). The state of psychological ownership: Integrating and extending a century of research. Review of General Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-2618.104.22.168
- Pierce, J. L., & Rodgers, L. (2004). The psychology of ownership and worker-owner productivity. Group & Organization Management. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601103254270
- Rahlin, N.A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., & Aimran, N. (2019). Antecedents and Consequences of Employee Safety Climate in Small Manufacturing Enterprises: Translation, Validation, and Application of Generic Safety Climate Questionnaire. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity, and Change, 7(10).
- Rahlin, N.A., Awang, Z., Afthanorhan, A., & Aimran, N. (2019a). The Art of Covariance Based Confirmatory Factor Analysis: Evidence from SME’S. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity, and Change, 5(2), Special Edition
- Rahman, A., Muhamad, & N. Othman. (2006). The relationship between Islamic work ethics and organizational commitment: A case analysis. Malaysian Management Review, 41(1), 79–89.
- Rezaei, R., Mianaji, S., & Ganjloo, A. (2018). Factors affecting farmers’ intention to engage in on-farm food safety practices in Iran: Extending the theory of planned behavior. Journal of Rural Studies, 60(April), 152–166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrurstud.2018.04.005
- Rizk, R. (2008). Back to basics: An Islamic perspective on business and work ethics. https://doi.org/10.1108/17471110810856992
- Robertsen, Ø., Siebler, F., Eisemann, M., Hegseth, M. N., Føreland, S., & Vangberg, H.-C. B. (2018). Predictors of Respiratory Protective Equipment Use in the Norwegian Smelter Industry: The Role of the Theory of Planned Behavior, Safety Climate, and Work Experience in Understanding Protective Behavior. Frontiers in Psychology, 9(August), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01366
- Salahudin, S. N. bin, Baharuddin, S. S. Binti, Abdullah, M. S., & Osman, A. (2016). The effect of Islamic work ethics on organizational commitment. Procedia Economics and Finance, 35(October 2015), 582–590. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(16)00071-X
- Schneider, B., & Barbera, K. M. (2014). The Oxford handbook of organizational climate and culture. Oxford University Press. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199860715.001.0001
- Sehhat, S., Mahmoudzadeh, S. M., Ashena, M., & Parsa, S. (2015). Positive psychological capital : The role of Islamic work ethics in Tehran Public Organizations. Iranian Journal of Management Studies (IJMS), 8(4), 545–566.
- Sheeran, P., & Webb, T. L. (2016). The Intention–Behavior Gap. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 10(9), 503–518. https://doi.org/10.1111/spc3.12265
- Silla, I., & Gamero, N. (2018). Psychological safety climate and professional drivers’ well-being: The mediating role of time pressure. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 53, 84–92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2017.12.002
- Sinclair, R. R., Martin, J. E., & Sears, L. E. (2010). Labor unions and safety climate: Perceived union safety values and retail employee safety outcomes. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 42(5), 1477–1487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.11.003
- Shkeer, A.S., and Awang, Z. (2019). Exploring Items for Measuring Marketing Information System Construct: An Exploratory Factor analysis. International Review of Management and Marketing, 9(6), 87-97. https://doi.org/10.32479/irmm.8622
- Shkeer, A.S., and Awang, Z. (2019a). The Impact of Marketing Information System Components on Organizational Decision Making: A case of five-star hotels in Jordan. International Review of Management and Marketing, 9(6), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.32479/irmm.8622
- SME Corporation Malaysia. (2017a). Key Statistics on SMEs. In SME Annual Report 2016/2017 (pp. 8–9). Kuala Lumpur: SME Corporation Malaysia.
- SME Corporation Malaysia. (2017b). SME Developments and Outlook. In SME Annual Report 2016/2017 (pp. 14–34). Kuala Lumpur.
- Smith, T. D. (2017). An assessment of safety climate, job satisfaction, and turnover intention relationships using a national sample of workers from the USA. International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, 3548(January 2017), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2016.1268446
- Townsend, S. S. M., & Thompson, L. L. (2013). Implications of the Protestant work ethic for cooperative and mixed-motive teams. Organizational Psychology Review, 4(May), 4–26. https://doi.org/10.1177/2041386613492168
- Tremblay, A., & Badri, A. (2018a). A novel tool for evaluating occupational health and safety performance in small and medium-sized enterprises : The case of the Quebec forestry/pulp and paper industry. Safety Science, 101(August 2017), 282–294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2017.09.017
- Tremblay, A., & Badri, A. (2018b). Assessment of occupational health and safety performance evaluation tools: State of the art and challenges for small and medium-sized enterprises. Safety Science, 101(May 2017), 260–267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2017.09.016
- Unnikrishnan, S., Iqbal, R., Singh, A., & Nimkar, I. M. (2015). Safety management practices in small and medium enterprises in India. Safety and Health at Work, 6(1), 46–55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shaw.2014.10.006
- Uryan, Y. (2010). Organizational safety culture and individual safety behavior: A case study of the Turkish National Police Aviation Department. The University of Central Florida.
- Van Dyne, L., & Pierce, J. L. (2004). Psychological ownership and feelings of possession: Three field studies predicting employee attitudes and organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 25(4), 439–459. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.249
- Vinodkumar, M. ., & Bhasi, M. (2010). Safety management practices and safety behavior: Assessing the mediating role of safety knowledge and motivation. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 42(6), 2082–2093. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2010.06.021
- Wagner, S. H., Parker, C. P., & Christiansen, N. D. (2003). Employees that think and act like owners: Effects of own beliefs and behaviors on organizational effectiveness. Personnel Psychology, 56(4), 847–871. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2003.tb00242.x
- Weatherford, B. H. (2011). Patient safety: A multi-climate approach to the nursing work environment. Unpublished. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781107415324.004
- Wong, D. B., & Lee, S. G. (2016). Modeling the predictors of intention in workplace safety compliance of a multi-ethnic workforce. Safety Science, 88, 155–165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2016.05.003
- Yousef, D. (2000). Organizational commitment as a mediator of the relationship between Islamic work ethic and attitudes toward organizational change. Human Relations, 53(4), 513–537. https://doi.org/10.1177/0018726700534003
- Yousef, D. (2001). Islamic work ethic – A moderator between organizational commitment and job satisfaction in a cross‐cultural context. Personnel Review, 30(2), 152–169. https://doi.org/10.1108/00483480110380325
- Yusof, Y., Awang, Z., Jusoff, K., & Ibrahim, Y. (2017). The influence of green practices by non-green hotels on customer satisfaction and loyalty in the hotel and tourism industry. International Journal of Green Economics, 11(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJGE.2017.082716
- Zhang, Y., Fang, Y., Wei, K. K., & Chen, H. (2010). Exploring the role of psychological Safety in promoting the intention to continue sharing knowledge in virtual communities. International Journal of Information Management, 30(5), 425–436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2010.02.003
- Zhou, Q., Fang, D., & Wang, X. (2008). A method to identify strategies for the improvement of human safety behavior by considering safety climate and personal experience. Safety Science, 46(10), 1406–1419. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.10.005
- Zohar, D. (1980). Safety climate in industrial organizations: Theoretical and applied implications. The Journal of Applied Psychology, 65(1), 96–102. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.65.1.96
- Zohar, D. (2008). Safety climate and beyond: A multi-level multi-climate framework. Safety Science, 46(3), 376–387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.03.006
- Zohar, D. (2010). Thirty years of safety climate research: Reflections and future directions. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 42(5), 1517–1522. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2009.12.019
- Zohar, D., Huang, Y. H., Lee, J., & Robertson, M. M. (2015). Testing extrinsic and intrinsic motivation as explanatory variables for the safety climate-safety performance relationship among long-haul truck drivers. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 30, 84–96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trf.2015.01.014
- Zohar, D., Huang, Y., Lee, J., & Robertson, M. (2014). A mediation model linking dispatcher leadership and work ownership with safety climate as predictors of truck driver safety performance. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 62, 17–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2013.09.005